Riding too much?

Ken

Guest
This may sound really stupid, but I am new to this cycling thing. I was
riding everyday 12-48 miles depending on the day / weather / other things
going on. Any way I have not been able to get much time in on the bike in
the last couple of weeks. But today I got in two 12 mile laps before the
rains came. And much to my surprise my average speed was almost 1mph faster
than anything I had averaged before the "break" My laps are mixed riding but
always the same route, varied wind (speed and direction) and varied road
conditions (rough and smooth) . So I got to thinking and did a little search
and came up with this page: http://www.cptips.com/ovrtrng.htm and from what
I have read it seems that I might have been in between overreaching and
overtraining. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into this?

Ken

--
For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

Ken wrote:
> This may sound really stupid, but I am new to this cycling thing. I was
> riding everyday 12-48 miles depending on the day / weather / other things
> going on. Any way I have not been able to get much time in on the bike in
> the last couple of weeks. But today I got in two 12 mile laps before the
> rains came. And much to my surprise my average speed was almost 1mph faster
> than anything I had averaged before the "break" My laps are mixed riding but
> always the same route, varied wind (speed and direction) and varied road
> conditions (rough and smooth) . So I got to thinking and did a little search
> and came up with this page: http://www.cptips.com/ovrtrng.htm and from what
> I have read it seems that I might have been in between overreaching and
> overtraining. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into this?
>
> Ken

12-48 miles/day is a lot for a new rider.

For a non racer, that's a good quota. When i could commute to work I
wuld usually put in 14-18 mies a day (total - out and back) during the
week Then anywhere fron 60-120 with the bike club on weekends.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Yep, generally, when you rest for several days and in this case a couple of
weeks, and you're faster, then that's a sign you were suffering from over
training.

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:45:02 GMT, "Wannagofast" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yep, generally, when you rest for several days and in this case a couple of
>weeks, and you're faster, then that's a sign you were suffering from over
>training.

Well we used to call it 'tapering' and 'peaking' in my triathlon days,
though the time frame varied depending on the discipline.

jj