Riding solo (how to shake someone dogging you)

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by brightgarden, Mar 10, 2004.

1. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

Hi Diane,

I just want to clarify that I wasn't lumping all bladers, dog walkers or parents with strollers into the same group as I know that a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. I have also had a blast many times with bladers drafting me and chatting, so, if it sounded like I meant all of you, I didn't. I only meant that I would rather take my chances with cars that aren't paying attention than all of the possibilities on the bike path as a car can only change direction and get in my way so quickly - a dog, child or blader is something else entirely. I don't want ANY of us to get hurt, so, since I know I am traveling at a high rate of speed it is safer for all of us if I stay on the road rather than the paths. I do use the paths, but generally only at night when no one else is using them with lights on the front and back of my bike so everyone can see me from a long way off.

2. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

But I imagine you must slow down when you encounter dogs, children, joggers, etc on a paved trail if that's where you were. I do, and although it is rare, I have been blasted by other road bikers on the trail for slowing down. I personally find THAT rude. I feel the same way: if they are moving so quickly and impatiently, what are they doing on a paved trail?

3. diane143

diane143 New Member

J, quite honestly I didn't think you were lumping us all together. :)

You can always tell those that are "serious" be it just for exercise or school training. They are always alert, stay to the side, and if they don't, they typically move long before you are ready to ask them to.

I have to say that around here, 95% of families are clueless and most of the dog walkers as well. :( I'd bet the people who are really into dog training are *not* in these locations, poor dog would probably get run down by someone!

It just amazes me that people (no matter what they are doing) act as if they are the only ones that should be there and they are doing you a huge favor by moving out of the area that specifically says "bike lane". <grrr>

OK, I'll fess up. When I'm blading and come across a group of bladers (why are they always young girls?!) that just won't move, I "accidentally" push out a little more to tag the foot of the leftmost offender. Haven't dumped anyone yet (they go so slow anyway), but usually startle them pretty good. Of course if they had been aware and listening to repeated "on your left!!" they wouldn't be so surprised now would they?

Also discovered the melting snow puddles in the *bike lane* do serve a purpose as well. ;)

Diane

ps - sorry if I do sound like a b*tch, but it seems people get more self-centered and clueless as time goes on. I just don't get it, are we turning into such a brainless society?

4. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

Hey, let's just do it J! Do you ever ride the PCH from NB to Sunset? That's a great early morning ride!! The Beach Trail is also good midweek, early morning...

Mind you, my Knee has been acting kinda oweeee lately, but that's OK....:) I'll be riding tommorrow!!!:D

5. EoinC

EoinC New Member

You got that right! I hate those people with entire families on long leashes! They should let them run free.....and ask them to stop taking the cake all the time. There's plenty to go around.

Eoin

6. diane143

diane143 New Member

You knew what I meant :p

7. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Now you're getting to the point. It is not about the strange man, it's about you not being comfortable riding in close proximity to another bike. This is a skill that takes developing.
    Rather than spending 1/2 an hour in terror and then doing an unintentional stop in order to try to mind-read someone else's intentions, why not simply tell them that you want to ride alone? 5 seconds of monologue will probably give you a better result than 1/2 an hour of attempted telepathy. Some of us just aren't very good telepathic receivers, but we have been known to respond to the spoken word.
    Where I come from (New Zealand and Australia), it is perfectly natural to hook up with any riders who are travelling in the same direction at similar speed. These informal groups of 2 or more merge and dissipate as they go along. As you ride along, you talk..."Where are you headed? Which way did you come?...."
    Where I ride now (Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia), traffic is a free-for-all and you really have to dice it to survive. As there are few cyclists on the road here, I usually use motorbikes for protection against the bigger pieces of steel. I often talk with the motorbike riders as we ride between the 5 lanes of cars jammed into 3 lanes of road. If I saw another cyclist heading the same way at speed, I would definitely chase to catch up and get a bit of company riding. Once you get used to riding in groups at speed, you'll know what I mean. Around here, car drivers don't worry about individual cyclists ( I have close-calls every time I ride) but, with a bunch, the drivers start thinking about how the car's paint might get damaged if they hit more than one.
    I would hope that if I came riding up beside you, that you wouldn't pre-judge my intentions. If you tell me that you want to ride alone, I'd just say "no worries" and head off down the road.

