Riding through spinal stenosis treatment?

elnadeau

Jul 2, 2003
I'm looking for any reccomendations regarding riding with my condition, whether it's known to worsen it or otherwise, whether it could have contributed to increase in symptoms overall. To put it another way, my other half thinks I am doing myself in by riding my bike, though I feel better when I do. My feeling is that my problem is aggravated by sitting, not riding.

I have been diagnosed after MRI with severe spinal stenosis. My particular version of stenosis involves herniated disks (L4/L4, L4/L5), possible bone spur and arthitis (I'm 55). I have lower back/leg pain, some numbness and weakness in the legs when I walk. The disc issues were likely caused by some lifting injuries when I was younger and then perhaps re-injured about 3 yrs ago. I have a desk job (computer/meetings) which seems to aggravate the condition though I follow reccomended practices to minimize. I have no pain on the bike, feel much better after a ride - walking is actually more difficult. Most days I perform stretching and other self physical therapy which helps somewhat.

I have been going through treatment for several months and am scheduled for a 2nd epidural steroid injection this week. I have been through DRS therapy (basically a computerized traction rack), physical therapy including core strengthening and previous injection which resulted in about 5 weeks of no symptoms.

I have been riding much less since I started treatment, limiting mainly to 20- 30 minutes on my garage trainer 4- 5 times weekly and recently occasional 10 - 15 mile rides in my local (very hilly) area. Previously I would ride about 50 - 80 miles per week. I have a Specialized Roubaix Comp which really does help cushion the road.

spinal stenosis is a narrowing of areas along the spine, right??
so you'd be looking for activities that don't restrict or cause swelling around those areas?
based on those two items being correct, then as long as riding doesn't cause any swelling or restrictions, it would follow that it should be okay.
i'm no doctor, so that's not gospel, but i can give you my own situation:
after spending the last 3 and a half years receiving treatment for spinal injuries, I have found that the last 9months that i've been riding have also seen the most improvement in my lower back. i have also been doing a fair amount of swimming and running in that time as well.
if at anytime i've felt soreness in my back during any activity, then i stop straight away, and your's isn't painful...
well, that's my current situation, which isn't stenosis, just a broken coccyx, 3 near-dislocations and other damage to my neck and spine.

what'd your doctor/chiro/physician say?

Archibald said:
spinal stenosis is a narrowing of areas along the spine, right??
so you'd be looking for activities that don't restrict or cause swelling around those areas?
based on those two items being correct, then as long as riding doesn't cause any swelling or restrictions, it would follow that it should be okay.
i'm no doctor, so that's not gospel, but i can give you my own situation:
after spending the last 3 and a half years receiving treatment for spinal injuries, I have found that the last 9months that i've been riding have also seen the most improvement in my lower back. i have also been doing a fair amount of swimming and running in that time as well.
if at anytime i've felt soreness in my back during any activity, then i stop straight away, and your's isn't painful...
well, that's my current situation, which isn't stenosis, just a broken coccyx, 3 near-dislocations and other damage to my neck and spine.

what'd your doctor/chiro/physician say?

Thanks for the reply. My orthapedic surgeon cleared me for riding, save for heavy duty mountain biking (I have done a couple of fairly easy fire road rides). The doctor at the back & neck physical therapy center was concerned about long road rides, say more than 2 hrs. Both doctors said golf was ok, I've played 2 rounds without a problem.

golf is fine?
wow, i've seen more stuffed backs from golf, than cycling!

either way, i find that if i alter my position regularly i get along just fine. i just ignore the "ants in your pants" comments from my mates about my constant figitting...

Archibald said:
golf is fine?
wow, i've seen more stuffed backs from golf, than cycling!

Certainly true, but perhaps not for my particular brand of ailment. My doctor wanted me to resume my normal activities with the idea that I am too young to compromise quality of life (within reason). I have not resumed bowling though he said it should be ok.

Archibald said:
either way, i find that if i alter my position regularly i get along just fine. i just ignore the "ants in your pants" comments from my mates about my constant figitting...

Good advice, for riding as well as sitting at the computer.

elnadeau said:
I'm looking for any reccomendations regarding riding with my condition, whether it's known to worsen it or otherwise, whether it could have contributed to increase in symptoms overall. To put it another way, my other half thinks I am doing myself in by riding my bike, though I feel better when I do. My feeling is that my problem is aggravated by sitting, not riding.

I have been diagnosed after MRI with severe spinal stenosis. My particular version of stenosis involves herniated disks (L4/L4, L4/L5), possible bone spur and arthitis (I'm 55). I have lower back/leg pain, some numbness and weakness in the legs when I walk. The disc issues were likely caused by some lifting injuries when I was younger and then perhaps re-injured about 3 yrs ago. I have a desk job (computer/meetings) which seems to aggravate the condition though I follow reccomended practices to minimize. I have no pain on the bike, feel much better after a ride - walking is actually more difficult. Most days I perform stretching and other self physical therapy which helps somewhat.

