Riding solo (how to shake someone dogging you)

If you don't want road company, perhaps flying a custom *Do Not Disturb* flag might be the solution, while riding :)

Very good addition to the thread. I must agree with you in your thinking. I have been in situations where I have been drafted by men, inappropriatley, when I simply turned around and told them to pass me (as I slowed some). However, the majority of my rides are solo and I have met many other cyclist who draft and eventually strike up pleasurable conversation. I love meeting others on the road, there arn't many my age who get into cycling so it gives me an opportunity to meet people interested in the sport.
I think J Pugh is logical in his explaination of "road rules/manners", it's a topic we should all keep in mind. Thanks J Pugh!

Originally posted by J Pugh
I am probably not going to win any friends, but here goes. IMHO one of the BEST things about cycling is making new friends on the road. I have had people draft me and I have drafted others - the only issue is how it is done. The rule is that if you are the one who is drafting (because you can't go fast enough to pass, or just don't want to) is to ask if they mind if you draft - 9 times out of 10 the answer is "no problem". If they are out on their own, they'll let you know. When we do hook up on a ride, we always ask about the route plan, that way we are all aware of when someone will be peeling off, when the group will be turning, etc. It is for everyone's safety, even if "everyone" is only 2 or 3. To think that the guy was "chatting you up" is a bit conceited. While he may have been, he also may have been trained by a group like my local club where we teach manners for riding in a group, hooking up with others on the road, etc.

I have chatted with people from all over the world that I met for just a couple of hours while cycling and we were doing about the same pace and rode together. I agree that it can be annoying and a bit dangerous if someone isn't capable of keeping up with you and you keep having to pass - if it really bothers you, crank it up and leave them far enough behind that you don't have to deal with them - otherwise, use it as an opportunity to make a new friend and teach some manners by indicating you are passing, saying hi and wishing them a good ride. At least these people are out enjoying the same sport as we are, and while maybe not in our league yet - they have to start somewhere - be nice and invite them in, it may give them the motivation to really train so they can spend time with nice people like you. Being rude only increases the resentment that many people have about cyclists.

Originally posted by cannongirl
Go Girl!! That's one awesome Ride!
I was out yesterday too, from Home to seal beach and back, problem is, it was way too busy, summer is on it's way.
I took the Beach trail north and PCH back, I was almost taken out twice, once by a Guy on a Beach cruiser and once by a Pick-up truck reversing on our block :(
I also enjoy doing the Back Bay, but it seems to get very hot sometimes, is it my imagination?

So you start work at 6? You need to call in sick one Day ;) The beach trail is still my fave when there are no people around.

Thanks for the advice on my knee, it seems fine now for no reason, go figure!

Okay, the century is over. The roads were awful, it rained the night before and sprinkled off and on - my bike and I were covered in mud! I began to think it was a cyclocross event and I brought the wrong bike! ;-)

Yes, since you are so close, one of these days I will have to take a day off and we can do the beach trail. I can drive down your way and we can ride up and back.

Glad your knee is better.

Originally posted by kmccormic22
Very good addition to the thread. I must agree with you in your thinking. I have been in situations where I have been drafted by men, inappropriatley, when I simply turned around and told them to pass me (as I slowed some). However, the majority of my rides are solo and I have met many other cyclist who draft and eventually strike up pleasurable conversation. I love meeting others on the road, there arn't many my age who get into cycling so it gives me an opportunity to meet people interested in the sport.
I think J Pugh is logical in his explaination of "road rules/manners", it's a topic we should all keep in mind. Thanks J Pugh!

Thanks for the compliment, I was just trying to shed some light on another option to the scenario. I am glad to meet another who understands my view. Also, you don't say your age, but I, too, find that there aren't many other women in my age range who are riding, let alone as seriously as I train, so generally it is the men that I am drafting or trying to keep up with - which makes for great interval training! It is really good for my ego when the guy is drafting ME! But now that I ride a Trek 5200 with 650c wheels - and being only 5' tall - my husband says I am useless to try to draft! Just too small. ;-)

I think the thing that comes to mind with me is .. "my space" .. sometimes you want to ride alone, sometimes with other folks .. some folks don't understand the concept. If a person even gives the slightest "hint" of not wanting to cycle along gayly for a chit chat then the hint should be taken. If you are into your zone and maybe into a particular training program at the time how the hell are you going to explain in the middle of it all?!?!? It's like being in the middle of a set in the gym and someone starts rambling along - can they NOT see you are red faced and sweating for a reason?!?!?!? On the ride I think a quick "Do you mind if I join you in your training" would surfice .. you can then quickly reply with a "sure .." or a quick "********" followed by a quick burst to gain some yards on them. Hint, bloody hint, hint!

Maybe I have been lucky as I don't meet many folks when I am out riding - not sure how I would feel about the situation .. I just know what I am like down the gym .. not a snob; but, I am not there to socialize (whilst) working out .. I will do that at the watering hole (if I chose to). Body language is maybe something women understand and read more so than men .. comments please?!?!? Does it make a difference if he is cute or not? Do men get dogged and do they care? Probably not if she is cute and she is NOT interupting his workout!?!?

