Riding When Emotionally Upset

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Women here have a saying that you should not go shopping when you are emotionally upset because you may be making wrong decisions. With riding, do you think the same rule applies? When I was riding regularly, I would grab the bike when I am emotionally upset. It seems that the bike is my security blanket, so to speak. It is my refuge when my mind is confused. Riding my bike gives me pleasure and it relieves the stress. When I am upset, riding releases the tension and I feel okay after 30 minutes on the road.

I actually think riding is one of the best things to do when you are emotionally upset. It will help to clear your mind and relax you. Just as long as you keep focused on the path.

Reactions: Che Grinta
I feel that it really depends on how emotionally upset you are. If you are angry that is one thing. If you are so upset that you cannot maintain awareness of your surroundings, that is quite a different beast. In the former, yes, going for a ride is a good idea to help focus and blow off steam. In the latter, however, it is not likely to be safe and you could end up putting yourself in danger.

Reactions: Regalia
One time I got pretty upset and just needed out of the house so I got on my bike and pedaled as fast and hard as I could. I actually PRed just because I was so desperate to escape. I was also in a bad state of mind though so I could've hurt myself or been in an accident because I wasn't paying the best attention to the road.

Personally, I enjoy biking the most when my emotion is at its happier state. For me, biking require good amount of concentration, mental toughness, and energy especially because I like to bike for a long time. If I am in a state of emotionally upset, then I can see that it will reduce both the effectiveness and the enjoyment of my ride. If I want to control my upset emotion or want to take a break from stressful activities, then I would rather jog or walk than bike because they require less mental toughness and I can basically space out when taking a walk. I also can listen to soothing music during that time anyway that will help me reduce my stress. Biking is way more fun activity, though, but only during the time when I am not feeling terrible.

I often go riding when I'm upset or frustrated as I find that it helps to clear my mind and calms me down. It's a way to get away from it all for a bit, and I find that I'm able to think a lot clearer after a ride, and the issue I was worried or concerned about isn't actually that much of a problem in the first place.

bmcleod19 said:
One time I got pretty upset and just needed out of the house so I got on my bike and pedaled as fast and hard as I could. I actually PRed just because I was so desperate to escape. I was also in a bad state of mind though so I could've hurt myself or been in an accident because I wasn't paying the best attention to the road.
I also do that sometimes. When I am very upset in the office, I would grab my bike when I get home and roam around our village. But I don't pedal that fast like you because it is a risk I cannot take. I had a fractured arm with a metal brace so I cannot afford to take a crash. Being upset may cause accidents when you run too fast. And as you said, you are not paying attention to the road. That's the point of riding for me, I let the troubles be gone with the wind as I move along slowly but surely.

Getting out in to the fresh air to partake in physical activity such as cycling is good for a person. I think.

limerickman said:
Getting out in to the fresh air to partake in physical activity such as cycling is good for a person. I think.
Depends on the person. I love doing this and it helps me a lot. I have a lot of trouble with stress and insomnia and going out on night/early morning rides are very good for my mental health (and physical). I ride on a dedicated bike path, away from the traffic and I feel much safer there. I have a friend who goes full psycho when he's driving his car and is upset or nervous. I know that's different, but riding when distracted can be dangerous if you're riding on the road and actively participating in traffic.

I think any outdoor exercise is good when a person is emotionally upset, because it helps to disarm the situation. You become aware of your surroundings, instead of concentrating on your thoughts while indoors.

Walking is especially good for lessening the effects of an emotional situation. Biking is also good -- IF you have the presence of mind to concentrate on a safe ride. Riding on a bicycle requires our brains to adjust to the activity.

Exercise helps with stress and anxiety.

I find that riding when I'm upset definitely helps me calm down, but in those cases I try to stick to trails or specified bike paths so I don't have to worry about traffic. Obviously you've still go to pay attention, but I think when you're already preoccupied with emotions it's a good idea to remove as many distractions and risk factors as possible while riding. Again, just speaking for myself, I tend to get way to far into my own head when I'm upset so I'd rather not be sharing the road with anything that could squish me while I'm daydreaming away about how ****** I am :p

For the shopping it is a plain, well-known truth to not do it if you are upset. However, for cycling, I don't think so. For me it is not, at least. When and if I were upset, I would grab my bike, just like you would, and I would set on a journey of stress relief and stress release. I would cycle faster, making my Adrenalin go up like crazy, and that would make me happy and fulfilled. I love cycling when stressed.

The truth is, when we are emotional upset or distressed, we cannot think rationally. And riding a bike consists of making decisions and rational thinking. If we are emotionally upset, there's that risk of accidents and you might end up in danger. So if you aren't capable of riding and thinking and focusing, it's not safe to put yourself in danger.

Gather yourself first. Try to keep calm and think rationally. Then you can ride your bike without endangering yourself or anyone else.

The truth is, when we are emotional upset or distressed, we cannot think rationally. And riding a bike consists of making decisions and rational thinking. If we are emotionally upset, there's that risk of accidents and you might end up in danger. So if you aren't capable of riding and thinking and focusing, it's not safe to put yourself in danger.

Gather yourself first. Try to keep calm and think rationally. Then you can ride your bike without endangering yourself or anyone else.

While I do ser where your coming from in regards to the safety aspect, exercise is well known to help when people are distressed or upset so in that respect it can help take your mind off the problem and give you something else to concentrate on, even if it is just to get some time away from your problems.

Yeah. Emotionally, the best thing one can do is physically work in some way.
I do ride specifically when I am upset or angry. I ride till I get out of that state. I feel riding is a great healer too for someone who has lost a near and dear one.

People use cycling for all different reasons, a hobby, exercise, transport and the list goes on. People often ride to clear the cobwebs away and try and clear their mind of worries so its not that uncommon for people to ride when they're upset.

I think it's definitely not a good idea to ride while you're upset. It's like getting behind the wheel of a car while upset. Bad things can happen.

I think it's definitely not a good idea to ride while you're upset. It's like getting behind the wheel of a car while upset. Bad things can happen.

But you don't get any exercise and you can't burn off whatever is troubling you in a car, that's the whole point of getting on a bike and riding off into the distance for a while.

Exercise is therapeutic and is well known to ease stress so cycling should be good for you if your upset, and could help the situation.

I'm rarely upset but I do like to get to a certain place during very long rides. This place is like a different state of being and might be like meditation. Focus on breathing and delivering oxygen to the working muscles. See and smell. No thinking. Eventually, I feel like a machine. No pains. At one with all.

Reactions: pwarbi