Riding With a Legend

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jjr071160, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. jjr071160

    jjr071160 Guest

    (Before I start I went back and read the many posts that would disagree with
    me on this, no flaming necessary)

    Last Friday I had the an opportunity to ride with Greg LeMond, 3 time Tour
    de France Champion at the kickoff event for the 2004 Trek 100 which raises
    money for children's cancer research. In a nutshell, what a treat; not so
    much as having the guy 3 feet to my left talking to me being Greg, not
    watching his technique (I need all the help I can get), but seeing what a
    regular guy he is. In these days of athletes being me-me and really
    self-absorbed (including that guy that's going for his 6th TDF victory this
    year), Greg was as interested in listening to someone talk about their bike
    or their best ride as he was about telling of how we won de Tour in by 8
    seconds. Matter of fact, he didn't bring anything up about himself. He
    kidded us that we could all drop him and take it easy on him. I asked him
    if he would be kind enough to sign a poster I had laminated of him when be
    was SI's Sportsman of the Year in '89 and he said no problem at all. I
    brought it to the dinner that evening and he got a real charge out of it;
    "That's when I was skinny, had poofy hair, and went fast." They broke out a
    huge box of posters of him winning the Worlds in '89 and he was signing them
    for everyone writing things like, "You could have beat me that day." My
    camera was on low battery so it took a few seconds to cycle up and he was
    very patient with it, just had a great time. My buddy, who is just getting
    started with cycling but very enthusiastic, asked Greg about training and he
    spent 10 minutes with him going over what works and how to do it
    properly.The best thing of the entire weekend is the riders raised over
    $500,000 for research but for the 82 of us in the Century Club it was extra
    special. It was very cool to not only meet someone I look up to for his
    biking ability but that he didn't feel any better than I am. If other
    professional athletes were like him we could actually have them as role
    models.

    Tags:

  2. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I so wish Greg would start racing masters races.

    news:[email protected]