Sometimes you want to just "be" and I am sure men do feel the same!

Yes. Susan, you are almost right on it. I think when I go riding alone, I mean to be in a zone, training, doing a certain pace, and willing to deal with a certain level of interruption that comes with sharing the world with others (like negotiating traffic, saying hello or nodding to passing cyclists, etc).

Otherwise, I ride with other people. Generally I socialize within my own group, but often we'll meet other bikers, and once in a while, strike up a conversation. Unfortunately, for some reason, in this area, other bikers are not very friendly in general. I always get the feeling that they are "pros" and they look down on us and that's why they don't talk to us, or they think we are "snobs" and so they have to be "snobs" back to us. people are so odd.

I want to ride in California where it sounds like people aren't as uptight....

Originally posted by Susan Repp
Maybe I have been lucky as I don't meet many folks when I am out riding - not sure how I would feel about the situation
Coming from a small Country with an even smaller racing community, I considered myself lucky when I DID meet others out riding. I'm guessing that the training you do must be for Solo Time-trialing, as every other form of competitive cycling involves riding with others. It must be at a pretty intensive level if you can't draw enough breath to be able to tell someone that you want to ride alone.
Back when I used to road race, part of my training was a 100km ride over a small mountain range 1 to 2 times per week. That was always more enjoyable (and faster) if there were others riding along parts of the route, heading in the same direction. If you haven't been riding with others, possibly you don't know what you're missing? I have always found that it enhances, rather than inhibits, my training. It increases your skill levels, helps the miles to tick by and, often, pushes you to lift the level at which you ride.
As for understanding body language....I'm a neanderthal and still require the spoken word (or a non-misinterpretable hand signal, or being hit with a blunt object) to guide me through the morass of possible meanings (I've been married for 16 years and understand those "looks" less now than I did when we first met). Ahhh, the joys of being human....
Don't forget to have fun out there. Even in the Tour de France, riders talk to each other.

Regards, EoinC

Originally posted by brightgarden
Unfortunately, for some reason, in this area, other bikers are not very friendly in general. .
Perhaps they just want to be on their own and think you are "Dogging" them?........

Regards, EoinC

Originally posted by EoinC
Coming from a small Country with an even smaller racing community, I considered myself lucky when I DID meet others out riding. I'm guessing that the training you do must be for Solo Time-trialing, as every other form of competitive cycling involves riding with others. It must be at a pretty intensive level if you can't draw enough breath to be able to tell someone that you want to ride alone.
Back when I used to road race, part of my training was a 100km ride over a small mountain range 1 to 2 times per week. That was always more enjoyable (and faster) if there were others riding along parts of the route, heading in the same direction. If you haven't been riding with others, possibly you don't know what you're missing? I have always found that it enhances, rather than inhibits, my training. It increases your skill levels, helps the miles to tick by and, often, pushes you to lift the level at which you ride.

Don't forget to have fun out there. Even in the Tour de France, riders talk to each other.

Regards, EoinC

Thank you, well said.

Jean

Originally posted by EoinC
Perhaps they just want to be on their own and think you are "Dogging" them?........

Regards, EoinC

Perhaps they can tell that I'm antisocial despite my overtures and they in their greater wisdom exercise self-restraint.....

Eionc

I actually ride solo a lot because of time restraints (single mum), life or different schedules of fellow riders I know - sometimes I ride with folks at the club if I can make it. I often ride alone because I might not be as fast and don't want to hold up another rider or faster than another rider where as I don't want to be held up. I would love to go out with a group - it just hasn't happened yet - working on that one. I just know my experiences from the gym and hope I don't have to deal with the same on the road and I haven't (as said) met any funky situations yet. I think I could always muster up a conversation or a hand signal if need be .. I think it all depends on the situation and how comfortable you feel. The way someone approaches you makes a WHOLE lot of difference for sure! There are times I want to go out purely to clear the ole head of the days debris and enjoy the peace .. that is not unsociable in my mind; but, I know others cannot read my mind.

I will keep riding and go with the flow .. a great smile can go a long way though!

Originally posted by J Pugh
Okay, the century is over. The roads were awful, it rained the night before and sprinkled off and on - my bike and I were covered in mud! I began to think it was a cyclocross event and I brought the wrong bike! ;-)

Yes, since you are so close, one of these days I will have to take a day off and we can do the beach trail. I can drive down your way and we can ride up and back.

Glad your knee is better.

Congratulations!! I'm proud of you!! I've never done a Century, hopefully I'll beable to join you one Day :)

But yes, let's do a ride together, we could also do it on a Saturday as long as we set out early (miss all the people), if you're not busy on Saturdays that is, we can stop off at Starbucks in Huntington Beach on the way up, or back, there are always a few Road Bikers there, a pretty friendly group usually...

Sorry for the delay in replying btw, sometimes I get e-mail notifications, sometimes not...in this case I didn't :mad:

Have a great weekend!!