Riding while sick -yes or no.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by GrowingStronger, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GrowingStronger

GrowingStronger New Member

I have a terrible cold, I feel like death. Planning on going for a short ride tonight anyway, 10-15 miles. I believe it actually helps, increases circulation of oxygenated blood, in my uneducated opinion. However, I'm going to catch flack for this, when I change into cycling clothes instead of collapse into bed, I'll get the lecture - you guys know how women are, lol.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

One rule of thumb is that you can ride when the symptoms are above your neck, but when you've got symptoms below the neck, you shouldn't. Definitely don't ride if you've got a fever. Exercise actually weakens your body's immune system for a while, so pathogens can spread. Feeling like death is likely an indication that you should take the day off from the bike.

3. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it if its really bad...

I remember once I had a bad nasty cold (not feverish though) and was coughing more slime then ghostbusters 1&2 but could not go home to get some rest.

I know that if I did I would be better in one, maybe two days. Instead the cold lasted for about 10days... The doctor told me that I had a throat infection and some chest infection. He prescribed me some antibiotics which I didnt take because I wasnt eating too well at the time. I was also prescribed a chest decongester (pharmaceutical) which I also didnt take.

I tried to fix the throat with some mint tea, that I heard its supposed to be anti-bacterial, but it didnt really help much, instead the hot tea made my throat hurt even more, or maybe this was how it felt when it was clearing out, who knows...

My biatch ex gf also told me that you could try some tea from the thyme herb, its supposed to "soften" the muccus in your lungs... But then again she was saying lots of $#@$# like that so that might be #[email protected]#@..

If I had fever I would just pop some pills (like something light, non prescription, not any strong stuff) to lower my temperature to normal and check if it the fever persisted.

In my also uneducated opinion, I would stay well away from hospitals... [​IMG] By the time they start treating you, you are allready fine...

Its not a big deal though, in worst case you be sick for one more day or something... Maybe the ride will worth it! [​IMG]

4. alienator

Well, your opinion isn't worth much given the "success" your "cures" have had. Herbal tea? Right. That's right up there with homeopathy.

5. GrowingStronger

Thanks. Um, it sounded like a good idea at the time, but it's just not happening. I'm too miserable. I'm taking some cold/flu nighttime medicine and going to bed. Maybe tomorrow night.

6. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Quote: Originally Posted by GrowingStronger .

Thanks. Um, it sounded like a good idea at the time, but it's just not happening. I'm too miserable. I'm taking some cold/flu nighttime medicine and going to bed. Maybe tomorrow night.

Try some day time cold/flu tabs and you'll go alright [​IMG]

7. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

Well, your opinion isn't worth much given the "success" your "cures" have had. Herbal tea? Right. That's right up there with homeopathy.

Hows the amazon babe with the 3 tits you are painting on your bike fork coming out? Good?
    [​IMG]

Volnix likes this.
  8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

No temperature, I ride. Temperature up, no ride.

Colds, sniffles, coughs I ride thru. Flu, fever, body aches I'll probably blow off riding.

9. GrowingStronger

Well, no ride last night, but I had my best time yet on a 5k run at the gym this morning - new fitness class, gotta keep up, you know. Definitely riding tomorrow morning.

10. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

I haven't had a cold or fever in over 3 years, so I have to start up the way-back machine here, and it's getting up there in years. However, thinking back to my college days, when I was a long-distance runner, I would keep running through a cold, but cut back on both mileage and intensity. I'd suggest that if you feel up to riding, treat them like recovery rides. I don't have any scientific justification for it, but I know that light activity made me feel better when fighting a cold. But I don't think it's a good idea to grind yourself down, either.

You know how to blow snot rockets without getting them on yourself or another rider, I presume? [​IMG]

11. GrowingStronger

Sounds like sage advice. Just don't ride downwind of me.

12. GreatWhiteShark

GreatWhiteShark New Member

I could not agree more with The Alienator's about only not riding with symptoms below the neck and got a fever. If you cannot breathe, then you should never exercise and if you have pains below the neck, then using so many muscles below the neck just brings a lot more pain. Why bring yourself more pain?

Putting your body through un-necessary pain, on a constant bases only damages the body and raises the level of when you consider the same level of pain bad for you.* It is one thing at lower and below average pain to put yourself through it, on an ongoing basis; it is whole another thing when it is average or above average pain, on an ongoing basis. Of course, the levels of pain(s) are determined by the individual.

I used know a fellow 'Shoe World' employee and military person (who turned to by gay- stated to support all sexualities) that claimed he could and has (while in battles) put himself under a state in which he never needed pain killers, even during surgeries.

*- It has long, long time since I heard about the scientific research that proved it.

