Riding on sidewalks

Ryanotokyo said:
Where else can the kids and grannies ride?
No one in their right mind would cite a kid or an elderly person for riding on the sidewalk, especially at the rate they are likely to be riding. It's the ones riding at the faster speeds that they are worried about, because they come up on pedestrians so fast, and usually don't wait with the pedestrians to cross the sidewalk when the light flashes for them. But most people should be riding on the roads.

nanook08 said:
No one in their right mind would cite a kid or an elderly person for riding on the sidewalk, especially at the rate they are likely to be riding. It's the ones riding at the faster speeds that they are worried about, because they come up on pedestrians so fast, and usually don't wait with the pedestrians to cross the sidewalk when the light flashes for them. But most people should be riding on the roads.
Yea - but if it's illegal, then it's illegal. I can't imagine any law saying that you can ride on the footpath if you're under 16 or over 60, but not otherwise. It just wouldn't be enforceable. And then what do you do about the cyclist who's 40, but just out of hospital after a heart bypass or something, or a 22yr old with a disability, or just someone who WANTS to ride slowly. These people should not be, and can't feasibly be forced onto the road by any caring society.

burninrubber said:
I have to say that it is hard to ride sidewalk or road. My son (18yrs) has been bumped a couple of times riding on the road, so then I told him to ride on the sidewalk and I would pay the fine. Two days ago my husband was riding his bike on the sidewalk, thinking all was good, watching the road as well as the sidewalk. There was a car on his right about to make a right hand turn in a car, my husband and him had eye contact, did the nod and he let my huband proceed across the intersection when **WHAM**. An SUV driven by a young man decided to not stop before the stop sign and my husband was mangled. That is how I came across your site looking for information on biking accidents and broken backs! That is right I said broken backs!
I have to say that was easily the worst day of my life, having a police officer bring the bike to my door and then drive me to the hospital where my husband was. The whole way reaming me out in the backseat about my husband being on the sidewalk instead of the road, and that even though the driver was also at fault my husband was an inexcusable idiot for being on the sidewalk! I had no idea how my husband was, if he was dead or alive, but I had this cop freaking on me about the laws in our city.
My husbands broke the L2 and L4 vertabrae in his back and fractured his hand. He is at home in bed for 6-8 wks with me looking after him.
What I see is that you can't win. He is very lucky to be alive, and he thought he was being so safe. From now on all bikers have a spot in my prayers everyday! Ride safe, be aware, and watch out for @$$ holes! I hope everyone that thinks they are safer on the sidewalks realizes differently now!
One leisurly bike ride has ruined our year, Christmas and all. At least our 5 children still have thei father! Thank God!:confused: :mad:
Very sorry to hear of this accident. This is the very reason that cautious people should be legally allowed to ride on the pavement if they choose to. Accidents like this will still happen, of course, but your husband would not get blamed for fault.