Riding on the sidewalk is now illegal in metro manila

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I came across the newspaper column about the prohibition of riders in using the sidewalk. It's not only the bikers but also the motorcyclists that sometimes would go up the sidewalk when the traffic is heavy. One school child was hit by a bike and fortunately the injury was minor. I would hate to hit a child by riding on prohibited areas. But I guess using the sidewalk here is getting prevalent so they have issued a new ordinance.

1. This one is a good ordinance, I really hate when the bikers using the sidewalk and keep shouting to the pedestrians to move fast or give way for them. We all know how crowded the sidewalks in metro manila, if they choose the sidewalk to ride, they should have a lot of patience.

It should have been implemented a long time ago. Some people used the sidewalks in order to pass a street if it is full of traffic. It can cause lots of accidents because people are walking in the sidewalks. Years ago I have been almost hit by a bicycle while I was walking. I didn't even notice because I was confident that I am safe walking in the sidewalk. It was not a good experience.

Hey there! So sorry to hear about your close call with a bicycle on the sidewalk. Safety is definitely a priority, whether you're on two wheels or two feet. Implementing separate lanes for bikes and pedestrians sounds like a great solution. It would give cyclists the space they need while ensuring pedestrians can walk without fear of accidents. It's important for everyone to follow the rules of the road and respect each other's space. While incidents like yours shouldn't happen, it's good that you're bringing attention to the issue. Stay safe out there! ‍♂️♀️