Riding with the brakes on

CelikOk

Dec 29, 2006
Today I went for a ride. From get go it felt as if I was riding with the brakes on. It was so bad I checked to see if there was a problem with my brakes. No, there were no problems with the brakes. It just felt so hard, even flat sections (no head wind) was difficult. I normally commute to work on my bike, but I have not been able to do that for about 2 weeks. But I did go on a quick pace ride the weenend before (35 miles) and it was OK. Today's ride was longer (60 miles) but from the start I was having a hard time. Do you ever get this feeling (riding with the brakes on)? Was it just an off day for me? Or did I do something wrong?

matagi said:
Bearings in bottom bracket?
  • under inflated tyres,
  • all that pudding last night
  • rear break pad on one side as caliper slipped a bit and barely noticeable
  • rear bearing certainly but it should make a bit of a noise
  • head wind (argh)
  • two very full large bidons
  • jersey pockets full of keys, phone, camera, gas bottles, tubes, phone and you are carrying too much coin as change...
  • gradient ( uplift from tectonic plate movement during ride....?)
  • derailleur badly worn and rollers binding
  • side of tyre just rubbing on inside of chainstay - easy to pull a wheel under accelleration with steel frames and worn quick release binder.
  • you forgot to remove the child carrier and the child
  • the panniers, the wine cask and the bedroll are not necessary for a coffee shop ride everytime.
  • you are drenched from head to toe and as its so long since it last rained you forgot what being wet weighed like
just a few... and when all else fails...yes sometimes , it is that it seems like it, and you are not alone....I feel it too often... probably all those muffins!

sogood said:
Wheel out of true. Wheel hub bearing stuffed.
Should have mentioned, there was no mechanical reason for it. I think my performance was way below my average.

ÇelikOk said:
Should have mentioned, there was no mechanical reason for it. I think my performance was way below my average.
'ts OK...well we may think that...but of course we would never say it!

rooman said:
  • under inflated tyres,
  • all that pudding last night
  • rear break pad on one side as caliper slipped a bit and barely noticeable
  • rear bearing certainly but it should make a bit of a noise
  • head wind (argh)
  • two very full large bidons
  • jersey pockets full of keys, phone, camera, gas bottles, tubes, phone and you are carrying too much coin as change...
  • gradient ( uplift from tectonic plate movement during ride....?)
  • derailleur badly worn and rollers binding
  • side of tyre just rubbing on inside of chainstay - easy to pull a wheel under accelleration with steel frames and worn quick release binder.
  • you forgot to remove the child carrier and the child
  • the panniers, the wine cask and the bedroll are not necessary for a coffee shop ride everytime.
  • you are drenched from head to toe and as its so long since it last rained you forgot what being wet weighed like
just a few... and when all else fails...yes sometimes , it is that it seems like it, and you are not alone....I feel it too often... probably all those muffins!
LOL, prety comprehensive list. But, I already mentioned no mechanical cause and no pudding or muffins were involved in my case. I guess I was weakened by something and did not know it. I did not mention, it was early in the morning and I suspect I did not drink enough before setting off. So I am putting it down to being dehydrated at the start and even though I drank plenty of electrolyte later I just never recovered. That is my theory.

ÇelikOk said:
LOL, prety comprehensive list. But, I already mentioned no mechanical cause and no pudding or muffins were involved in my case. I guess I was weakened by something and did not know it. I did not mention, it was early in the morning and I suspect I did not drink enough before setting off. So I am putting it down to being dehydrated at the start and even though I drank plenty of electrolyte later I just never recovered. That is my theory.
it's what is often heard as "I just didnt have the legs today"

but seriously there can be a logical answer to this, often it is looking at your training regime and seeing if you have had adequate rest...

rest is a vital part of performance training, for all sports.

without recovery the muscles do not build resilience and strength...continued training without rest leads to weakness and the feeling of "no legs"...all elite athletes "taper"before a major event, and it is the same for us less elite souls, we too have to give the body a chance to recover in our training plan to "perform".

look up many of the training manuals, Carmichael's, Street's, Friel's. they all stress the importance of recovery and rest.

Think back...it may have a connection to your "off day"

lack of sleep (as a student this is my first thought). also the cold or chilly wind can kill my legs if i'm not prepared for it... something to do with blood flow.

AsteriskMan said:
lack of sleep (as a student this is my first thought). also the cold or chilly wind can kill my legs if i'm not prepared for it... something to do with blood flow.
Weall have days like this, your body is just saying can I please have some rest.

This is exactly the way I feel when I have an infection of some kind. I also get off the bike and look to see if the brakes are rubbing, or if the wheel is impeded in some way, but it always turns out that I'm just not physically up to par..

Thank you all for your replies. Any one of those things you mentioned could have caused it.

Anyhow I am giving my legs a rest for a few days before I go back on the bike. This weekend I want to do another 60 miles, but I'll have to adjust the climbing according to how I feel.

On some days, you're the bug, other days, you're the teeth. I've had days when I knew which category I was in!!! Before I blamed the bike, I'd wait to ride again and see if the problem persists. If so, then you may have a problem.

it could possibly be a fuel issue, if you're on one of those stupid low carb diets you could be in a permabonk (yes i just made up a word, shoot me.) no carbs=no legs.

zigoat said:
it could possibly be a fuel issue, if you're on one of those stupid low carb diets you could be in a permabonk (yes i just made up a word, shoot me.) no carbs=no legs.
That is another possibility. I do not believe in low carb diet, nor am I on any kind of diet. But in the preceding days I do not remember consuming any of my favorite meal, pasta.

ÇelikOk said:
.......... Do you ever get this feeling (riding with the brakes on)? Was it just an off day for me? Or did I do something wrong?
This is phenomenon that only happens to Californian's. It really get's bad if you're a Dodger fan.:D

lw

ÇelikOk said:
Do you ever get this feeling (riding with the brakes on)? Was it just an off day for me? Or did I do something wrong?
I had this feeling this morning on my MTB after a month away and recovering from the flu. Ouch luckily/unluckily I found that the calipers were jammed so much there was no spin on the wheels even down hill. Now the bike is in the shop for maintenance so busy I have to wait a week. In this case I can blame mechanical. Hmm back to the roadie.

Back to the topic, check/ change the diet maybe do a carb load the day before your next ride, for me it's definately noticable when I don't carb up.