UK and Europe · Public discussion

Riding to work

Started by Peewiglet · · Last activity · 99 posts · 2,443 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 June 2005
Last activity
4 July 2005
Original author
Peewiglet
Posts
99
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,443
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 99
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nobody Here said:

    You truly are a stupid, sanctimonious [censored], aren't you? Sounds like
    you need to go on a not sounding like a [censored] course specially aimed
    at those who've not yet learned to masturbate.

    Nobody could accuse me of being Matt B's number one fan, but I do
    believe he is in the right on this occasion.

    d.

  2. davek said:
    Nobody Here said:

    You truly are a stupid, sanctimonious [censored], aren't you? Sounds like
    you need to go on a not sounding like a [censored] course specially aimed
    at those who've not yet learned to masturbate.

    Nobody could accuse me of being Matt B's number one fan, but I do
    believe he is in the right on this occasion.

    Matt B does occasionally make a good point, but (at least as far as relating the
    incident to the HWC is concerned), I don't think this is one of them.

    After all, there *was* no accident.

    All that happened was someone walked into the OP's path whilst looking at him.

    You'll always be able to find a situation where you are too close and fast to
    stop for an object moving in an unexpected way across your path (after all, POF
    could have stopped, accelerated or stepped back).

    The free movement of traffic relies upon people being able to assume that other
    road users are going to do something at least reasonably sensible, especially
    when you *know* that they are aware of you.

    If MattB's assertion was correct, everyone would be slamming on the anchors
    every time they saw anyone standing on the edge of the pavement (even if they
    (pavement occupier) were looking right at them) in case they steped out into
    their path.

  3. Steven said:
    Matt B said:

    "Steven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:00:34 +0100, "Matt B" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    >> No, I think he disagrees with your simplistic, and, to all intents and
    >> purposes
    >> utterly wrong, interpretation of it.
    >
    >Please explain your "correct" interpretation of those two rules then.

    There is no "correct" interpretation.

    They are, to all intents and purposes, meaningless.

    Or at least, their meaning is limited to "try not to have accidents".

    How would you reconcile the OP's phrase "I was too fast and close to stop"
    with the HC instruction "You should drive with the safety of children in
    mind at a speed suitable for the conditions"?

    I know one should not answer a question with a question, but:

    If you were in a car, doing 20mph on a clear, straight road, and just as you
    were about to pass the only person on the footway (a child) and it
    lurched out into the road, and you hit it, how would you reconcise *that*
    accident with the same rule?

    There are no absolutes and unless everyone moved at 1 mph or less there will
    always be accidents.

    Not in MattB world, where, when he's old enough to get a license, he will
    never be a risk to anyone and never have an accident either his fault,
    someone else's or somehwere in between. That's because noone else lives
    in PrattB world except for MattB.

    --
    Nobby

  4. Quoted message said:

    I know one should not answer a question with a question, but:

    If you were in a car, doing 20mph on a clear, straight road, and just as you
    were about to pass the only person on the footway (a child) and it
    lurched out into the road, and you hit it, how would you reconcise *that*
    accident with the same rule?

    There are no absolutes and unless everyone moved at 1 mph or less there will
    always be accidents.

    Couldn't agree more; You can be the best rider / driver in the world and
    still fall foul of someone else's completely unexpected behaviour.
    Being a cyclist / motorcyclist you tend to develop a good defensive riding
    attitude and try and make allowances for others' mistakes; After all we
    all make mistakes and hopefully when I do / have done, someone will be
    making an allowance for me!
    Still can't guarantee someone will not just walk in the road right in
    front of you, just like a car pulling out of a junction with only 10 yards
    before impact; you could have previously adjusted your speed, position,
    sounded a bell and if he/she lurches out into you or your path what can
    you do? At the end of the day you just do what you can.

    To answer the OP's question, I have had pedestrians step into the road
    before (once or twice) when they are walking with the flow of traffic on a
    dual carriageway, because they hear a lull in traffic and don't think
    about cycles. FWIW I try and anticipate this and cycle a bit further out
    in the lane, which in turn gives me more time to react; I'm not saying
    it'll always work but it's better than slowing to a crawl. I suppose
    thinking about it, a good session of bell ringing on approach wouldn't be
    out of place....

