Riding shades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchy

Jan 26, 2004
G'day all,

well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike, melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....

anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day all,

well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike, melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....

anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) & yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,

cheers,

Hitchy

I've had a bad experience with my Euro shades so I don't think I'll buy them again. All the rubber bits have become unstuck. Both the ear pieces have come off and one side ot the nose piece keeps coming off. That was after I'd had them for about 3 months!

I think you're right about the yellow lenses. They do make the best use of the available light. It would be a similar effect so yellow lenses on ski goggles. I near white-out conditions you can still see the contours in the snow clearly. They'd probably be good for overcast days I'd say.

I was under the impression that yellow lenses are for cloudy low light days.

Hitchy wrote:
>
> G'day all,
>
> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a bad investment for $30.
> For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place.
> for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike, melt
> them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....
>
> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair (lenz $60) which comes
> with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) &
> yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the glare. Does
> it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them at night?.....Whilst these questions
> are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day all,
>
> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a bad investment for $30.
> For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much they cost in the 1st place.
> for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike, melt
> them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....
>
> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair (lenz $60) which comes
> with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) &
> yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the glare. Does
> it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them at night?.....Whilst these questions
> are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
>
> cheers,
>
> Hitchy

I've got the BBB somethingorother shades which come with 3 different lenses. I only ever use the
yellow lenses as it seems to make things clearer in bright and in low light conditions. I havent
used them in total darkness yet but for early morning rides theyre fine.. They seem to give
everything a fairly even appearance if that helps?

dejonica <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> G'day all,
>>
>> well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not a bad investment for $30.
>> For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much they cost in the 1st
>> place. for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on them, stack the bike,
>> melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....
>>
>> anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement pair (lenz $60) which comes
>> with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear (for night riding) &
>> yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter, without the glare. Does
>> it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear them at night?.....Whilst these questions
>> are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA KNOW!,
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Hitchy

> I've got the BBB somethingorother shades which come with 3 different lenses. I only ever use the
> yellow lenses as it seems to make things clearer in bright and in low light conditions. I havent
> used them in total darkness yet but for early morning rides theyre fine.. They seem to give
> everything a fairly even appearance if that helps?

I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is better for that.

They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But usually I wear tinted sunnies all
the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses or swapping glasses on the road.

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is better for that.
>
> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But
usually I wear
> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses
or
> swapping glasses on the road.

I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight. I've never used clear lenses,
simply because I didn't want my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)

I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's safety glasses. Riding constantly on the
drops at the track is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so that I have to push them
up often. So, with some spare cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around
the bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and makes them no good for commuting or
racing. Do Rudy Project make sunnies without a full frame?

hippy

Reply to Jazmo and others,

I think I have the same sunnys you . I purchased my Euro optics about a year ago. I have constantly
used them with the blue lens. I have found them not too dark for riding at dusk and through
underground tunnels etc. Perfect for nice sunny days. At dusk or overcast days I find these actually
lighten up visual perception and environment Clear optics I would choose for night of course. But
what the hell are these Yellow lenses for? I might just put those on for night clubbing with my
grand children in 20-30 years LOL. :) The grand children will laugh at me as they'll all have these
new HUDS with internet connections etc. But don't worry about that just now!!

Also as a foot note: The plastic ear bits came off my sunnys too. I took them back and they replaced
the missing part. Thankyou Freedom machine. With my freedom restored -say hello to those bright
overcast days again!!

