Riding with road rash

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I took a big spill on my bike a couple days ago and scuffed up both of my arms quite a bit. My arms are covered in Neosporin and gauze. It's a bit painful, but nothing is broken, so I can still ride. I have a big event this weekend, for which I have been preparing for awhile, that I still want to do.

Has anyone out there done a long, hard ride while all bandaged up? Any words of advice?

Thanks

Been there done that. I was worried as well as to how I'd deal with it. For me it was an elbow and a shin that had road rash and bandages. Since I was in shorts. Lower part wasn't an issue. It hurt! But I found I only noticed it when I was either stopped or when my clothes rubbe against it. I think I was enjoying myself too much to let it bother me. Now sleeping......that was a pain. Elevated and couldn't roll around as usual.

Go for it. If it's too much then decide at that moment whether to continue.

So far. I like your trooper attitude.

Get some hydrocolloid bandages and cover your wounds with that instead. It will heal faster, stay cleaner and be more protective than regular gauze. And will cushion the injury against your clothing, etc. They are not cheap but well worth it.

3M? Tegaderm? Hydrocolloid Dressing