Don't forget to enjoy it out there.

Eoin

8. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

Diane,

You are SOOOOO right on this whole post! The families and dog walkers act like they own the whole path when the path specifically states it is a "bike path". And since they own the whole path, they walk along oblivious to anything that could pose a danger to them or someone else. Heck - I have watched them cross an intersection where cars are allowed to enter the area to park and just go right in the path of the car! I would think as a parent you would be so protective of welfare of your child that you would be paying attention to everything around you but apparently that isn't the case.

By the way, having a husband who has trained "doggie famous" dogs (on TV, in magazines, videos, professional journals, etc) - you are right. It isn't that they aren't taking their dogs to those locations - although our dogs hate the beach and would rather walk in their neighborhood and see who has been around ;-) - but that the dogs are aware and the owners are aware. Once a trained dog is on leash, they are working and they know it. Our dogs won't cross a street without sitting and waiting for the "okay" command.

I have felt the same way about becoming a "brainless society" but if I get started on that - we'll have to start a thread on the "Soap Box" forum!

Jean

P.S. Wish I had learned to blade because I'd love to be blading with you when it is time to take down a few little youngsters! Not very nice of me, but sometimes I think they are a little too big for their britches!

9. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

We ride all over PCH, depends on whether we are doing a hill ride or not on which direction. Do you mean Sunset Beach? Sounds like you must live in my area if you are doing Newport and the Beach Trail. We live in Westminster, so our rides will either start at our home or at Huntington Beach State Park. From there it is usually either up PCH to Seal Beach, around Boeing and back down PCH. Or, if it is hill training - we go down PCH to Newport Coast, over Newport Coast, up Ridgline, back over Newport Coast, San Joacin and back to PCH. Sounds like you live close enough that it would be easy enough to work out some rides.

We rode the OCW Spring Metric Century yesterday and our 33 mile Seal Beach loop this morning, maybe we can catch you another weekend. We are doing the Hemet Century in two weeks but after that we will be back on a normal schedule.j

What did you do to your knee?

Jean

10. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

11. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

I realize that the written medium of these postings leaves a lot to be desired. It is just hilarious, that from what I have written, I have been transformed from an annoyed and uncomfortable road biker who experienced 1/2 mile of extraordinarily bad deaf hybrid biker who ignored me when I told him I wanted to ride alone into one who experienced 1/2 hour of terror(!!) and silent misery (martyrdom, I guess) and anxious, perhaps even conceited, attempts at telepathy!

But thank you. The situation that I mentioned above was extraordinary--it may never happen quite so badly again. It was just bad enough to make me post a thread about a situation I seem to encounter often, which this very bad situation is really not even very related.

12. EoinC

EoinC New Member

All of the replies are based on the information proffered. For example, there was no mention in the original posting that you had told the extraordinarily bad deaf hybrid biker (although, why he would be riding an extraordinarily bad deaf hybrid may be the makings of another thread) that you wanted to ride alone - that being the suggestion in the posting you just replied to.
    The comments rergarding your confidence on the bike are meant to be constructive and are also based on the information you provided whereby you are not comfortable in close proximity to other riders.
    More information in - more information out.
    Have fun and beware the bad deaf hybrids, especially the extraordinarily so ones.

Eoin

13. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Yes this is true. I'm sorry I left out pertinent details. I am sometimes put off by huge long postings by other posters out there, and it didn't occur to me that any reasonable person would not have told someone who was annoying them that they were annoying them. I guess I thought the detail was "between the lines" and, as a reader, I often don't like for such things to be extraneously brought to my attention. But as a writer, constructive feedback is always welcome. I don't think the guy was actually deaf--but he may have been.

In your repy, I get the feeling that you feel insulted, or put off by my response, as if I treated it trivially. I didn't think your response was trivial, and I think if you and I met on the road the scenario would have been unremarkable--that is unremarkable in that it would not have warranted a rant on an online forum.

Keep the truth coming!

