riding with partners

atomship47

Aug 21, 2006
i've really only ridden solo. i enjoy that. it's like transcendental therapy for me. that's one reason i like hitting the country roads rather than the bike paths.

occasionally i come across someone who wants to chat. this interesting character struck up a conversation with me one day. he was 70 years old and riding a hybrid. he said he sometimes rides 60 miles a day. he also said that he and his son rode to new orleans one time. funny, i was struggling to keep up and was STILL holding him back.

I usually ride alone, and I do like to push myself, but ny favorite rides have been with friends, even though rare because of distance, these are my favorite rides.

i voted other, depends on the day. Some days you feel like company, others just want to go at my own pace.

2 old 2 go slow said:
Alone or with others, it doesn't matter as long as I get to ride.

Alone, at my own pace, based on what my energy levels and weekly plans dictate on the day.
Competing against other riders when you see them is quite fun.

I ride alone... come on, do you really expect anyone to wanna ride with me? :eek:

I ride alone. No one wants to get up while it is still dark out to go with me. I like riding in the early morning since there are very few cars on the road then.

With whom do I usually prefer to ride?

I usually prefer to ride with a cyclist that
Sticks to the road rules.
Isn't super fast.
Enjoys unplanned long rides on Sundays.
Doesn't expect me to have the lastest bike and gear.

This Spring cycle instead of using the intenet

I used to ride alone, but now that I hooked up with a riding group it's like I never want to do it alone again.

During the week, I tend to prefer to ride alone, just because its easier to get in my workout without having to conform to someone elses schedule or vice versa...

but if I have the umph, I will go out for a group ride that is organized from the LBS near me, I kind of enjoy the safety of numbers and we go at a pace that still allows some conversation and we go longer than I would normally by myself...

because we are the "B" group, and we had a new person show up that had recently started cycling, I became the "group leader" by default (just because I
happened to know the route...). it was kind of interesting...

most of the time, i ride alone. my immediate group of friends dont have road bikes, and my mtb is far too **** for me to go out riding with them (im working on that though!) so its usually just me, the road and my mind trying to outpace my last ride.

i do love every opportunity i get to go out with a bunch though, wether its a bunch of 2 or a bunch of 10... having those extra people to push you and have a little chat is just great :)

I usually ride alone because I do most of my miles to and from work.

However, my preference is to go with friends. But since free time is hard to come by, that can be difficult. So if I manage to come across another rider who feels like yappin', well I'll go with that.

It's hard for me to do longer rides by myself, over the same courses it just gets dull. I like riding with teammates as well as family and friends for social rides whenever they express interest in doing so.

PartisanRanger said:
It's hard for me to do longer rides by myself, over the same courses it just gets dull. I like riding with teammates as well as family and friends for social rides whenever they express interest in doing so.
I agree with you there, with one caveat, I have found that for me to enjoy the company and the ride, they have to want to go at a fairly good clip. And by that, I mean I don't like to go sub 11 mph. It frustrates me.

I like to ride with others. Having someone there alongside really helps me push myself further and harder. If I'm going solo it's too easy to focus on my legs hurting, how long a hill is, it's easier to slack up on the pace, etc. Having another person alongside REALLY gets my competative side up which helps me push ride faster and harder all the way around whether it's a flatland sprint, a hill climb, or a quick descent. I'd think it also helps deter aggressive motorists from plalying polo with you.