Riding with a Cold???

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
Past couple of days I've had a sore throat. The rest of me feels good and I'm optimistic that it's at the tail end. I've been taking some advil but don't want to take anything else.

I have a 4-day charity ride starting in 2 weeks and this weekend I wanted to put in 2 big rides. Any risk of getting injured when riding with a cold? Any advise on food/drinks before/during/after ride to ensure I don't make it worse?

Thanks.

noonievut said:
Past couple of days I've had a sore throat. The rest of me feels good and I'm optimistic that it's at the tail end. I've been taking some advil but don't want to take anything else.

I have a 4-day charity ride starting in 2 weeks and this weekend I wanted to put in 2 big rides. Any risk of getting injured when riding with a cold? Any advise on food/drinks before/during/after ride to ensure I don't make it worse?

Thanks.
Hi Noon, (good movie)

I see nobody has answered you here, probably because no one wants to give medical advice that might hurt you. I can only tell you that I used to run every day no matter what, even when I was sick with fever, cough, whatever. For three years it always seemed to make me feel better. Then a got a flu from hell, and running didn't help at all. I kept getting worse, until I finally realized that running one more day could very well put me into the hospital. And thus my "streak ended." The only moral to the story is there is no real answer to your question: you need to test for yourself and closely monitor the results. However, I would have to say that with a sore throat and cold weather, I'd be very careful.

i use cranberry juice when it's cold n flu season as a preventative to help keep the immune system up. better than OJ.
not sure of it's benefit if you're already ill though...

noonievut said:

Thanks.
I once read if the cold is above the shoulder (i.e head cold) its safe to continue training at a moderate level using your common sense. If its below the shoulders (i.e chest) then do not train, rest no less than 8 hours per day, take vitamins, 3L fluid daily, rest, fresh fruit & veg, oh and did I mention rest... I find fresh garlic on as much as you can handle seems to help. Isotonic drinks, would prob work better during/after ride over water as they hydrate the body far quicker than water.

Thanks. I did ride this weekend and actually felt better during the rides. The cold (mainly sore throat) is getting better and I'm happy I did go as I didn't want to waste the opportunity to ride.

Hi,

Hoodia Gordonii An Effective And Pure Herbal Method For Gaining Weight Loss & other Health problems. 100% Pure Hoodia Gordonii Medicines Has No Side Effects. It Work Postively On Your Body And Weight Loss Naturally.

I recently got a cold of sorts, I think from riding in the rain so much (it won't stop!). Anyways, this cold was in my head and then into chest. I kept riding but now I have found that I have a high temperature (>101) and feel just downright terrible. I can not even work, much less ride. who knows if my illness had anything to do with cycling but thats what happened when I decided to cycle with a cold.

Joolie said:
Hi,

Hoodia Gordonii An Effective And Pure Herbal Method For Gaining Weight Loss & other Health problems. 100% Pure Hoodia Gordonii Medicines Has No Side Effects. It Work Postively On Your Body And Weight Loss Naturally.
haha... what a ****... lol

Seriously, when I have a sore throat, I'll run or ride anyway. The only time I stop is when I feel it actually effecting my performance. Then I know it's time to take a rest and let my body recover. Taking that time will also rehabilitate your muscles and more than likely, you'll be feeling great in no time...

Take some rest bro.