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hitchy wrote:
> > G'day all, well I finally broke the 'Euro' bike shades after 3 years of use. Not
a
> > bad investment for $30. For me, how long the shades last, is directly proportional to how much
> > they cost in the 1st place. for instance, a $200 Bolle or Rudy means that I'm likely to sit on
> > them, stack the
bike,
> > melt them, loose them etc etc within a week....whereas a $30 pair will last me 3 years!.....
> > anyway, the reason for the post......I've just bought a replacement
pair
> > (lenz $60) which comes with interchangable lenses. 3 colours, traditional dark (sunnies) Clear
> > (for night riding) & yellow. What is the yellow for?. it appears to make things look brighter,
> > without the glare. Does it make the best use of the available light? Can i wear
them
> > at night?.....Whilst these questions are small potatos as far as world events goes....I GOTTA
> > KNOW!, cheers, Hitchy
>
>
>
> I've had a bad experience with my Euro shades so I don't think I'll buy them again. All the rubber
> bits have become unstuck. Both the ear pieces have come off and one side ot the nose piece keeps
> coming off. That was after I'd had them for about 3 months!
>
> I think you're right about the yellow lenses. They do make the best use of the available light. It
> would be a similar effect so yellow lenses on ski goggles. I near white-out conditions you can
> still see the contours in the snow clearly. They'd probably be good for overcast days I'd say.
>
>
>
> --

Originally posted by Hitchy

Light is scattered by particles, water vapour, droplets and the atmosphere itself. The shorter wavelengths (blue end) is scattered through greater angles than the longer wavelengths (red end). This is why the sky looks blue away from the sun. More blue light is scattered back to the eye from rays that would not otherwise reach you. Yellow lenses cut the blue end of the spectrum and thus the more highly scattered light, leaving a higher proportion of the direct light. This has the effect of increasing contrast, especially in conditions of flat light due to light cloud, mist or fog. This is why fog lights are usually yellow.

Try the yellow lenses in low, flat light and save the clear lenses for darkness, where you want the maximum light transmission and where scattering is not much of a problem.

John Retchford

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is better for that.
>>
>> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But
> usually I wear
>> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses
> or
>> swapping glasses on the road.

> I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight. I've never used clear lenses,
> simply because I didn't want my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)

> I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's safety glasses. Riding constantly on
> the drops at the track is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so that I have to
> push them up often. So, with some spare cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

> I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around
> the bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and makes them no good for commuting or
> racing. Do Rudy Project make sunnies without a full frame?

> hippy

I've got some good Black Ice sunnies. They're not the ones that look like the cheap 'ski bunny'
glasses you find in servos on the way to the snow.

They don't have the lower part of the frame around the lenses and they're a lot lighter than the
Bunnings ones. I got them at Cecil Walker for about $18 or so.

Since I consider glasses consumables, I thought was an ok price.

--
Nick

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:07:09 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I've found that yellow lenses aren't good for me when it's dark. Clear is better for that.
>>
>> They yellow are good for dawn/dusk and overcast days I reckon. But
>usually I wear
>> tinted sunnies all the time because I can't be bothered switching lenses
>or
>> swapping glasses on the road.
>
>I ride with yellow lenses in low light and dark tint in daylight. I've never used clear lenses,
>simply because I didn't want my safety glasses to look too much like safety glasses ;-)
>
>I have finally found a problem with using the $15 Bunning's safety glasses. Riding constantly on
>the drops at the track is causing the Bunning's shades to slide down my nose so that I have to push
>them up often. So, with some spare cash, I might go out and find some different glasses.

Look for glasses with wrap-around ear pieces that go round the back of your ear. Hmm ... The
National Health ones in the UK were like that. Harry Potter type glasses, I think. My Oakleys have
interchangeable ear pieces and one of the options is like that. They never drop down.

>I tried on some Rudy's and they fit very nicely, but they are FULL FRAME! Nooo! The plastic around
>the bottom of the lens really hampers peripheral vision and makes them no good for commuting or
>racing. Do Rudy Project make sunnies without a full frame?

I used to have some Rudy's without a full frame, but I gave them away to my son about 10 years ago.
They were all black and dead cool :)

My Oakleys have a full frame (except for the outer sides). There are no vision problems because the
lenses are a decent size. They are big enough to keep the wind out of my eyes. Function over form
instead of the other way around. Only problem is that they stopped making them many years ago.
Grrrrrr. You sometimes see them in cycling photos from the 1980s. The yellow lens is great for
skiing moguls in low light.

--
Regards. Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.