Riding shades!

Hitchy

Guest
G'day all

well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not
bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directl
proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance,
$200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike
melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair wil
last me 3 years!....

anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pai
(lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours
traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What i
the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without th
glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear the
at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as worl
events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!

cheers

Hitch

-

I was under the impression that yellow lenses are for cloudy low light
days.

Hitchy wrote:
> G'day all,
> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a
> bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly
> proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a
> $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike,
> melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will
> last me 3 years!.....
> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair
> (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours,
> traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is
> the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the
> glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them
> at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world
> events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
> cheers,
> Hitchy

I've had a bad experience with my Euro shades so I don't think I'll bu
them again. All the rubber bits have become unstuck. Both the ear piece
have come off and one side ot the nose piece keeps coming off. That wa
after I'd had them for about 3 months

I think you're right about the yellow lenses. They do make the best us
of the available light. It would be a similar effect so yellow lenses o
ski goggles. I near white-out conditions you can still see the contour
in the snow clearly. They'd probably be good for overcast days I'd say

-

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day all,
>
> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a
> bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly
> proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a
> $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike,
> melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will
> last me 3 years!.....
>
> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair
> (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours,
> traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is
> the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the
> glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them
> at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world
> events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy

I've got the BBB somethingorother shades which come with 3 different lenses.
I only ever use the yellow lenses as it seems to make things clearer in
bright and in low light conditions.
I havent used them in total darkness yet but for early morning rides theyre
fine..
They seem to give everything a fairly even appearance if that helps?

dejonica <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> G'day all,
>>
>> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a
>> bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly
>> proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a
>> $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike,
>> melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will
>> last me 3 years!.....
>>
>> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair
>> (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours,
>> traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is
>> the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the
>> glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them
>> at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world
>> events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Hitchy

> I've got the BBB somethingorother shades which come with 3 different lenses.
> I only ever use the yellow lenses as it seems to make things clearer in
> bright and in low light conditions.
> I havent used them in total darkness yet but for early morning rides theyre
> fine..
> They seem to give everything a fairly even appearance if that helps?

I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is
better for that.

They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But usually I wear
tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses or
swapping glasses on the road.

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is
> better for that.
>
> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But

usually I wear
> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses

or
> swapping glasses on the road.

I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight.
I've never used clear lenses, simply because I didn't want
my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)

I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's
safety glasses. Riding constantly on the drops at the track
is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so
that I have to push them up often. So, with some spare
cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they
are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around the
bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and
makes them no good for commuting or racing. Do Rudy
Project make sunnies without a full frame?

hippy

Reply to Jazmo and others,

I think I have the same sunnys you . I purchased my Euro optics about a year
ago. I have constantly used them with the blue lens. I have found them not
too dark for riding at dusk and through underground tunnels etc. Perfect for
nice sunny days. At dusk or overcast days I find these actually lighten up
visual perception and environment Clear optics I would choose for night of
course. But what the hell are these Yellow lenses for? I might just put
those on for night clubbing with my grand children in 20-30 years LOL. :)
The grand children will laugh at me as they'll all have these new HUDS with
internet connections etc. But don't worry about that just now!!

Also as a foot note: The plastic ear bits came off my sunnys too. I took
them back and they replaced the missing part. Thankyou Freedom machine. With
my freedom restored -say hello to those bright overcast days again!!

news:[email protected]...

Hitchy wrote:
> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair
> (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours,
> traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is
> the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the
> glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them
> at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world
> events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,

Light is scattered by particles, water vapour, droplets and th
atmosphere itself. The shorter wavelengths (blue end) is scattere
through greater angles than the longer wavelengths (red end). This i
why the sky looks blue away from the sun. More blue light is scattere
back to the eye from rays that would not otherwise reach you. Yello
lenses cut the blue end of the spectrum and thus the more highl
scattered light, leaving a higher proportion of the direct light. Thi
has the effect of increasing contrast, especially in conditions of fla
light due to light cloud, mist or fog. This is why fog lights ar
usually yellow

Try the yellow lenses in low, flat light and save the clear lenses fo
darkness, where you want the maximum light transmission and wher
scattering is not much of a problem

John Retchfor

-

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is
>> better for that.
>>
>> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But

> usually I wear
>> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses

> or
>> swapping glasses on the road.

> I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight.
> I've never used clear lenses, simply because I didn't want
> my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)

> I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's
> safety glasses. Riding constantly on the drops at the track
> is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so
> that I have to push them up often. So, with some spare
> cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

> I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they
> are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around the
> bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and
> makes them no good for commuting or racing. Do Rudy
> Project make sunnies without a full frame?

> hippy

I've got some good Black Ice sunnies. They're not the ones that look like
the cheap 'ski bunny' glasses you find in servos on the way to the
snow.

They don't have the lower part of the frame around the lenses and they're
a lot lighter than the Bunnings ones. I got them at Cecil Walker for
about $18 or so.

Since I consider glasses consumables, I thought was an ok price.

--
Nick

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:07:09 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is
>> better for that.
>>
>> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But

>usually I wear
>> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses

>or
>> swapping glasses on the road.

>I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight.
>I've never used clear lenses, simply because I didn't want
>my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)
>
>I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's
>safety glasses. Riding constantly on the drops at the track
>is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so
>that I have to push them up often. So, with some spare
>cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

Look for glasses with wrap-around ear pieces that go round the back of
your ear. Hmm ... The National Health ones in the UK were like that.
Harry Potter type glasses, I think. My Oakleys have interchangeable
ear pieces and one of the options is like that. They never drop down.

>I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they
>are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around the
>bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and
>makes them no good for commuting or racing. Do Rudy
>Project make sunnies without a full frame?

I used to have some Rudy's without a full frame, but I gave them away
to my son about 10 years ago. They were all black and dead cool :)

My Oakleys have a full frame (except for the outer sides). There are
no vision problems because the lenses are a decent size. They are big
enough to keep the wind out of my eyes. Function over form instead of
the other way around. Only problem is that they stopped making them
many years ago. Grrrrrr. You sometimes see them in cycling photos from
the 1980s. The yellow lens is great for skiing moguls in low light.

--
Regards.
Richard.