I have been going through treatment for several months and am scheduled for a 2nd epidural steroid injection this week. I have been through DRS therapy (basically a computerized traction rack), physical therapy including core strengthening and previous injection which resulted in about 5 weeks of no symptoms.

I have been riding much less since I started treatment, limiting mainly to 20- 30 minutes on my garage trainer 4- 5 times weekly and recently occasional 10 - 15 mile rides in my local (very hilly) area. Previously I would ride about 50 - 80 miles per week. I have a Specialized Roubaix Comp which really does help cushion the road.
elnadeau, how are you doing these days????. Have you been able to resume activities??? I have a similar condition although my OD did not mention if it has turned severe. I have not done an epidural but I will try other alternatives. (accupuncture). I am on Celebrex and Ultram (when needed) but I am shying away fm cycling as I fear a reocurrence. (Not pretty). I do spinning and perhaps tomorrow I wil try cycling in the morning. We'll see. Let me know.

Induray

Induray said:
elnadeau, how are you doing these days????. Have you been able to resume activities??? I have a similar condition although my OD did not mention if it has turned severe. I have not done an epidural but I will try other alternatives. (accupuncture). I am on Celebrex and Ultram (when needed) but I am shying away fm cycling as I fear a reocurrence. (Not pretty). I do spinning and perhaps tomorrow I wil try cycling in the morning. We'll see. Let me know.

Induray

Hi,
Well, I ended up having a 2-level spinal fusion operation last October. There was not really any other solution and things were getting worse. Ironically, up until the sugery the only time that I did not have pain was while riding. Anyway it's been 5 months, I've been through physical therapy, kicked the pain meds and I have spinning on an upright stationary. I just got cleared to get on my road bike again last week but I'll have to admit it's a bit frightening. With all the screws and rods holding me together I should be fine but the thought of having a simple little clip-out fall is unsettling. I hope you don't have to go the same route as I did, keep the core strong and perhaps you can get through it. Best of luck.

elnadeau said:
Hi,
Well, I ended up having a 2-level spinal fusion operation last October. There was not really any other solution and things were getting worse. Ironically, up until the sugery the only time that I did not have pain was while riding. Anyway it's been 5 months, I've been through physical therapy, kicked the pain meds and I have spinning on an upright stationary. I just got cleared to get on my road bike again last week but I'll have to admit it's a bit frightening. With all the screws and rods holding me together I should be fine but the thought of having a simple little clip-out fall is unsettling. I hope you don't have to go the same route as I did, keep the core strong and perhaps you can get through it. Best of luck.
elnadeau, I am extremely happy to know that you are still "out there " on cycling forums. It is encouraging to know that you will resume cycling. Best of luck!!! Your success will give us stenosis sufferers hope. I have been trying to talk to somebody with similar conditions because it is scary to be alone on this but I hadn't found anybody until now. PLease keep in touch throgh this forum.
InduRay

Im no doctor either but heres my story.

I had a bad fall, on a building site not a bike, 3 years ago and my L1 was pushed in and was almost touching the spinal cord. I was operated on and have made great improvments in the last 3 years. I have gotten back on the bike and I feel that its doing me the world of good, as I swim a bit as well , but really hate swimming. Sorry to hear about your problem, get some advice from a good back doctor. If he says its ok as long as you dont "over do " it, then go for it!!:)

Some articles I have done on back pain hope they help some.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2927

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2987

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=3003

Brandyman said:
Im no doctor either but heres my story.

I had a bad fall, on a building site not a bike, 3 years ago and my L1 was pushed in and was almost touching the spinal cord. I was operated on and have made great improvments in the last 3 years. I have gotten back on the bike and I feel that its doing me the world of good, as I swim a bit as well , but really hate swimming. Sorry to hear about your problem, get some advice from a good back doctor. If he says its ok as long as you dont "over do " it, then go for it!!:)

recoverydoc said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately out here in Jacksonville Florida most of your sport related doctors specialized more on Golf or Football than cycling. I used to windsurf and whenever I had an injury due to w/s I was unable to get help with regarding to set up of equipment to prevent the injury. Seeing an Ortho or a neuro that cycles might be more likely but I haven't found one. lat Ortho that I visited , I asked him about cycling and if that sort of exercise could advance my disease. His answer....don't do it if it hurts. It is time for a new ortho.

I just looked up a few people for you but no one in your area. Good luck and sorry I can't help more

Induray said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately out here in Jacksonville Florida most of your sport related doctors specialized more on Golf or Football than cycling. I used to windsurf and whenever I had an injury due to w/s I was unable to get help with regarding to set up of equipment to prevent the injury. Seeing an Ortho or a neuro that cycles might be more likely but I haven't found one. lat Ortho that I visited , I asked him about cycling and if that sort of exercise could advance my disease. His answer....don't do it if it hurts. It is time for a new ortho.

elnadeau, just wanted to know how are you fairing lately. Have you been riding?

