Riding on tires with patched tubes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Goat Roper, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Goat Roper

    Goat Roper Guest

    I usually have a couple of new tubes as well as a patch kit with me on long
    rides. I've found that if I ride more than about 100 miles with a patched
    tube the tire on that wheel starts showing wear at the location where the
    patch is on the tube. Continues use and the tire will eventually blow out.

    I'm using patch kits I buy at my LBS, but maybe my tires are a bit too
    cheap. They don't seem too cheap when I am buying them. I generally use
    Vittoria Rubino Pro PRB with Kevlar conpound.

    Has anyone else had this problem?

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Goat Roper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I usually have a couple of new tubes as well as a patch kit with me on long
    > rides. I've found that if I ride more than about 100 miles with a patched
    > tube the tire on that wheel starts showing wear at the location where the
    > patch is on the tube. Continues use and the tire will eventually blow out.
    >
    > I'm using patch kits I buy at my LBS, but maybe my tires are a bit too
    > cheap. They don't seem too cheap when I am buying them. I generally use
    > Vittoria Rubino Pro PRB with Kevlar conpound.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem?

    Never, most of my tubes have several patches. I generally use them until they
    become unrepairable.

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Goat Roper wrote:
    > I usually have a couple of new tubes as well as a patch kit with me
    > on long rides. I've found that if I ride more than about 100 miles
    > with a patched tube the tire on that wheel starts showing wear at the
    > location where the patch is on the tube. Continues use and the tire
    > will eventually blow out.

    I think you're gluing the SANDPAPER to the tube. Try a patch instead.

    > I'm using patch kits I buy at my LBS, but maybe my tires are a bit too
    > cheap. They don't seem too cheap when I am buying them. I generally
    > use Vittoria Rubino Pro PRB with Kevlar conpound.

    Excellent tires, one of my favorites.

    > Has anyone else had this problem?

    No.

    Bill "prolly have a hook in my mouth" S.

  4. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:05:19 GMT, "Goat Roper" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >I usually have a couple of new tubes as well as a patch kit with me on long
    >rides. I've found that if I ride more than about 100 miles with a patched
    >tube the tire on that wheel starts showing wear at the location where the
    >patch is on the tube. Continues use and the tire will eventually blow out.

    The rec.bicycles faq agrees:
    :Tires are less flexible at a patch and will wear slightly faster
    :there, but patches have no effect on dynamic balance since wheels are

    >I'm using patch kits I buy at my LBS, but maybe my tires are a bit too
    >cheap. They don't seem too cheap when I am buying them. I generally use
    >Vittoria Rubino Pro PRB with Kevlar conpound.

    I don't know the tires well, but are your patches tapered or do they
    have square cut edges like really cheap ones?

    >Has anyone else had this problem?

    I will pay attention in the future when a tire wears unevenly, to
    see if it's uneven wear is near the patch. I've had a couple rears
    wear unevenly, but I think that was due to panic-braking skids.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. Goat Roper

    Goat Roper Guest

    > I don't know the tires well, but are your patches tapered or do they
    > have square cut edges like really cheap ones?

    They are tapered patches.

  6. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:32:49 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    Is anybody else getting my messages delayed? Yesterday, I observed
    that it took over 12 hours for me to see messages I posted. This one
    just came in, at exactly 12 hours.

    Er, not that anybody cares.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:32:49 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Is anybody else getting my messages delayed? Yesterday, I observed
    > that it took over 12 hours for me to see messages I posted. This one
    > just came in, at exactly 12 hours.

    Delayed e-postulation? Prozac can do that (or so I've heard).

    > Er, not that anybody cares.

    Well, there's that.

    Bill "compassionate shoulder" S.

    {PS: sometimes my messages appear immediately; sometimes ~15 mins;
    sometimes never.}

  8. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:24:48 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:32:49 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Is anybody else getting my messages delayed? Yesterday, I observed
    >that it took over 12 hours for me to see messages I posted. This one
    >just came in, at exactly 12 hours.
    >
    >Er, not that anybody cares.

    Now Rick, don't sell yourself short, I'm sure somebody cares. They are
    probably just too disturbed, to let you know.

    Are you posting at Google or using a newsreader? I finally signed up
    for a free newsgroup server and downloaded a newsreader. The server
    was recommended by someone at rec.tech, it is
    http://news.individual.net/

    The newsreader is Agent, actually I am using Free Agent and I really
    like it. I can delete. Here, take a look
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

    On topic, I have never noticed any problems with wear or location of
    the patch, on patched tubes. I have been riding with a patched tube on
    both of my rear tires and with both of my rear wheels.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  9. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:05:19 +0000, Goat Roper wrote:

    > I'm using patch kits I buy at my LBS

    I've used Rema and Park patches for years without a single failure. What
    brand do you use?

  10. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:29 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Are you posting at Google or using a newsreader? I finally signed up
    > http://news.individual.net/
    >
    >The newsreader is Agent, actually I am using Free Agent and I really
    >http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

    I use Agent with my ISP's (Cox) news server. It's always been great;
    my posts always showed up _immediately_ if I retrieved new headers
    after posting. Now it's suddenly taking 12 hours, very predictable,
    and I'm just wondering whether others see my messages quickly or
    not.

    I was thinking I'd try one of the free servers.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  11. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:29 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    > >Are you posting at Google or using a newsreader? I finally signed up
    > > http://news.individual.net/
    > >
    > >The newsreader is Agent, actually I am using Free Agent and I really
    > >http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

    > I use Agent with my ISP's (Cox) news server. It's always been great;
    > my posts always showed up _immediately_ if I retrieved new headers
    > after posting. Now it's suddenly taking 12 hours, very predictable,
    > and I'm just wondering whether others see my messages quickly or
    > not.
    >
    > I was thinking I'd try one of the free servers.

    I've used news.individual.net for years with no problems. Happy as a
    girl with a new bike, as a matter of fact. Well, almost.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev