Riding SIF

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by trials_uni, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    can anyone give me some tips for SIF riding...i can hop pretty good sif
    but i want to learn to ride sif mostly so i can roll out of big sif
    drops. any advice would be great.

    -Phil

    --
    trials_uni

    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

    monkeyman wrote:
    > Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

  2. When you're first learning to ride SIF, you're probably gonna wanna keep
    the seat pressed up against your waist/crotch area, and then as you get
    used to that, slowly start holding it more out in front of you. Pedal
    at a consistent, flowing speed, not too slow, to keep up your balance.
    I only hold the seat with one hand and keep the other one out for more
    balance, I'm assuming this is more of a preference thing, but the extra
    arm out to the side helps me hold the SIF riding much longer.

    Hope that helps! :)

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    officially ended.
    :cool:
    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  3. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    yeah i only hold with one hand when i hop as well...its alot better for
    balance..thanks.

    --

    monkeyman wrote:
    > Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

  4. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  5. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    yeah, it does take some practice.

    I would listen to what dudewithasock said about the arm that isn't
    holding onto the seat.

    http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/728931/2/40952965 Go to that
    link, and watch what Zack Baldwin does with his arm that isn't holding
    onto the seat, while riding sif.

    Unlike seat in riding, where you concentrate your weight onto the seat
    and off of the pedals, the opposite applies here. As you practice
    you'll eventually want to keep your weight as much off of the seat as
    possible. This is what people are talking about when they mean that
    you won't be so dependent upon keeping the seat close against your
    thighs. On that note, you want to keep your pedal strokes smooth. Too
    much weight on each leg during the downstroke with cranks that have a
    q-factor, and you'll wobble side to side. So, keep your weight
    balanced as you pedal, and you'll stay in a straight line. I spend so
    much time sif, that I can't really describe how this is done, because
    it almost occurs unconsciously with me. I ride so much sif during a
    ride, that it can feel weird to have the seat under me either while
    riding from two lines that are far apart, or practicing some seat in
    skills.

    Plus, I do a lot of seat out 180's to half-cab 180 back, coming down
    off of objects. So, I ride backwards sif some, although not that far
    at all. I'd practice sif still stands if I were you, too. What else?
    Sif rolling hops, and sif rolling hop 180's onto objects, or gapping.
    All of these things help with just riding sif, in general, because they
    give you more practice at it.

    Your legs will get stronger as you practice. At first you might get
    rashes, or soreness from the back of your seat rubbing against your
    thighs. Like I, and others have said, this will go away with time.
    With time the seat will be near your thighs, maybe even against them,
    but you more than likely won't feel it, or be aware of it, like when
    you first started. I think I hold on to the seat, just in front of my
    thighs, but not much much at all. To help some of this, try riding and
    holding the seat out farther and farther in minute increments, until
    you fall off.

    This was a long post. Sorry about that. I hope I've helped.

    Later,
    Evan

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  6. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    that helps alot..thanks

    --

    monkeyman wrote:
    > Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

  7. dorfman

    dorfman Guest

  8. dorfman wrote:
    > im the exact opposit i can ride seat in front pretty good but i can hop
    > sif worth didly

    Same for me.

    Heh, I just realized that TrialsUni replied to Trials_Uni's thread.

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    officially ended.
    :cool:
    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  9. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  10. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    BIG tip incoming!

    When you take the seat out and try to ride make sure your legs are
    tensed all the time. I do not mean straight but just tensed. Your
    legs should never be relaxed, it will hurt a bit and you will be able
    to ride a short distance but it will get easier.

    Mike

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]

    "I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
    Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
    -- Mike Fule
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  11. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > yeah me and Trialsuni discovered the funnyness of that a long time
    > ago...but its still cool...kinda the opposite ends of the
    > spectrum...hes a great trials rider and im pretty mediocre.

    Haha. Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure you're catching up though!

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  12. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

  13. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    There is one exception to putting your weight on your seat while doing
    seat out that I can think of and that is when doing seat out one foot
    riding. When I do that I hold onto the seat with both hands and really
    keep as much weight off of the pedal as I can.

    --
    ntappin