Riding up Oliver's Hill to be barred

EuanB

New Member
Jan 11, 2005
Frankston Leader [url="http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html" said:
http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html[/url]]

Riding up Olivers Hill to be barred

12Mar07

SOUTH-bound cyclists will almost certainly be barred from riding over Olivers Hill, Frankston, via the Nepean Highway.

A sign that advises cyclists to cross via Hopes Rise, beside the Nepean Highway, will be changed to compel their use of the detour.
Sgt Bruce Buchan, of Frankston traffic police, said last Thursday that Hopes Rise was safer for cyclists and VicRoads planned to enforce the change.
Olivers Hill is crossed by hundreds of sporting cyclists in each Saturday morning's ``hell ride'' from inner-Melbourne bayside suburbs to Mt Eliza.
Some hell riders avoid Hopes Rise, which has a number of speed humps, but Frankston police have been directing them to the detour.
A Queensland rider who broke from a south-bound pack of cyclists on Saturday, March 3, to climb the hill via the highway faces a $140 infringement notice or a court summons for having defied a policeman's lawful direction.

On the face of it not a bad idea in this particular case. What are the ramifications for other roads where the advisory signs directing cyclists off the main highway through more dangerous routes? There's one particular case on Princes Highway that springs to mind.

On Mar 15, 1:36 pm, EuanB <EuanB.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Frankston Leader [url="http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html" Wrote:
>

> >http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html[/url]]

> > RIDING UP OLIVERS HILL TO BE BARRED

> > 12Mar07

> > SOUTH-BOUND CYCLISTS WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BE BARRED FROM RIDING OVER
> > OLIVERS HILL, FRANKSTON, VIA THE NEPEAN HIGHWAY.
> > A sign that advises cyclists to cross via Hopes Rise, beside the
> > Nepean Highway, will be changed to compel their use of the detour.
> > Sgt Bruce Buchan, of Frankston traffic police, said last
> > Thursday that Hopes Rise was safer for cyclists and VicRoads planned to
> > enforce the change.
> > Olivers Hill is crossed by hundreds of sporting cyclists in each
> > Saturday morning's ``hell ride'' from inner-Melbourne bayside suburbs
> > to Mt Eliza.
> > Some hell riders avoid Hopes Rise, which has a number of speed
> > humps, but Frankston police have been directing them to the detour.
> > A Queensland rider who broke from a south-bound pack of cyclists
> > on Saturday, March 3, to climb the hill via the highway faces a $140
> > infringement notice or a court summons for having defied a policeman's
> > lawful direction.

> On the face of it not a bad idea in this particular case. What are the
> ramifications for other roads where the advisory signs directing
> cyclists off the main highway through more dangerous routes? There's
> one particular case on Princes Highway that springs to mind.

Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
vehicle?

It's interesting to note a change to the signs on the Western Freeway
in Brisbane. The "Bicycles" item in the list of what is not allowed
has been deleted. There's a very fine bikeway next to the freeway, but
still they have allowed bikes back on. Wot? Someone's had a win, but
it's odd. I can't imagine anyone riding on it, except the very
stubborn.

Donga

Bleve said:
On Mar 15, 1:36 pm, EuanB <EuanB.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Frankston Leader [url="http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html" Wrote:
>

> >http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html[/url]]

> > RIDING UP OLIVERS HILL TO BE BARRED

> > 12Mar07

> > SOUTH-BOUND CYCLISTS WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BE BARRED FROM RIDING OVER
> > OLIVERS HILL, FRANKSTON, VIA THE NEPEAN HIGHWAY.
> > A sign that advises cyclists to cross via Hopes Rise, beside the
> > Nepean Highway, will be changed to compel their use of the detour.
> > Sgt Bruce Buchan, of Frankston traffic police, said last
> > Thursday that Hopes Rise was safer for cyclists and VicRoads planned to
> > enforce the change.
> > Olivers Hill is crossed by hundreds of sporting cyclists in each
> > Saturday morning's ``hell ride'' from inner-Melbourne bayside suburbs
> > to Mt Eliza.
> > Some hell riders avoid Hopes Rise, which has a number of speed
> > humps, but Frankston police have been directing them to the detour.
> > A Queensland rider who broke from a south-bound pack of cyclists
> > on Saturday, March 3, to climb the hill via the highway faces a $140
> > infringement notice or a court summons for having defied a policeman's
> > lawful direction.

> On the face of it not a bad idea in this particular case. What are the
> ramifications for other roads where the advisory signs directing
> cyclists off the main highway through more dangerous routes? There's
> one particular case on Princes Highway that springs to mind.

Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
vehicle?
It's legal to prevent trucks on certain roads (weight / size limits) and to prevent bikes on some freeways, so it MAY be possible.

In aus.bicycle on 14 Mar 2007 20:38:11 -0700
Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
> road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
> permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
> vehicle?

Most freeways in most states prohibit animals and animal-drawn vehicles.
Some prohibit bicycles on part or all.

Some roads have weight limits, some have size limits. Don't see why
they can't be about underweight as well as overweight :)

Zebee

gplama wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

> Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
> Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

Wait until they finish Eastlink, then maybe they will have an "open
day" for non-vehicular traffic like they did with the Eastern. 90km
out and back.

