Riding over a log

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Destroy, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destroy

Destroy Guest

What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the bike
    clearance not possible to cross?

I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.

Tags:

2. Chris

Chris Guest

"Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > bike clearance not possible to cross?
    >
    > I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >

This has been discussed all to hell and back, so you can google for lots of detailed info.

Basically, you do a bit of a bunny hop - pull the front wheel up, then pop the rear up and push the
    bars forward so the rear wheel clears, or at least crests, the log.

You have to be willing to fall over a lot to get this right. Or, be very talented. I am not very
    talented. I fall over a lot.

Chris

3. Tj

Tj Guest

> What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    >
    > I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >

I hit my large chain ring all the time doing just what your describing. Somtimes I need to uncleat
    and walk over the log, other times I roll right over it. It helps to approach the log with momentum
    so that when your chain ring hits, you can just pedal through, give a little bunny hop to either
    clear the log with your rear tire, or just get the tire high enough to get traction on the log and
    pedal over. The most important thing is just keep trying. Once you do it a few times, you will
    develope your own technique which might be bunny hop the whole darn thing not touching it at all!

TJ On the single track of life, the 2 wheeled man is King...

4. Kslater

Kslater Guest

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > > bike clearance not possible to cross?
    > >
    > > I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    > >
    >
    > This has been discussed all to hell and back, so you can google for lots
    of
    > detailed info.
    >
    > Basically, you do a bit of a bunny hop - pull the front wheel up, then pop the rear up and push
    > the bars forward so the rear wheel clears, or at
    least
    > crests, the log.
    >
    > You have to be willing to fall over a lot to get this right. Or, be very talented. I am not very
    > talented. I fall over a lot.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    >
    Like the rest of us I suppose. Yes it does involve a lot of falling (which I still do most of the
    time) but I would say to practice lifting the rear without using front brakes while riding forward.
    Just try to lift the rear a few inches. Once you can do that it will be easier to lift the front
    and drop it just past the top of the log and begin lifting the back. You should be able to clear
    the log that way.

5. Bomba

Bomba Guest

6. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    >

Find a friend who can do it, watch them over and over and over, then, give them your bike to ride
    over the log - simple.

Shaun aRe - Duh!

7. Westie

Westie Guest

>
    >

Yep. that's what happens to me a lot too. This might (or might not) help. Regardless, it's
    interesting anyway.

http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

--
    Westie

8. Tj

Tj Guest

>
    >

www.trials-online.com

Learn to lurch.

TJ

9. Paladin

Paladin Guest

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > > bike clearance not possible to cross?
    > >
    > > I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >
    > Find a friend who can do it, watch them over and over and over, then, give them your bike to ride
    > over the log - simple.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Shaun aRe - Duh!

Not diminishing the fact that you're a smartass, (which was never in doubt, of course;) that's the
    best advice so far. Monkey See--Monkey Do, goes a long way in mountainbiking.

On the AMB-ID epic earlier this month, Jerry properly bunny hopped a 6" log across the trail to show
    some some in the group how it's done. The fact that he cleared it by more than 2 feet was pretty
    cool. To describe how to do it in writing loses a lot in the translation.

Paladin

10. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > > What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > > > bike clearance not possible to cross?
    > > >
    > > > I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    > >
    > > Find a friend who can do it, watch them over and over and over, then,
    give
    > > them your bike to ride over the log - simple.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - Duh!
    >
    > Not diminishing the fact that you're a smartass, (which was never in doubt, of course;)

Well, it's been said before, but(t) I hadn't realised you'd been looking (which reminds me of
    another thread..........).

> that's the best advice so far. Monkey See--Monkey Do, goes a long way in mountainbiking.

Aye - was hoping that'd make it past the flippancy ',;~}~

> On the AMB-ID epic earlier this month, Jerry properly bunny hopped a 6" log across the trail to
    > show some some in the group how it's done. The fact that he cleared it by more than 2 feet was
    > pretty cool. To describe how to do it in writing loses a lot in the translation.

