riding position

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
What do you recomend for riding position? I've heard to ride where I'm comfterble at from some, then from others I've heard very exact ways to sit. what should I do?

If you're not comfortable, you won't want to ride the bike as much, and you won't be able to ride as far nor as hard as you'd like. Not being comfortable could also be a precursor to an injury.

I used to ride on the drops all the time. As I got older and fatter, I find it harder to ride the drops as my stomach gets in the way. For me, TT bars and being able to rest my elbows on the bars helped a lot. You might try TT bars if you haven't.

alienator said:
If you're not comfortable, you won't want to ride the bike as much, and you won't be able to ride as far nor as hard as you'd like. Not being comfortable could also be a precursor to an injury.
I'm very comfterble when my back is curved, yet I've been told to keep a straight back with a slight bend, is this true?

Cycler6n said:
I'm very comfterble when my back is curved, yet I've been told to keep a straight back with a slight bend, is this true?
If we were all made the same way, identical in every respect, then rules such as keeping a straight back would be correct. News Flash: we are NOT identical! Ride in the position you find most comfortable and bugger the people who try to tell you the position that they think you should be riding in!

Cycler6n said:
What do you recomend for riding position? I've heard to ride where I'm comfterble at from some, then from others I've heard very exact ways to sit. what should I do?
May I suggest a fitting session with your LBS. If you are properly fit for your bike, I would think you would be more comfortable.

stevecycles said:
May I suggest a fitting session with your LBS. If you are properly fit for your bike, I would think you would be more comfortable.
Oh I was, and the guy who fit me was one of the ones who told me to keep a straight back and bent arms.

Cycler6n said:
Oh I was, and the guy who fit me was one of the ones who told me to keep a straight back and bent arms.

Just like with docs, car mechanics, and babysitters, sometimes you have to shop around to find a fitter that fits well with you. (NOTE: with babysitters, it is correct and necessary to assume that "fit" means "carnal fit.") As for your back, that's a tough call, especially sight unseen, with no knowledge of your medical history or physiology. Your unstraight back could be the result of poor core strength. Whether it is or not, it's pretty important for cyclists to maintain a healthy degree of core strength and to work at improving core strength.

Philosophies of fitting and techniques vary quite a bit with fitters. I went through 3, including an expensive Serotta fit accompanied with video tape and other high tech chit, when I was struggling to figure out a fit issue after a series of injuries. FWIW, the Serotta fit was the worst, by far, of the three.

Look for a different fitter, if for no other reason than it'll offer a different view of your fit.

alienator said:
Just like with docs, car mechanics, and babysitters, sometimes you have to shop around to find a fitter that fits well with you. (NOTE: with babysitters, it is correct and necessary to assume that "fit" means "carnal fit.") As for your back, that's a tough call, especially sight unseen, with no knowledge of your medical history or physiology. Your unstraight back could be the result of poor core strength. Whether it is or not, it's pretty important for cyclists to maintain a healthy degree of core strength and to work at improving core strength.

Philosophies of fitting and techniques vary quite a bit with fitters. I went through 3, including an expensive Serotta fit accompanied with video tape and other high tech chit, when I was struggling to figure out a fit issue after a series of injuries. FWIW, the Serotta fit was the worst, by far, of the three.

Look for a different fitter, if for no other reason than it'll offer a different view of your fit.
thx for the help. I think I'll put up with it till I get a better core strength, i've only been riding daily for about 3-4 months. any suggestions on how to get a stronger core strength?

Cycler6n said:
thx for the help. I think I'll put up with it till I get a better core strength, i've only been riding daily for about 3-4 months. any suggestions on how to get a stronger core strength?
There are a series of exercises that you can do that involve fitness balls and balanc boards. They help you build core strength and aid in developing balance. There are a plethora of books on the subject at any major bookstore, any major sporting goods store, and probably your local library. Core Strength is the new fad in fitness training so you should have ample sources of information on the subject and no problem finding the equipment.

kdelong said:
There are a series of exercises that you can do that involve fitness balls and balanc boards. They help you build core strength and aid in developing balance. There are a plethora of books on the subject at any major bookstore, any major sporting goods store, and probably your local library. Core Strength is the new fad in fitness training so you should have ample sources of information on the subject and no problem finding the equipment.

It's not a fad, although it may be that the masses have decided to pay attention to it a bit, for now. Core strength is essential as it's needed to properly support and stabilize the spine. Core strength involves more than back muscles. It involves abdominals and pretty much everything else in your torso. Poor core strength will make you a prime candidate for neck and back pain.

+1 on the exercise/fitness ball. The beauty of the balls is the variety of exercises you can do and that said exercises can be done in a low impact way.

alienator said:
+1 on the exercise/fitness ball. The beauty of the balls is the variety of exercises you can do and that said exercises can be done in a low impact way.
And it doesn't require you to set up a huge home gym or pay to become a member of one.

alienator said:
It's not a fad, although it may be that the masses have decided to pay attention to it a bit, for now. Core strength is essential as it's needed to properly support and stabilize the spine.
Damned straight. I was once bumped on the hip by riders crashing behind me. Bike fishtailed, I stayed up and finished, but my back was so strained that I was out of the sprint, and it knocked me out of hard training for a couple of weeks.

From then on my routine included back, abdominal, and upper body strengthening.

I don't know about keeping a straight back or not - I know some very succesful and strong racers who look a bit hunched, but being able to keep slightly bent arms is a very good idea - if you are stiff armed, elbows locked, you won't have particularly good control over the bike if you are bumped or if you run over something. You'll run a greater risk of crashing and/or causing others to crash, so it will be much better to get to a place where you can be more loose, whether it take a good bike fit and/or some core strength to get there.

I'll third a recommendation to get a fitness ball. I do 2 ball workouts a week (per the plan I get from my coach) all winter long and it makes a big difference in my core strength. It's cheap and easy to use and it works on your balance as well as your strength.

Cycler6n said:
Go to a standard fitting to get a neutral recommended position. From there make small adjustments to make it more comfortable. Ask for critque from more experienced riders. After a couple of years you will find out what works for you.

If you are really brave post a picture here. :D

Not everyone can look like Dave Z. Riders use a variety of positions. Not just recretional riders or amateur racers but also the pros.

Cycler6n said:
Armstrong has a famously bent lower back when riding.