    Regards
    Wayne.

  5. Peewiglet wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    This evening, though, a young woman walked across the road in front of
    me and I think she'd have walked right into my bike if I'd not shouted
    to her to watch out. (I was too fast and close to stop, and couldn't
    swerve to avoid as there were cars in the way.) Is this common?

    Yes.

    Seems to be in London anyway.

    Pete

  6. Matt B said:

    "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've started riding to work and back a couple of times a week. It's
    about 15 miles each way, and it's not too bad.

    This evening, though, a young woman walked across the road in front of
    me and I think she'd have walked right into my bike if I'd not shouted
    to her to watch out. (I was too fast and close to stop, and couldn't
    swerve to avoid as there were cars in the way.) Is this common?

    Sounds like you need to go on a "cycling proficiency" type course. You
    should not be riding too fast to stop. Have you read the highway code
    recently?

    Try rule 181:
    In urban areas there is a risk of pedestrians, especially children, stepping
    unexpectedly into the road. You should drive with the safety of children in
    mind at a speed suitable for the conditions.

    or 182:
    Drive carefully and slowly when
    - in crowded shopping streets or residential areas
    ...

    I have learned to look out locally for the "scissors" routine. This
    happens when I approach a cross-roads which is near a busy railway
    station and shopping centre. A pedestrian will walk out from the
    central island on my right to cross the road in front of my bike,
    despite the lights being against him. I adjust my line to head over to
    the left a bit, whereupon another pedestrian, probably seeing the first
    one crossing, assumes that it is safe to cross (not looking in my
    direction at all) and proceeds to cross from my left. I am thus faced
    with the exciting choice of three gaps to aim for. The one in between
    them is decreasing fast, and though it does have the appeal of being
    educational, I usually avoid it. This leaves me to go either further to
    the left or to zig back to the right, to go behind one of the
    pedestrians. This can be further complicated by the risk of further
    pedestrians coming out.

    The "modified scissors" routine involves one of the pedestrians pushing
    a pushchair.

    Moderating speed helps in one way, obviously, but it also encourages
    more pedestrians to walk out in front of me, despite the traffic
    lights.

  7. Quoted message said:

    I have learned to look out locally for the "scissors" routine. This
    happens when I approach a cross-roads which is near a busy railway
    station and shopping centre. A pedestrian will walk out from the
    central island on my right to cross the road in front of my bike,
    despite the lights being against him. I adjust my line to head over to
    the left a bit, whereupon another pedestrian, probably seeing the first
    one crossing, assumes that it is safe to cross (not looking in my
    direction at all) and proceeds to cross from my left. I am thus faced
    with the exciting choice of three gaps to aim for. The one in between
    them is decreasing fast, and though it does have the appeal of being
    educational, I usually avoid it. This leaves me to go either further to
    the left or to zig back to the right, to go behind one of the
    pedestrians. This can be further complicated by the risk of further
    pedestrians coming out.

    The "modified scissors" routine involves one of the pedestrians pushing
    a pushchair.

    Moderating speed helps in one way, obviously, but it also encourages
    more pedestrians to walk out in front of me, despite the traffic
    lights.

    This definitely seems to be a case for an air horn.

    Whilst POF are quite entitled to cross agaist a red light, it really does behove
    them to look *very* carefully for traffic.

    Of course, they (we) should always do that anyway before stepping onto the
    carriageway.

  8. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:18:48 +0100, Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Peewiglet said:


    (I was too fast and close to stop, and couldn't
    swerve to avoid as there were cars in the way.)

    and later added

    Quoted message said:

    What I didn't make clear in my original post, incidentally, was that
    this young woman came from my right, and not from the left. She didn't
    just step off the kerb without noticing me - she actually crossed the
    whole road looking in my direction and just kept walking. Bizarre! 🙂

    Sommat doesn't add up here.

    No, not really. It's just that I didn't want to have to write a whole
    essay. However....

    I'd just crossed a roundabout onto a busy B road. There was traffic
    accelerating towards me from my rear, which had also just entered the
    road from the roundabout behind me. When I entered the road the woman
    was some distance in front of me and to my right, on the pavement at
    the other side of the road. She stepped off the kerb and began to
    cross the road, looking towards me but probably focussing on the cars
    behind me and presumably trying to get across before they caught her
    up. As she got to the middle of the road she didn't stop, and just
    walked straight on as though I wasn't there. It may be that she was
    distracted by the music playing in the headphones in her ears.