Induray

Induray said:
elnadeau, just wanted to know how are you fairing lately. Have you been riding?

Induray

Hi,
Yes, up until the other day I had been doing fairly short 7 mile rides that I can manage before work during the week. This has been a good start because it's very hilly here. But I finally managed to find time to ride 25 miles on Saturday and everything went well, my back feels good. I feel I am ready to ramp up but my schedule is hectic because I took a job a start up company right after my surgery. So, sometimes life gets in the way of our other pursuits.

How are you doing?
-L

elnadeau said:
Hi,
Yes, up until the other day I had been doing fairly short 7 mile rides that I can manage before work during the week. This has been a good start because it's very hilly here. But I finally managed to find time to ride 25 miles on Saturday and everything went well, my back feels good. I feel I am ready to ramp up but my schedule is hectic because I took a job a start up company right after my surgery. So, sometimes life gets in the way of our other pursuits.

How are you doing?
-L
Well, the pain has subsided so I am feeling a lot better.I was taking Celebrex , but I stopped which is good. My riding however, has taken a backseat. I have been renovating my bathrooms so I have been pretty busy with that. I was apprehensive(doing the renovation) at first because of my back but it hasn' bothered me at all. And that is good news. I will try to ride again slowly and see where it takes me. I am concern that repetitive riding throughout the year might take a toll on my back and that is where the problem lies. You don't know if it is affecting you until you get another back incident, which I am trying to prevent!
DO you still feel pain ?? or is it mostly gone?? How is you rate of motion??
Good luck with your start up.

Induray

Well I'm back to ridiing 20-30 mile loops. I have been gaining some weight because I have been doing a lot less than before my last incident so I was motivated to start riding again. I felt a little pain on my back but nothing much to complain.....yet. My fear is what I call, "cumulative damage" which is what I believe caused my incident 6-8 month ago. You don't feel it until it snaps on a day least expected. I miight have to consider getting a CF frame to minimize vibration. What do you thnk 'elnadeau'?

I acquired a Specialized Roubaix Comp when it first came out (about 3 yrs ago?) because I wanted a more spine-friendly ride than my old aluminum frame/carbon fork Schwinn. I like the ride very much on the Roubaix, and the cushioning (Bar Phat?) on the handlebars is something I would not want to ride without again.

I did not buy it with the thought that it would save my back from surgery (which of course it didn't), but it is more comfortable and I have no regrets. Is it "worlds better"? I don't know, probably not. In the end, a road bike is still a road bike and your spine does take on quite a bit of cumulative impact regardless, right? To calibrate your expectations, I would advise trying one or more of the "plush" bikes out to see what you think before you spend the cash.

Thought this information may be of interest to those with spinal stenosis.

Various centers in the United States are enrolling patients in a prospective, randomized study comparing the TOPS™ System to a traditional posterior fusion. This may mean preserved motion in addition to stability for the patients with moderate to severe lumbar spinal stenosis. Annually, 120,000 people undergo spinal fusion surgery, an invasive procedure that also limits mobility. The TOPS™ System, a total posterior spine motion device designed by Impliant is an approved device used in Europe. It is designed to stabilize the operative spine segment, but does not fuse the affected vertebral level, potentially preserving mobility.

For additional information on the TOPS System visit www.impliant.com. The web site also has video animation and a video case study of a patient pre-operation to 12-months post-operation.

TOPS System said:
Thought this information may be of interest to those with spinal stenosis.

Various centers in the United States are enrolling patients in a prospective, randomized study comparing the TOPS™ System to a traditional posterior fusion. This may mean preserved motion in addition to stability for the patients with moderate to severe lumbar spinal stenosis. Annually, 120,000 people undergo spinal fusion surgery, an invasive procedure that also limits mobility. The TOPS™ System, a total posterior spine motion device designed by Impliant is an approved device used in Europe. It is designed to stabilize the operative spine segment, but does not fuse the affected vertebral level, potentially preserving mobility.

For additional information on the TOPS System visit www.impliant.com. The web site also has video animation and a video case study of a patient pre-operation to 12-months post-operation.
Interesting concept. It's a combination of the "Charite" implant (which had not so good results )and the standard bracing. I have to read more about this concept, theinitial drawback I see (fm the website), is the support is offset to the spine's load line (central to the disc core) and thus has to overcome tremendous bending moments. So the disc will always see a portion of the bearing loads. So I can not see it as a fuse replacement. (I am a structural analyst by profession). TOPS your response will be appreciated.

Induray said:
Interesting concept. It's a combination of the "Charite" implant (which had not so good results )and the standard bracing. I have to read more about this concept, theinitial drawback I see (fm the website), is the support is offset to the spine's load line (central to the disc core) and thus has to overcome tremendous bending moments. So the disc will always see a portion of the bearing loads. So I can not see it as a fuse replacement. (I am a structural analyst by profession). TOPS your response will be appreciated.
Well, I guess TOPS did not have an answer to my inquiry. Elnadeau, have you been riding lately. Have you been able to increase your mileage??