I bet! I learned more on my first couple of group (club) MTB rides than I'd learned in the previous
    8 or so years solo MTB riding, just by watching the better and braver.

Shaun aRe

11. On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the bike
    >clearance not possible to cross?
    >
    >I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.

Approach log at speed.

As your front wheel nears the log, grab lots of front brake while shifting your weight forward.

12. Marty

Marty Guest

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > >bike clearance not possible to cross?
    > >
    > >I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >
    > Approach log at speed.
    >
    > As your front wheel nears the log, grab lots of front brake while shifting your weight forward.
    >

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too good.

13. Zilla

Zilla Guest

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    > >bike clearance not possible to cross?
    > >
    > >I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >
    > Approach log at speed.
    >
    > As your front wheel nears the log, grab lots of front brake while shifting your weight forward.
    >

...and if you're clipped on, pull up on the rear. :)

--
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

14. Destroy

Destroy Guest

> Yep. that's what happens to me a lot too. This might (or might not) help. Regardless, it's
    > interesting anyway.
    >
    > http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm
    >

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I need to practice lifting the bike with the pedals more.

Only thing is, with the 'lift rear of bike over log' technique, one needs a fair bit of
    momentum, right? Most of the logs I encounter are on a tight trails where speed is not that
    easily acquired at will.

15. Tybalt Q

Tybalt Q Guest

"Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Yep. that's what happens to me a lot too. This might (or might not) help. Regardless, it's
    > > interesting anyway.
    > >
    > > http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm
    > >
    >
    > Thanks for all the replies. Guess I need to practice lifting the bike with the pedals more.
    >
    > Only thing is, with the 'lift rear of bike over log' technique, one needs a fair bit of momentum,
    > right? Most of the logs I encounter are on a tight trails where speed is not that easily acquired
    > at will.
    >

Momentum doesn't necessarily mean fast. You only need to keep what momentum you have at the point in
    which your chain ring hits the log. If your chain ring hits and you stop, you didn't keep your
    momentum. If right at the moment that your chain ring hits the log, you lunge forward and lift the
    rear tire to clear the chain ring and get the rear tire high enough on the log to roll over, you
    have conserved the ( on many cases, little ) momentum you do have. You will find that shifting your
    body weight will help in many different circumstances. This is what works for me, in the end you may
    find different techniques that help you in the particular manner that you ride.

Tyblalt

16. crazy6r54

crazy6r54 Guest

Bring along a mini chainsaw, now cut a path.

Fire up MTB 03

17. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:44:00 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    >>bike clearance not possible to cross?
    >>
    >>I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >
    >Approach log at speed.
    >
    >As your front wheel nears the log, grab lots of front brake while shifting your weight forward.

Ah ha, this explains the toe breakage.

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
    an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

18. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:40:47 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >"Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    >> What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    >> bike clearance not possible to cross?
    >>
    >> I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    >>
    >
    >Yep. that's what happens to me a lot too. This might (or might not) help. Regardless, it's
    >interesting anyway.
    >
    >http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

Nice, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give

19. On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:29:32 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

|On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:44:00 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n
    |<[email protected]> wrote:
    |
    |>On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    |>
    |>>What is the technique to ride over a 1 to 1.5 foot diameter log? Or is any log higher than the
    |>>bike clearance not possible to cross?
    |>>
    |>>I get hung up in the middle all the time cause my front drive sprocket bottoms out on the log.
    |>
    |>Approach log at speed.
    |>
    |>As your front wheel nears the log, grab lots of front brake while shifting your weight forward.
    |
    |Ah ha, this explains the toe breakage.

Hmmm...time to read that thread again.

20. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:01:08 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:

>|Ah ha, this explains the toe breakage.
    >
    >
    >Hmmm...time to read that thread again.

No I this was just yet another attempt at me trying to be funny....guess it didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.