Riding Through France

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by James, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    I am living in London at the moment. Though in April, I'm planning on doing some riding through
    Belgium to the south of France (not sure of location yet - possible Montpelier).

    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or links on recommended bike type for the trip,
    routes, or estimated time to travel the distance. I've not done more than an overnight cycle trip
    before, so assume I'm a bit of a novice on this front.

    Oh, and I can speak french, so language is covered.

    Cheers, James

    Tags:

  2. There is a small British group (actually, only a couple - Andrew and Suzie) with whom I took 2-week
    tours last summer and the summer before. The prices are low (now BP725, I think). The fitness (and
    age) level of the riders ranged widely so both slow and fast riders felt comfortable. I took the
    Bordeaux to Alpe d'Huez in '01 and the Pyrenees trip in '02. Beautiful scenery, very sociable. I'm
    thinking about taking their Geneva-Verona trip this summer. Check out their web site at
    www.wideopenroad.co.uk If you'd like more info about my experience of the tours, feel free to email
    me directly.

    Steve Juniper ([email protected]) Berkeley, California

    "The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders... All you have to do is tell
    them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the
    country to danger. It works the same in any country." Hermann Goering before being sentenced to
    death at Nuremberg.

    "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Hello Everyone,

    I am living in London at the moment. Though in April, I'm planning on doing some riding through
    Belgium to the south of France (not sure of location yet - possible Montpelier).

    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or links on recommended bike type for the trip,
    routes, or estimated time to travel the distance. I've not done more than an overnight cycle trip
    before, so assume I'm a bit of a novice on this front.

    Oh, and I can speak french, so language is covered.

    Cheers, James

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    James P-oz?

    > I am living in London at the moment. Though in April, I'm planning on doing some riding through
    > Belgium to the south of France (not sure of location yet - possible Montpelier).

    > I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or links on recommended bike type for the
    > trip, routes, or estimated time to travel the distance. I've not done more than an overnight cycle
    > trip before, so assume I'm a bit of a novice on this front.

    You might find some inspiration on routes to travel from ride reports on the Trento Bike Pages at:

    http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/

  4. Jedharrison

    Jedharrison Guest

    Lots of folks have traveled more extensively in France than I. I allowed four weeks, but when my
    bike and gear didn't arrive in Brussels, I trimmed off 4 days at the start and finished with 3
    days in Nice. I rode fully loaded, splitting time between camping (difficult in October) and
    small hotels.

    I headed through Dinant, Bouillon, Epernay, Troyes, Tonnerre, Dijon, Beaune, Lyon, Montelimar,
    Malaucene (Mt Ventoux), Bonnieaux, Frejus. Easy riding along the Meuse, Burgundy Canal, Saone, and
    Rhone. Plenty of hills along the way to balance out the easy riding. I took lots of time to
    sightsee, and took rest days in Dijon and Frejus. I did the Ventoux loop (sans panniers) in a
    morning, starting and finishing in Malaucene.

    My experience is that this was a good relaxed pace. If self-contained, I would not want to try it
    in less time

    Good Luck-

    Jed.

    James wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am living in London at the moment. Though in April, I'm planning on doing some riding through
    > Belgium to the south of France (not sure of location yet - possible Montpelier).
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or links on recommended bike type for the
    > trip, routes, or estimated time to travel the distance. I've not done more than an overnight cycle
    > trip before, so assume I'm a bit of a novice on this front.
    >
    > Oh, and I can speak french, so language is covered.
    >
    > Cheers, James

  5. > I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or links on recommended bike type for the
    > trip, routes, or estimated time to

    My only misstake when crossing france by bike was Paris. As always for long distance bikers: avoid
    the big cities.

    /Fredrik