Riding partner Atlanta GA

Sproket

Jan 24, 2005
Looking for a riding partner in Atlanta GA on the Silver Comet Trail.
I started cycling again 3 months ago after 2 year layoff. Doing 30 to 50 miles now at 13 to 15 mph with 2 to 4 miles stretches at 18 to 21 mph. Trying to work off the excess weight. Started at 234, down to 228 but with a 12.1% body fat reduction, feeling slimmer and faster.
:)

My friend and I generally do 40 to 50 miles starting from Smyrna (zero mile marker) and typically try to start around 10:30 + / - on Saturday's.

Also there is a bike shop located in Hiram just off the Comet trail that does group rides at beginner levels and advanced levels. Most of the popular bike stores have club rides at the Comet.

Since I am new my speed range is between 13 and 22 mph.

We just joined a local bike club and may start riding with some of those guys on group rides as well.

Felt_Rider said:
My friend and I generally do 40 to 50 miles starting from Smyrna (zero mile marker) and typically try to start around 10:30 + / - on Saturday's.

Also there is a bike shop located in Hiram just off the Comet trail that does group rides at beginner levels and advanced levels. Most of the popular bike stores have club rides at the Comet.

Since I am new my speed range is between 13 and 22 mph.

We just joined a local bike club and may start riding with some of those guys on group rides as well.

I seem to be in that in-between stage. A little to fast for beginner and can’t keep
a sustained mph for more advanced riders. Still in those base miles.
I will be ready for moderate club rides in a couple of month’s. I
find training with someone else around my level I put out a greater effort
and I can ask them to slow down a bit if I have to. Plus it’s so much
pleasant to ride with others.

This Saturday we are in a wait and watch mode as the weather is predicted to be rain or freezing rain and a high of 37.

While we don't mind the cold I am not too thrilled with the sound of freezing rain, but we will hopefully be able to determine something Friday afternoon.

I ride with a coworker and he agreed that you are welcome to join us on future rides.

Also I noticed you are in Woodstock and we are as well. So it may work out that we can all ride down to the Comet together.

The bike shop that I mentioned joining is Cherokee Bike Shop in Canton.
We have not been on a ride with them, but hope to get in on some of their group rides in the future.

Felt_Rider said:
This Saturday we are in a wait and watch mode as the weather is predicted to be rain or freezing rain and a high of 37.

While we don't mind the cold I am not too thrilled with the sound of freezing rain, but we will hopefully be able to determine something Friday afternoon.

I ride with a coworker and he agreed that you are welcome to join us on future rides.
Saturday does look bad. I'm going to try for Sunday. I can stand mid 30s, but not rain. Do drop me a line, I'm game. I've just about doubled my indoor training starting this week. I should be able to keep up.

Felt_Rider said:
Also I noticed you are in Woodstock and we are as well. So it may work out that we can all ride down to the Comet together.

The bike shop that I mentioned joining is Cherokee Bike Shop in Canton.
We have not been on a ride with them, but hope to get in on some of their group rides in the future.
Yeah,, I'm still working on the local hills around where I live. What a pain. That is why I need to wait on those local group rides. I lived in Lexington ky. Mostly rolling hills, what a suprise when I moved here..

Sounds good on the ride share.

I am also from Kentucky and my family is in Bowling Green & Lexington.
I'll send you a PM with our email addresses.

Hi Guys,

I'd be interested in joining you whenever you decide to ride. This Saturday looks bad right now but let me know.

thegute said:
Hi Guys,

I'd be interested in joining you whenever you decide to ride. This Saturday looks bad right now but let me know.
Sounds good

I will PM my contact info and if you are interested return yours and I will hopefully send out emails next week to coordinate the next ride.

It's looking like Feb. 5th may be the next for the ride.

I wish I could join you on that ride. I have never done the Silver Comet, as it's about 50 miles from me (I live in Lilburn) and do most of my riding at Stone Mountain.

ganderctr said:
I wish I could join you on that ride. I have never done the Silver Comet, as it's about 50 miles from me (I live in Lilburn) and do most of my riding at Stone Mountain.
It's about a 35 minute drive for us coming from Woodstock down to the start in Smyrna, but with the ruthless drivers of Atlanta it seems worth the peace of mind.

The best part of the Silver Comet is when you park out near the Hiram parking lot. There are fewer road crossing and even less bike and walking traffic. Even though most of the trail is flat it has been pleasant to get some riding time in.

Our next venture is the Budweiser Plant / Cartersville ride that is supposed to be a pleasant ride will a more road slope than the Silver Comet.

I guess I will post our next intention for a ride at the Silver Comet and anyone that wants to join up we can try to meet at the Smyrna location since it may more centralized to everyone. Or someone else can post and we can try to meet your schedule and meeting place.

I run a lot at Silver Comet but just got into cycling a month ago when I bought a Trek 1500. I am in about the same range right now . If you ever want to get together for a ride let me know! I usally will ride Saturdays since Sunday is usally a long run and I am training for a marathon.

Long range forecast for Saturday 2-5-05 is supposed to be sunny & 60.

Who's up for the Comet?

Can't make it this weekend because I have a long sunday run planned out at the comet.....22 miles.

Felt_Rider said:
Long range forecast for Saturday 2-5-05 is supposed to be sunny & 60.

Who's up for the Comet?

I wouldn't mind the comet this weekend. Where are you starting and when? I may not be able to stay up with you guys, but I wouldn't mind starting with some riders for a change at least.

jabike said:
I wouldn't mind the comet this weekend. Where are you starting and when? I may not be able to stay up with you guys, but I wouldn't mind starting with some riders for a change at least.
Maybe we can meet at the Smyrna parking area (zero mile marker) around 10:30 or 11 am.

Felt_Rider said:
Maybe we can meet at the Smyrna parking area (zero mile marker) around 10:30 or 11 am.

JaBike: Don't worry, you'll have company. I'll be there.