With that being said, as a degreed and formerly certified (through the most respected teaching college or university in Florida and one of the most respected in The USA; though I have since disagreed with it being so great) PE facilitator and former Football -TE- Coach, I cannot disagree more with exercise for a short time lowers one's immunity system and has any negative effects. I would actually state I believe it is opposite effects on the body, especially if the sun is out and warm, no rain and not a lot of pollution.

13. GreatWhiteShark

Quote: Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark .
    I could not agree more with The Alienator's about only not riding with symptoms below the neck and got a fever. If you cannot breathe, then you should never exercise and if you have pains below the neck, then using so many muscles below the neck just brings a lot more pain. Why bring yourself more pain?

With that being said, as a degreed and formerly certified (through the most respected teaching college or university in Florida and one of the most respected in The USA; though I have since disagreed with it being so great) PE facilitator and former Football -TE- Coach, I cannot disagree more with exercise for a short time lowers one's immunity system and has any negative effects. I would actually state I believe it is opposite effects on the body, especially if the sun is out and warm, no rain and not a lot of pollution.

I forgot to mention that putting your body through un-necessary pain, on a constant bases only damages the body and raises the level of when you consider the same level of pain bad for you.* It is one thing at lower and below average pain to put yourself through it, on an ongoing basis; it is whole another thing when it is average or above average pain, on an ongoing basis. Of course, the levels of pain(s) are determined by the individual.
    I used know a fellow 'Shoe World' employee and military person (who turned to by gay- stated to support all sexualities) that claimed he could and has (while in battles) put himself under a state in which he never needed pain killers, even during surgeries.
    *- It has long, long time since I heard about the scientific research that proved it.

14. alienator

Unfortunately research is not on your side. Further, you have to define "short time."

15. GreatWhiteShark

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

Unfortunately research is not on your side. Further, you have to define "short time."

I still disagree, and I will have to leave it to just I agree to disagree and leave it the readers to research it for themselves, from creditable sources that is.

Alright, I generalize it to simply, I cannot disagree more with exercise lowers one's immunity system and has any negative effects. I would actually state I believe it is opposite effects on the body, especially if the sun is out and warm, no rain and not a lot of pollution.

I should also state that if one is injured or with diseases that do not go with exercising, then obviously exercising would not be good.

16. alienator

17. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

"The classic line from every sports medicine doctor is, 'If you can do it, do it. If you can't, don't,'" said Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, author of "Running Doc's Guide to Healthy Running."

Usually if symptoms are confined to above the neck, exercising is OK, he explained. But if you're running a fever of 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 degrees Celsius) or higher, skip it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/exercise-with-a-cold-work-out-while-sick-flu_n_2660465.html

This is pretty much the rules of thumb I've used for years. If I can throw a leg over and ride safely, I generally feel better on the road than laying on the couch watching soaps.

Science Daily says pretty much the same thing.

"Still, Veselik says a general rule is that it's okay to exercise if your symptoms are above the neck, such as a sore throat or runny nose.
    "If you aren't feeling well, but still want to exercise, lower your expectations about what you can do. You don't necessarily need to be in bed all day, but you can't expect to have the same level of energy as you would if you weren't sick," said Veselik."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121107132101.htm

Lance Armstrong rode thru some of his cancer treatments:

"In time, the doctors discovered something the cycling world already knew: Armstrong's body was different, maybe one in a million. It withstood a torrent of platinum-based chemotherapy. They pumped it through him as if he'd sprung a leak, and it dissolved the lung tumors. Armstrong vomited for hours at a time, but he willed himself to get on his bike and ride. He was bald, pale, sick. His legs were shrinking, the muscles in his powerful quads and calves deteriorated by inactivity. His lungs burned."

Not something to do without thinking about life...

18. GrowingStronger

Well, this has all proven a moot point. I haven't gotten in a ride yet since my original post. Felt bad last night, thought about and set my alarm early so I could get it in before work, felt bad, turned off alarm and slept 2 more hours. Tonight, probably not either, I can't shake the fever. Thanks to all, though, for the replies. Much appreciated.

19. JSWin

JSWin Member

Sometimes its better to just keep up doing the same things you normally do. Kind of like you are not sick at all. Everybody is different. The fresh air is good for you anyway. The important thing is to get the right amount of rest and sleep regardless. Even if you do a little more than some people would if they were sick. Its good to do what makes you happy. Sitting around commiserating the issue doesn't actually make it better.

20. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

If your life depends on it then you should ride. In any other case , even professionals do not take the risk. The reason behind this is simple, especially when you have a flu or any kind of cold, the rest period is crucial because every virus can live a permanent scar on you heart, or lungs, or any other organ for that matter. Check my words with your doctor. Ask him if you should rest or cycle when you are sick, and can a virus or bacteria when you have some kind of inflammation leave a permanent scar on some organs. Stay safe and rest in your bed for couple of days. Either way a fever would not let you go far.

artyarson likes this.