On Mar 15, 2:47 pm, roshea <roshea.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>
> > On Mar 15, 1:36 pm, EuanB <EuanB.2ng...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > > Frankston Leader

> > [url="http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html"
> > Wrote:

> > >http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2007/03/12/11384_fsv_news.html[/url]]

> > OVER

> > planned to

> > suburbs

> > detour.

> > $140

> > policeman's

> > > On the face of it not a bad idea in this particular case. What are

> > the
> > > ramifications for other roads where the advisory signs directing
> > > cyclists off the main highway through more dangerous routes?

> > There's
> > > one particular case on Princes Highway that springs to mind.

> > Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
> > road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
> > permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
> > vehicle?It's legal to prevent trucks on certain roads (weight / size limits) and

> to prevent bikes on some freeways, so it MAY be possible.
>
> --
> roshea

Of course it is possible to prohibit vehicles. In this case, it is
much safer
to ride up Hopes Rise. You are looking at 80km/hr car traffic coming
around a bend
straight at you when you are doing around 40km/hr if you are Lance
Armstrong, and
about 15km/hr if you are me.

Makes perfect sense to me. I always ride up this way, and would not
even think
of taking the alternative.

On Mar 15, 2:46 pm, gplama <gplama.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>
> > Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

> Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
> Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!
>
> --
> gplama

I've always wanted to do a one exit run on a freeway, i.e. pick an
appropriate section (preferrably down hill) with good shoulder and go
down it, you could be on and off in a minute.

For example Blackburn to Forster Rds on the southeastern, downhill and
~1km long.

PiledHigher said:
On Mar 15, 2:46 pm, gplama <gplama.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>
> > Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

> Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
> Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!
>
> --
> gplama

I've always wanted to do a one exit run on a freeway, i.e. pick an
appropriate section (preferrably down hill) with good shoulder and go
down it, you could be on and off in a minute.

For example Blackburn to Forster Rds on the southeastern, downhill and
~1km long.
they have a race every year on the freeway from Belmont up to Joondalup in Perth (about 40 clicks i guess) which is awesome. 3 lanes of traffic all to yourself.

biggest danger is hitting the reflective lane markers at 50+!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

As others have said, yes. In fact, Beach Road is a good example, with
the ban on certain size trucks overnight and at weekends.

--
Shane Stanley

On Mar 15, 3:08 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 14 Mar 2007 20:38:11 -0700
>
> Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
> > road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
> > permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
> > vehicle?

> Most freeways in most states prohibit animals and animal-drawn vehicles.
> Some prohibit bicycles on part or all.
>
> Some roads have weight limits, some have size limits. Don't see why
> they can't be about underweight as well as overweight :)

I thought freeways were a different (special) case though? My
understanding was that a normal gazetted road was open to all
'vehicles' (which, AFAIK, includes bicycles). Thus the question.
And, Andrew, I've ridden up Olivers Hill and felt as safe as I feel on
most busy roads. Your paranoia does not mean the road is any more or
less safe than any other road.

On Mar 15, 3:08 pm, "Harng Goh" <[email protected]> wrote:
> gplama wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:
> > > Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

> > Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
> > Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

> Wait until they finish Eastlink, then maybe they will have an "open
> day" for non-vehicular traffic like they did with the Eastern. 90km
> out and back.

There's talk within Blackburn of organising a race along it before it
gets opened, maybe in conjunction with a BV ride as well. We'll see
what happens.

On Mar 15, 3:13 pm, "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2:46 pm, gplama <gplama.2ng...@no-
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:

> > > Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

> > Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
> > Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

> > --
> > gplama

> I've always wanted to do a one exit run on a freeway, i.e. pick an
> appropriate section (preferrably down hill) with good shoulder and go
> down it, you could be on and off in a minute.
>
> For example Blackburn to Forster Rds on the southeastern, downhill and
> ~1km long

I did that on a freeway in Queensland once by accident.

"Frankston police have been directing them to detour"

What a ****ing joke, last time I was there it was more like Frankston police forcing us to detour by nearly bloody killing everyong and hardly approaching this issue as though it was in our (cyclists- or hell riders if you will) best interests, what an absolute pile of ****.

AndrewJ wrote:

> Of course it is possible to prohibit vehicles. In this case, it is
> much safer to ride up Hopes Rise. You are looking at 80km/hr car
> traffic coming around a bend straight at you when you are doing
> around 40km/hr if you are Lance Armstrong, and about 15km/hr if you
> are me.

Really? Not been my experience. All but the most cavalier travel
within the limits of what they can see which certainly isn't 80km/h.
--
Cheers
Euan

On Mar 15, 1:26 pm, gplama <gplama.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> $140 big ones for breaking away from the pack? No chance we'll see Vino
> on the Hell Ride :(
>
> --
> gplama

It sounds like you guys recruited Mr Plod into nobbling the Qld
entrant. What a sorry lot. Go Reds!

Donga

Euan said:
AndrewJ wrote:

> Of course it is possible to prohibit vehicles. In this case, it is
> much safer to ride up Hopes Rise. You are looking at 80km/hr car
> traffic coming around a bend straight at you when you are doing
> around 40km/hr if you are Lance Armstrong, and about 15km/hr if you
> are me.

Really? Not been my experience. All but the most cavalier travel
within the limits of what they can see which certainly isn't 80km/h.
--
Cheers
Euan
The legal limit there is 60, BTW.