Riding on the beach

Last week I was out for a ride on my Ridgeback Storm Hybrid along
Hastings and Bexhill seafront when I got a sudden urge to ride along
the beach. I hadn't ever done it before I haven't seen anyone else
doing it either. It was low tide and foggy and the visibility was not
very good, I rode along the hard(ish) sand near to the surf.

It was an absolutely fabulous experience, I am not sure why but it was
lovely. I could have done it for hours but I ran out of beach.

Now I know this is probably not the best way to treat a bike and it did
get pretty well covered in sea water and sand but gave it a full wash
when I got home and as far as I can see its all OK.

So does anyone else ride on the beach, I strongly recommend it !

[email protected] composed the following;:
> Last week I was out for a ride on my Ridgeback Storm Hybrid along
> Hastings and Bexhill seafront when I got a sudden urge to ride along
> the beach. I hadn't ever done it before I haven't seen anyone else
> doing it either. It was low tide and foggy and the visibility was not
> very good, I rode along the hard(ish) sand near to the surf.
>
> It was an absolutely fabulous experience, I am not sure why but it was
> lovely. I could have done it for hours but I ran out of beach.
>
> Now I know this is probably not the best way to treat a bike and it
> did get pretty well covered in sea water and sand but gave it a full
> wash when I got home and as far as I can see its all OK.
>
> So does anyone else ride on the beach, I strongly recommend it !

Everytime we're near a beach we try to.

Following the waterline is great fun, but causes mucho grief to the
components, especially if you're racing the kids .. ;)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last week I was out for a ride on my Ridgeback Storm Hybrid along
> Hastings and Bexhill seafront when I got a sudden urge to ride along
> the beach. I hadn't ever done it before I haven't seen anyone else
> doing it either. It was low tide and foggy and the visibility was not
> very good, I rode along the hard(ish) sand near to the surf.
>
> It was an absolutely fabulous experience, I am not sure why but it was
> lovely. I could have done it for hours but I ran out of beach.
>
> Now I know this is probably not the best way to treat a bike and it did
> get pretty well covered in sea water and sand but gave it a full wash
> when I got home and as far as I can see its all OK.
>
> So does anyone else ride on the beach, I strongly recommend it !

If you get the chance do it in southern Brittany - kilometres of sparkling
golden sand and sun - not to be missed.
Chris

[email protected] wrote:
> Last week I was out for a ride on my Ridgeback Storm Hybrid along
> Hastings and Bexhill seafront when I got a sudden urge to ride along
> the beach. I hadn't ever done it before I haven't seen anyone else
> doing it either. It was low tide and foggy and the visibility was not
> very good, I rode along the hard(ish) sand near to the surf.
>
> It was an absolutely fabulous experience, I am not sure why but it was
> lovely. I could have done it for hours but I ran out of beach.
>
> Now I know this is probably not the best way to treat a bike and it did
> get pretty well covered in sea water and sand but gave it a full wash
> when I got home and as far as I can see its all OK.
>
> So does anyone else ride on the beach, I strongly recommend it !

I used to ride on the beach when I was a kid. Hard work is soft sand,
fun on firm, wet sand I recall.

MSeries wrote:

> I used to ride on the beach when I was a kid. Hard work is soft sand,
> fun on firm, wet sand I recall.

And next to impossible on a pebble beach

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>

>> I used to ride on the beach when I was a kid. Hard work is soft sand,
>> fun on firm, wet sand I recall.

> And next to impossible on a pebble beach
>
> Tony

Probably. The stretch of beach near to where I grew up was sandy and
flat with lots of washed up rubbish, dumped rubbish, sea coal & sea coal
hawkers, WWII block houses.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:45:21 +0000, MSeries <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The stretch of beach near to where I grew up was sandy and
>flat with lots of washed up rubbish, dumped rubbish, sea coal & sea coal
>hawkers, WWII block houses.

Sounds idyllic. Dungeness?

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> MSeries wrote:
>>
>> I used to ride on the beach when I was a kid. Hard work is soft sand,
>> fun on firm, wet sand I recall.

> And next to impossible on a pebble beach

Actually, pebbly, rocky beaches with bits of sand and stuff are an
interesting technical challenge on a mountain bike.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.

Al C-F wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:45:21 +0000, MSeries <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>The stretch of beach near to where I grew up was sandy and
>>flat with lots of washed up rubbish, dumped rubbish, sea coal & sea coal
>>hawkers, WWII block houses.

> Sounds idyllic. Dungeness?

Crimdon, just north of Hartlepool

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> MSeries wrote:
> >
> > I used to ride on the beach when I was a kid. Hard work is soft sand,
> > fun on firm, wet sand I recall.

> And next to impossible on a pebble beach
>
> Tony

Hastings and Bexhill is all pebble but at low tide there is hard wet
sand, I did have to lift it over and through a number of groynes. I
think I will try and find out when the lowest tiudes are and have
another go.

Paul - *** wrote:
> [email protected] composed the following;:
>> So does anyone else ride on the beach, I strongly recommend it !

> Everytime we're near a beach we try to.
>
> Following the waterline is great fun, but causes mucho grief to the
> components, especially if you're racing the kids .. ;)

That's what hire bikes are for. :)

It's a fine line between sand that's too dry and soft at the top of the
beach and too wet (and soft) in/near the water.

hippy

In article <[email protected]>, hippy
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > Everytime we're near a beach we try to.
> >
> > Following the waterline is great fun, but causes mucho grief to
> > the components, especially if you're racing the kids .. ;)

> That's what hire bikes are for. :)

JFC.

> It's a fine line between sand that's too dry and soft at the top of
> the beach and too wet (and soft) in/near the water.

Taking any sort of bike on to wet sand may be woderful for the idjit
on the bike but is disatrous for the bicycle.

Salt and wet sand murder just about everything on a bike which either
moves or has a joint.

I have a standing charge of £10 for any bike which has been taken
onto the sand but in actual fact the bike is probably fit only for
the scrap heap.

YMMV but mine is commercially correct.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton