Riding On The Sidewalk

Of course it is dependent on where you ride and local ordinances, but sidewalks should really be avoided unless absolutely nessacary. It's one of those things that is nessacary under certain circumstances, but shouldn't be done in general. If it is possible to safely ride on a road or shoulder there is no reason to be on a sidewalk. Sidewalk's are for pedestrian use. Many places in the state I live in have local ordinances outlawing cycling on sidewalks citing safety of pedestrians. It drives me nuts when people ride on sidewalks by default even where there is no compelling reason to do so.

I don't know where you live but in my city they have designated cycle lanes on the sidewalks to cater specifically for cyclists. The sidewalk (or pavement, as we call it here) is split into two sections, one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. It's a good system which seems to be working quite well. Generally, cyclists are encouraged to avoid riding on the roads if there are cycle lanes on the sidewalk and the cycle lanes are usually placed in areas where the traffic is heavy or where the roads are considered unsafe for cyclists.

I'm pretty sure at least where I am from that riding on the sidewalk/pavement is illegal if there's people on it. There's bike paths that you can ride on or if there isn't any you're forced to ride on the side of the road. Where I live there's actually a huge amount of bike paths that I beleive is the most in the country. I'd never ride on the path anyway seeing as riding on the side of the road is second nature to me now.

I don't know where you live but in my city they have designated cycle lanes on the sidewalks to cater specifically for cyclists. The sidewalk (or pavement, as we call it here) is split into two sections, one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. It's a good system which seems to be working quite well. Generally, cyclists are encouraged to avoid riding on the roads if there are cycle lanes on the sidewalk and the cycle lanes are usually placed in areas where the traffic is heavy or where the roads are considered unsafe for cyclists.

This is a nice idea to have the bike lane in the sidewalk. At least the bikers would be very safe from the rushing vehicles. However, I don't think that is a good idea here in Metro Manila because sidewalks, being a public area, is also being used by vendors. So a rider can endanger not only his well-being but also the well-being of the vendors, not to mention the wares they are selling.

Split lanes on the pavement is not the s
Split lanes on the shoulder is not the same as an actual sidewalk. A sidewalk is an actual raised area with a curb that is for pedestrian use. It isn't the shoulder or just the side of any road.

Split lanes are dangerous, better to be on the road than on a slip lane and collide frontally with another bike...

Riding on the sidewalk is fun and safer then the road. I think everybody with a bike should ride on the side walk. But, if there are a lot of people on the sidewalk then you should find a different route.

Riding on the sidewalk is fun and safer then the road. I think everybody with a bike should ride on the side walk. But, if there are a lot of people on the sidewalk then you should find a different route.

That is ridiculous. The sidewalk is for pedestrian use and bicycles on a sidewalk pose safety hazards for both the cyclist and the pedestrians. In many places riding on a sidewalk will get you a ticket from the local police for that reason. Bicycles belong on the road as far to the right as is safe for the conditions. There are some rare instances that a cyclist may need to be on a sidewalk, but this is the exception, not the rule.

It would probably serve you well to look at more of the discussion before reacting to a topic and posting. I'm guessing that you probably didn't read much more than the topic title by the content of your reply..

lol, actually I don't think it's so much fun to ride on the sidewalk, I am way more comfortable on the road.

Split lanes on the pavement is not the s

Split lanes on the shoulder is not the same as an actual sidewalk. A sidewalk is an actual raised area with a curb that is for pedestrian use. It isn't the shoulder or just the side of any road.
Yes, I know that. You've misunderstood what I've said.

Split lanes are dangerous, better to be on the road than on a slip lane and collide frontally with another bike...
Split lanes is not what I am talking about. The bicycle lane is actually on the sidewalk which is split into two areas - one for pedestrians, one for cyclists. Neither of them are anywhere near the actual road itself.

Ok, even so I prefer to be on the road if I am alone, but if I am with the kids I prefer to use the bike lanes.

Yes, I know that. You've misunderstood what I've said.

Split lanes is not what I am talking about. The bicycle lane is actually on the sidewalk which is split into two areas - one for pedestrians, one for cyclists. Neither of them are anywhere near the actual road itself.

I would like to see an actual photo of what you are talking about then. It is rare, and in my opinion ridiculous if it is truly as you describe. Lanes for moving vehicles, be them bicycles or otherwise don't belong on a sidewalk. Thankfully that kind of rubbish doesn't fly in my part of the world. Bike lanes belong on the road and so do the cyclists.

I would like to see an actual photo of what you are talking about then. It is rare, and in my opinion ridiculous if it is truly as you describe. Lanes for moving vehicles, be them bicycles or otherwise don't belong on a sidewalk. Thankfully that kind of rubbish doesn't fly in my part of the world. Bike lanes belong on the road and so do the cyclists.
I have to disagree and you seem to be completely missing the point. Bikes do not belong on the road, they do not pay road tax and as a motorist also I find them to be very hazardous on the roads and have seen many accidents over the years which were not caused by carelessness but simply by the situation. So, if you don't think any kind of vehicles should be on the pavement, are you saying that mobility scooters should be on the road too? As far as I can see, it makes much more sense to just split the pavement into two halves - one for pedestrians who get their own lane and one for cyclists who get their own lane, so both are privileged without having any effect on the road traffic. Where on Earth is the problem in that?

I have to disagree and you seem to be completely missing the point. Bikes do not belong on the road, they do not pay road tax and as a motorist also I find them to be very hazardous on the roads and have seen many accidents over the years which were not caused by carelessness but simply by the situation. So, if you don't think any kind of vehicles should be on the pavement, are you saying that mobility scooters should be on the road too? As far as I can see, it makes much more sense to just split the pavement into two halves - one for pedestrians who get their own lane and one for cyclists who get their own lane, so both are privileged without having any effect on the road traffic. Where on Earth is the problem in that?

I think you are forgetting the global nature of the topic and audience here. You can not speak to the taxes for everyone so that argument is not valid. You have yet to post a picture of what you are speaking of, because just pavement on the side of the ride is not the same thing as an actual sidewalk. Bicycles do belong on the road, and the preponderance of history, law, and practice in most developed nations supports this assertion.

I only like riding on pavement in my own yard. I know that when I am walking, I feel very nervous when someone on a bike is behind me or coming towards me. I am afraid they will crash into me or run over my foot or something like that. It would be painful for both me and the rider. I don't think I would ride a bike on pavement away from my house if I could avoid it.

Actually, I like really like your solution. I don't feel comfortable riding on roads with cars. It is an inconvenience to the cars and a hazard for the biker. At the same time, I don't like riding on the pavement with pedestrians. It completely makes sense to make a lane on the sidewalk for bikes, and a lane for pedestrians. I think that is an idea that should really be looked into.

We were in Vietnam last weekend for a brief vacation. We stayed in a hotel in Saigon, now called Ho Chi Minh city. What I noticed in the streets are the ubiquitous motorcycles and bicycles that far outnumber 4-wheeled vehicles. Not just once but several times we missed being hit by cyclists and motorcyclists who used the sidewalk in avoiding the traffic stop. But instead of being peeved, I got my camera and took a video of those rascals on two wheels. It seems that sidewalks are legal to be used by 2-wheelers there.
Wow, that's really cool. I'm really into traveling and other cultures. It's interesting how the streets are in Vietnam. But it also seems a little scary. It would be frightening to almost be hit several times by people that are cycling. But I guess that's probably more acceptable in that culture. That's super interesting though!

Reactions: Corzhens
Actually, I like really like your solution. I don't feel comfortable riding on roads with cars. It is an inconvenience to the cars and a hazard for the biker. At the same time, I don't like riding on the pavement with pedestrians. It completely makes sense to make a lane on the sidewalk for bikes, and a lane for pedestrians. I think that is an idea that should really be looked into.

When we talk about sidewalks we are talking about raised pavement with a curb on the side of a road that is designed only for pedestrian use. This split lane thing is not a sidewalk, at least not the kind we are talking about. People riding on actual sidewalks are a menace and need to get on the road or get off a bike. There are rare instances when a cyclist might need to be on a sidewalk, but most of the time they belong on the road.

There are countries where the sidewalks are not legal places for the bikes to ride and it's not exactly something I agree with.

Wow, that's really cool. I'm really into traveling and other cultures. It's interesting how the streets are in Vietnam. But it also seems a little scary. It would be frightening to almost be hit several times by people that are cycling. But I guess that's probably more acceptable in that culture. That's super interesting though!

I hope the Vietnamese will not take this comment as a smear, just my plain observation. The sidewalks of Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh) is overtaken by 2-wheels most of the time, especially when the roads are full. We took some video of those sidewalks because it looks legal for them to use. And we also saw pedestrians giving way to those 2-wheels (motorcycle and bikes). One Vietnamese said that it is their culture that dictates that. Even on the roads, the 2-wheels which comprise the majority, are the dominant on road usage because vehicles also give way to them.