Riding twice a day

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
Does anyone ride twice a day? I am a former football player and I know how I used to have 2 practices a day. Does anyone ever do like an early hard ride and another hard ride at night? I would think your body would be totally killed after one of these days. I don't think anyone in their right mind would try this training method, but like I said, I know in some other high school sports, they do "2 a days".

Sure, I ride two times daily on occasions.

rudycyclist said:
Does anyone ride twice a day? I am a former football player and I know how I used to have 2 practices a day. Does anyone ever do like an early hard ride and another hard ride at night? I would think your body would be totally killed after one of these days. I don't think anyone in their right mind would try this training method, but like I said, I know in some other high school sports, they do "2 a days".

Of course your body can ride twice a day. What about weekend tours? usually they cram in two stages a day, You need to learn to make it work.

Sometimes its the only way you can get enough km's in the week.

It doesn't really matter if you do two hard sessions in a day just learn to recover at work or school or whatever and ride again in the arvo.

As a commuter, of course I do two in a day. But I probably would never do two hard workouts in a day. That's just because I'm not at that sort of level where I could recover from such a load and ride the next day. If I did, it would strictly have to be <65% stuff.

I usually do a workout on the way in to work (hill repeats, intervals on the flat), and then just spin home. I prefer to do my hard stuff first, when I'm fresh. Some guys like to do the hard stuff in the evening. Whatever works best for you.

rudycyclist said:

Often, here (Wales) the weather is attrocious (like today) :(. When it's really bad (like today) i'll often ride the trainer in the morning getting in some intervals (or whatever). Then in the evening i'll go for a steady ride. Shouldn't be a problem getting in two rides/day (as long as they're both not 6 hrs long!!)

Ric

I don't know about cycling, but for years I used to run twice a day 5 days a week. 5 miles at 6am, then 10 - 15 miles late afternoon - all at under 6 minute mile pace. However Tues evenings we did interval training on the track. On Saturdays I did 22 miles on the road at 6 minute or under mile pace depending on how I felt. I kept this up into my forties til I suddenly quit running through sheer boredom.

When you've got to ride, you've got to ride. The snag is riding in the heavy rain as I'll be doing again today. Some weeks ago I was knocked off by a car as the rain slowed my brakes down and I couldn't stop in an emergency. That was a painful experience indeed.
Still, as I have no car I have to ride everywhere. There is no choice.

Catabolic_Jones said:
As a commuter, of course I do two in a day. But I probably would never do two hard workouts in a day. That's just because I'm not at that sort of level where I could recover from such a load and ride the next day. If I did, it would strictly have to be <65% stuff.

I commute as well but fighting in traffic, traffic lights and mad pedestrians often means both legs turn out harder than i would like but I do always try to ensure i either get one easy or non riding day a week. Having said all of that that I am finding new levels of strength when I get the road bike out on the weekends.

Lately, I have been doing a short ride with hills at lunch (10 miles), and a then a training ride on the flat in the evening (20 miles).

Just for another "data point:"

I posted about this here last year, wondering what would work best for those of us who commute by bike and want to combine that with race training. What I've found is that I really have no energy in the evenings, so I almost always do my hard workouts, sprints, intervals, in the morning, then spin home. Just like most of the others here seem to do.

But I also make absolutely certain that I take at least two days, even three, off the bike each week. Because riding twice in a day means your body only has half the time to recover for next day's ride as it would if you rode only once a day. (BTW, I ride between 120-200 miles/week, with 20 miles to work each way plus a longer ride or a race on weekends.)

Men's Health magazine's current issue (June '06, Hugh Jackman on the cover) has some brief thoughts on twice-a-day workouts, FYI. Seems to have a place in good workouts in their opinion.

DennistheMennis said:
I posted about this here last year, wondering what would work best for those of us who commute by bike and want to combine that with race training.

Just been out on the bike after a full week of commuting and suffered no end. Felt very weak on the climbs and wasnt recovering very quickly. May mean i have to take tomorrow off or at least make it a very light ride.

Thing is i hate public transport and that is the only other method for me to get to work during the week. I think I need to be more strict about taking it easy on the way home each evening.

Sillyoldtwit said:
...On Saturdays I did 22 miles on the road at 6 minute or under mile pace depending on how I felt. I kept this up into my forties til I suddenly quit running through sheer boredom.
Sillyoldtwit - If you're able to run 22 miles at 6 minute mile pace on a weekly training run, that's incredible... According to my pace charts, if you can run 26.2 miles (4.2miles more) at 6:02 minute mile pace, you'd be running a 2:38:14 marathon! Insane, why did you stop running? With more training you'd be able to win most local marathons and place very well in some of the larger ones...Unless I missed something...