Riding Recumbent with a Smile

jimmayor007

Sep 3, 2007
There is a pleasure involved in riding a recumbent bike or trike that stays with me everytime I think of the experience. Its called the "recumbent smile". The 'smile' is well-known among recumbent riders and new riders all experience it within a few minutes of initiating movement. From the first full revolution of the pedals, one finds the exuberance of speed and a heightened sense of movement. The smile ensues and won't go away.

Riding a recumbent bike or trike is unlike riding a normal bicycle. You won't miss the uncomfortable, hard, punishing seat that regular bikes force on you. You'll sit in a reclined position, fully supported, comfortable as an easy chair in motion. Your legs are no longer pushing down in a knee-destroying movement. You'll be amazed at the ease the pedals turn and the comfort of supine peddling. Steering is also different as your arms are at your side, resting lightly on the underseat steering bars. On a normal bicycle you have to support your entire upper body pressing down on your wrists, with your nick held back in an un-natural position. I know, I've had vertebrae removed as a result of the position, as well as carpal tunnel surgery.

After my neck and wrist surgeries I was unable to ride a bicycle any longer. Niether my neck, knees, nor wrists, could take the strain any further. I was introduced to the recumbent bicycle world, moved on to the trikes - and now ride everyday, every chance I get - and I smile more than I have a right to.

...read the full guide with pics here

This is a distillation of all the recumbent-evangelist stuff written in the 90s. Posting it here is literally preaching to the choir. And you've cross-posted it from Bike Forums! How thoughtful! I suggest you put it up on ARBR next.

jimmayor007 said:
...You won't miss the uncomfortable, hard, punishing seat that regular bikes force on you. ...Your legs are no longer pushing down in a knee-destroying movement. You'll be amazed at the ease the pedals turn and the comfort of supine peddling. Steering is also different as your arms are at your side, resting lightly on the underseat steering bars. On a normal bicycle you have to support your entire upper body pressing down on your wrists, with your nick held back in an un-natural position....
excuse my editing but I have to disagree with your above points. We live in a democratic world where everyone is entitled to voice his or her opinion. There are many thousands upon thousands of riders on regular (double diamond) frames that dont have a problem with saddles. Proper shoe+pedal combo take away that "knee-destroying" option. We can actually get power thru most of the pedal stroke, working the hammies, calves, etc. You can vary your hand possie from Brake Hoods to top of bars to drops etc and if your still feeling uncomfortable, can have your bike professionally sized, changing head stem reach, etc. Now that I have had my rant, I am glad you are able to use a bike again after your surgery because we all agree on the love of freedom + the wind in the face that Muppets just dont understand...