    Quoted message said:

    How did she walk across the whole road when
    there were cars around there that stopped you swerving

    The cars were behind me, accelerating towards me from the roundabout,
    as described above.

    Quoted message said:

    and if she
    crossed the whole road without looking how did you not see her

    I did see her - I'm not blind...

    Quoted message said:

    and
    adjust your speed and direction to avoid the conflict?

    I couldn't stop as there were cars accelerating behind me.

    I couldn't swerve to the right because there were cars accelerating
    behind me, and probably preparing to overtake me.

    I couldn't swerve to the left because I'd have collided with the kerb
    and fallen off.

    The whole thing probably took less than 10 seconds.

    Quoted message said:

    I am beginning
    to think Simonb might have been right.

    It seems to me that you make some rather sweeping assumptions!

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  9. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:54:41 +0100, Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Jeremy Collins wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This happens to me quite often on a broad stretch of road in my home
    town. I don't know what's special aboutt his bit of road, but people
    sometime cross from the opposite side of the road (which is clear of
    traffic), and walk right in front of me.

    But if you've seen them then there is no excuse for coming anywhere
    close to an accident even if their inattention has created the situation.

    Sorry, but that's a really daft thing to say. If we all took avoiding
    action the moment we saw the potential for collision with a negligent
    pedestrian - or other cyclist or driver - we'd have to get off our
    bikes and walk instead.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  10. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:27:20 GMT, [email hidden] (Steven)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What I didn't make clear in my original post, incidentally, was that
    this young woman came from my right, and not from the left. She didn't
    just step off the kerb without noticing me - she actually crossed the
    whole road looking in my direction and just kept walking. Bizarre! 🙂

    Ah, now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

    She obviously thought she was a white van/artic/BMW 4x4.


    Which 'she' is which? I'm confused now...

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  11. Matt B said:
    Quoted message said:

    This evening, though, a young woman walked across the road in front of
    me and I think she'd have walked right into my bike if I'd not shouted
    to her to watch out. (I was too fast and close to stop, and couldn't
    swerve to avoid as there were cars in the way.) Is this common?

    Sounds like you need to go on a "cycling proficiency" type course. You
    should not be riding too fast to stop.

    Ok, thanks. That's very constructive.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you read the highway code
    recently?

    Not recently, but I've read it frequently.

    Quoted message said:

    Try rule 181:
    In urban areas there is a risk of pedestrians, especially children, stepping
    unexpectedly into the road. You should drive with the safety of children in
    mind at a speed suitable for the conditions.

    That makes good sense, but it's not relevant to the situation I
    described.

    Quoted message said:


    or 182:
    Drive carefully and slowly when
    - in crowded shopping streets or residential areas

    That's not really relevant either.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  12. Peewiglet said:

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:27:20 GMT, [email hidden] (Steven)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What I didn't make clear in my original post, incidentally, was that
    this young woman came from my right, and not from the left. She didn't
    just step off the kerb without noticing me - she actually crossed the
    whole road looking in my direction and just kept walking. Bizarre! 🙂

    Ah, now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

    She obviously thought she was a white van/artic/BMW 4x4.


    Which 'she' is which? I'm confused now...

    Well, I was refering to the POF who looked straight at you and kept on coming
    anyway.

    Sounds like white van/artic/BMW 4x4 behaviour to me.

  13. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:17:38 GMT, Wayne <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    To answer the OP's question, I have had pedestrians step into the road
    before (once or twice) when they are walking with the flow of traffic on a
    dual carriageway, because they hear a lull in traffic and don't think
    about cycles. FWIW I try and anticipate this and cycle a bit further out
    in the lane, which in turn gives me more time to react; I'm not saying
    it'll always work but it's better than slowing to a crawl. I suppose
    thinking about it, a good session of bell ringing on approach wouldn't be
    out of place....

    Thanks for the tips- I'll certainly bear them in mind 🙂 I think a
    more effective bell is a good starting point!

