Riding >two abreast can be legal?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by mkli, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    So I assume that you are unable to use bike lanes or bike paths, usual width less than 1m.

    Wide kerbside lane (at least in melbourne 4 - 4.5m).

    Hence, more romm per cyclist than an on road bike lane and wider than a bikepath where the close separation is to oncoming traffic.

  2. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:52:08 +1100, EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Four bicycle side by side in one lane is a
    >> > bit too crowded for my liking anyway.

    >> It's called a peleton

    or a training bunch overtaking a slower one one.

    >Which has no place on the road. That's something for racing and
    >racing only.

    which have every reason to be on the road.
    Singling out to overtake, questionable.

    Andre

  3. PiledHigher wrote:
    > Terry Collins Wrote:
    >
    >> Four bicycle side by side in one lane is a
    >>bit too crowded for my liking anyway.

    > So I assume that you are unable to use bike lanes or bike paths, usual
    > width less than 1m.

    Ass, U, me not {:).

    > Wide kerbside lane (at least in melbourne 4 - 4.5m).
    >
    > Hence, more romm per cyclist than an on road bike lane and wider than a
    > bikepath where the close separation is to oncoming traffic.

    Not the point. ?I have not friggin interest in having to spend all my
    time intently watching the edge of pathways and gutters when I ride.

    Part of the joy of bicycling is having the time to look around. I don't
    have any need to ride with my nose in someone else's arse or competing
    against them.

  4. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    A training bunch riding two abreast overtaing another training bunch two abreast in the same lane is illegal. No ifs, no buts. Either use the other lane to overtake if there is one or single out.

    It's a road, not a race track.

  5. dewatf

    dewatf Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:52:08 +1100, EuanB wrote:

    > Golly gosh, are we in agreement here for once dewatf? :)

    We probably agree about many things, that is just boring though :)

    dewatf.

  6. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:43:23 +1100, EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A training bunch riding two abreast overtaing another training bunch
    >two abreast in the same lane is illegal. No ifs, no buts. Either use
    >the other lane to overtake if there is one or single out.

    (I still disagree from my interpretation, but enough of that.)

    This highlights a big problem with cycling law. Its not accessible.
    Drivers get learner literature that pretty much covers everything
    that *directly* concerns them in *plain english*.

    The ACT handbook actually has a section for cyclists.
    http://www.transport.act.gov.au/driverandvehiclepolicy/Road_Rules_Handbook
    problem: its basically the additional road rules for cyclists section from the National RR.
    The general sections omit the exceptions that apply to cyclists,
    which include vehicles without indicators!
    So we have to go to the legalese NRR and the enabling/modifying legislation,
    and work out what the hell it means.

    Ye gads, the relevant bit from the ACT Handbook to this thread is:
    "Riding two abreast
    On certain roads, cyclists are permitted to ride two abreast.
    However, where this practice may not necessarily be
    the safest option, common sense must prevail."

    On certain roads????????????????????????

    and no mention of overtaking!

    Andre

  7. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    WHat is your point then and where do you ride.

    What you get of cycling is looking around smelling the roses. You aren't a comfortable enough cyclist to ride with other people fine. I was just pointing out the contradictions in your comments. A two way mixed use path can give you less space than riding 4 abreast on a road.