Riding with a hernia?

lucien2

Jul 29, 2004
Dunno how I got it, but I did. Luckily the doctor says I'm ok for moderate riding until surgery day. I've been paying my road dues on my MTB while getting the money together for a road bike. I really enjoy road riding and am very much looking forward to the proper machine. I'm just bummed I got a hernia, because I can't really push myself for a couple weeks.

Anyone have experience with this? How long will it take me to recover from the surgery (It's outpatient, 2 hours)? I'm enjoying the hell out of cycling again for the first time in a couple years and I don't want to be laid up long.

lucien2 said:
Dunno how I got it, but I did. Luckily the doctor says I'm ok for moderate riding until surgery day. I've been paying my road dues on my MTB while getting the money together for a road bike. I really enjoy road riding and am very much looking forward to the proper machine. I'm just bummed I got a hernia, because I can't really push myself for a couple weeks.

Anyone have experience with this? How long will it take me to recover from the surgery (It's outpatient, 2 hours)? I'm enjoying the hell out of cycling again for the first time in a couple years and I don't want to be laid up long.
My father, (who is 65) just had surgery on a double hernia. I think he said he was hoping to start riding again 6 weeks after the surgery. His girlfriend told him that hernia surgery would be the closet a male comes to see what kind of pain is involved in having children. :)

:eek:

oh great. I think this one isn't as bad; they said if I'm lucky I'll be down a couple of days, but if it's weeks...... blech. Apparently mine is real small, so fixing it shouldn't be as involved as a double hernia, which sounds doubly painful.

Lucien2,
I just had an Umbilical Hernia repaired 2 weeks ago today. It was scheduled for Aug 31st, but it strangulated and they had to do it sooner. Maybe because I am 40, but I personally am not bouncing back like I thought I would. I don't expect to get back on the bike for another month.
I also have had a few minor complications such as drainage that is more than the Dr. expected.

I wish you luck, it is a routine surgery and just don't push it too fast in your return the bike. In the long run it may lead to even more time off the bike.

BTW, I had the other type of hernia repair back in my early twenties and niether one even comes remotely close, pain wise, to having a Kidney Stone , those are close to a woman giving birth, a Hernia is not even in the same race with stones and giving birth.

Metalleg said:
Lucien2,
I just had an Umbilical Hernia repaired 2 weeks ago today. It was scheduled for Aug 31st, but it strangulated and they had to do it sooner. Maybe because I am 40, but I personally am not bouncing back like I thought I would. I don't expect to get back on the bike for another month.
I also have had a few minor complications such as drainage that is more than the Dr. expected.

I wish you luck, it is a routine surgery and just don't push it too fast in your return the bike. In the long run it may lead to even more time off the bike.

BTW, I had the other type of hernia repair back in my early twenties and niether one even comes remotely close, pain wise, to having a Kidney Stone , those are close to a woman giving birth, a Hernia is not even in the same race with stones and giving birth.
Have to agree. I had emergency surgery for a hernia when I was 16 (6 years ago). The pain was pretty bad (I had 1.5 ft / 0.5 m of intestine in my nut sack), but I have to believe that passing a stone is FAR worse than having a hernia. And by the way, it's not really the surgery or recovery that hurts, it's the hernia. For the record, I went to the hospital on a Weds night, got out Sunday, took a Math final on Tuesday (got a 97) and took a French final on Wednesday (got a 100). Still, try hard not to laugh, cause that hurts. All in all, you'll probably get back to normal after a few weeks.

mijenks said:
Have to agree. I had emergency surgery for a hernia when I was 16 (6 years ago). The pain was pretty bad (I had 1.5 ft / 0.5 m of intestine in my nut sack), but I have to believe that passing a stone is FAR worse than having a hernia. And by the way, it's not really the surgery or recovery that hurts, it's the hernia. For the record, I went to the hospital on a Weds night, got out Sunday, took a Math final on Tuesday (got a 97) and took a French final on Wednesday (got a 100). Still, try hard not to laugh, cause that hurts. All in all, you'll probably get back to normal after a few weeks.
owwwwwwwwww.