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  14. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:42:30 GMT, [email hidden] (Steven)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >What I didn't make clear in my original post, incidentally, was that
    >this young woman came from my right, and not from the left. She didn't
    >just step off the kerb without noticing me - she actually crossed the
    >whole road looking in my direction and just kept walking. Bizarre! 🙂

    Ah, now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

    She obviously thought she was a white van/artic/BMW 4x4.


    Which 'she' is which? I'm confused now...

    Well, I was refering to the POF who looked straight at you and kept on coming
    anyway.

    Sounds like white van/artic/BMW 4x4 behaviour to me.

    Ahaa.... that's a relief, thanks!

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  15. "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I couldn't stop as there were cars accelerating behind me.

    I couldn't swerve to the right because there were cars accelerating
    behind me, and probably preparing to overtake me.

    I couldn't swerve to the left because I'd have collided with the kerb
    and fallen off.

    The whole thing probably took less than 10 seconds.

    Sounds like the best course of action was to use the primary position, aka
    be on the right. This may well have prevented cars overtaking - that's the
    general idea, if there was somebody crossing, it may well not have been safe
    for them to do so.

    Note - this is not 'swerve to the right' - doing sudden things is bad. It's
    also important to make your move positive - if you look like you know what
    you're doing, you won't have problems with the people behind.

    And this is all with the benefit of hindsight - you'll just be better
    prepared next time.

    cheers,
    clive

  16. Clive George said:
    Quoted message said:

    I couldn't stop as there were cars accelerating behind me.

    I couldn't swerve to the right because there were cars accelerating
    behind me, and probably preparing to overtake me.

    I couldn't swerve to the left because I'd have collided with the kerb
    and fallen off.

    The whole thing probably took less than 10 seconds.

    Sounds like the best course of action was to use the primary position, aka
    be on the right. This may well have prevented cars overtaking - that's the
    general idea, if there was somebody crossing, it may well not have been safe
    for them to do so.

    Note - this is not 'swerve to the right' - doing sudden things is bad. It's
    also important to make your move positive - if you look like you know what
    you're doing, you won't have problems with the people behind.

    And this is all with the benefit of hindsight - you'll just be better
    prepared next time.

    Thanks Clive - that's helpful. Live and learn, etc!

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  17. Peewiglet said:

    I've started riding to work and back a couple of times a week. It's
    about 15 miles each way, and it's not too bad.

    This evening, though, a young woman walked across the road in front of
    me and I think she'd have walked right into my bike if I'd not shouted
    to her to watch out. (I was too fast and close to stop, and couldn't
    swerve to avoid as there were cars in the way.) Is this common?

    Yes, because bikes are invisible to most road users. Well, if you assume
    that then you should reduce the risk of accidents! Don't worry, after a
    few weeks your powers of anticipation will been honed to perfection.

    Biggles

  18. (Steven) said:

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:36:27 +0100, Peewiglet <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:27:20 GMT, [email hidden] (Steven)

    Quoted message said:

    >What I didn't make clear in my original post, incidentally, was that
    >this young woman came from my right, and not from the left. She didn't
    >just step off the kerb without noticing me - she actually crossed the
    >whole road looking in my direction and just kept walking. Bizarre! 🙂

    Ah, now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

    She obviously thought she was a white van/artic/BMW 4x4.


    Which 'she' is which? I'm confused now...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, I was refering to the POF who looked straight at you and kept on coming
    anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like white van/artic/BMW 4x4 behaviour to me.

    Some pedestrians clearly do operate with the white-van model of
    cyclists in mind, i.e. "It's only a bike, it can get out of my way".

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  19. "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for the tips- I'll certainly bear them in mind 🙂 I think a
    more effective bell is a good starting point!

    Defo get an AirZound - they're only £20 and very very effective. They'll
    affect most people either on foot or in a vehicle..

  20. Peewiglet said:

    Thanks for the tips- I'll certainly bear them in mind 🙂 I think a
    more effective bell is a good starting point!

    Bells are of minimal use in traffic. They /are/ very handy on shared
    use paths, nosing through no motor vehicle "pedestrianised" areas where
    bikes are allowed and the like. But amongst motor traffic, even if the
    "target" is a ped, they don't really cut it. Either shout or, as Simon
    suggested yesterday, an Air Zound. See...
    http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b20s140p23
    Hear... something like an artic truck carries!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.