Maggie

14. diane143

diane143 New Member

Hi Jean,

Sounds like your dogs are awesome. I grew up with GSDs but our current lifestyle (and small yard) don't really allow for them. We have 6 cats instead and they don't go out on the trails with us either LOL. I did once see a lady who lived off a local trail, walking her GSD and her cat was cruising right along as well (off leash so he could escape from dogs who like to chase cats). :)

As for shaking someone, well I haven't had to do that yet. One of the other forums had an interesting thread on how women feel biking alone but I suspect that's a whole different issue than this one.

For me as a newbie "serious" road biker (or wannabe, guess summer will tell that tale!) I'd be a little worried about someone riding close to me unless it was my SO or someone I knew really well. I've only been out on my new bike once and could not believe how tippy I felt for a little while, and then again when I tried to stand. Yikes.

As for learning to blade, why do you think you can't now? I was probably 30 or so when I first tried, I used to roller skate (old style) as a kid and could never ice skate even on those double blades. Why I thought I could RB is beyond me but I can. And usually stay upright. :)

And at 38 I took up mtn biking (again, why do I do this?) and I just had my 39th bday last week and here I am thinking I can be a killer road biker.

Maybe I can. :cool:

I just wish the weather would cooperate! 30 and windy! Argh!

Off to the trainer.

Diane

15. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Not even slightly, Maggie

16. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Glad to hear it. If you're ever in the {shudder} states, around the {brrrr} Washington, D.C., area, look me up and I'll treat you to a pint... (no home brew though--haven't done that in about a decade).

17. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

wow!! you do some awesome rides!

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, I haven't been here for a few Days and to be honest I can't be bothered to go back and read my own Posts, but yes, I do the Balboa-Sunset ride during the week, early morning on the Trail...but weekends, we stay on the PCH...and sometimes we ride from Balboa- Laguna Beach...that's a very hard ride though, some looooong hills!!

I normally start from Home in Balboa though...

My knee? I didn't actually DO anything to it...it just started hurting a couple of weeks ago....:(

Good luck with your Century!!

18. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

Let's say that it isn't that I don't think I can learn at this point in my life (I do have a few years on you), it is that I don't think it would be healthy for my wrists. A bit of background - I grew up ice skating and roller skating - even back so far as when we had skates that attached to our shoes and skate keys to tighten them on. I have done many other sports, too and had some spectacular falls mountain and road biking. But the ONLY time I have ever broken any bones is skating. Twice on one wrist and once on the other. Each time I managed to get both bones of the wrist! And the last time I broke my right one, the doctor advised that if I broke it again, it may not heal correctly. So, since skating and I seem to have a love/hate relationship - I think I will skip the rollerblading as it isn't worth the risk. But think of me next time you draft a tandem, as I would love to be there.

Jean

19. J Pugh

J Pugh New Member

Hey,

I was in your neighborhood this weekend (sortof) as we were down doing Back Bay and Newport Coast and all that. I thought of you as we were coming up PCH from Laguna Canyon up the Newport Coast. We did another metric century yesterday as our final tune up for the Hemet Century this weekend. The rest of the week will be light training on Tuesday and resting until Saturday.

Sounds like we won't be able to do a morning ride together as I am usually at work at 6, so riding before that is out. We ride in the evenings during the week. Maybe one of these weekends, though.

If your knee just suddenly started hurting... Have you checked to see that your cleats haven't gotten loose and moved? Or your saddle has gotten a tiny bit loose and the nose isn't in it's normal position or the height off a bit? Oftimes, I find those the are the sources of the mystery knee pains. Unless I have been doing interval training too hard, too often, of course.

20. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

Go Girl!! That's one awesome Ride!
    I was out yesterday too, from Home to seal beach and back, problem is, it was way too busy, summer is on it's way.
    I took the Beach trail north and PCH back, I was almost taken out twice, once by a Guy on a Beach cruiser and once by a Pick-up truck reversing on our block :(
    I also enjoy doing the Back Bay, but it seems to get very hot sometimes, is it my imagination?

So you start work at 6? You need to call in sick one Day ;) The beach trail is still my fave when there are no people around.

Thanks for the advice on my knee, it seems fine now for no reason, go figure!