Riding yesterday afternoon, and I was stopped by a cop.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
We had a January thaw here in Detroit, it was hazy sun and 58 degrees. My Specialized and I got out there and did an awesome 20. So, cycling through one of my favorite, enormous subdivisions, and I stopped for water and to take off a layer. This vehicle pulls up along side ... can I ask you a few questions .... The guy is a cop who lives in the sub, he said he has noticed me riding all the time, and that I've lost a lot of weight (45 lbs) and look good. He had a lot of questions, he was pretty heavy and said it was imperative he lose a lot of weight, because it is a problem on the job. So, I told him what I've done, cycling, nutrition, joined a gym and working with personal trainer, i told him he could get a free weeks pass to my gym, and who to talk to if he was interested in joining and/or one of the organized fitness groups or in personal training. Best traffic stop I ever had.

Good for both of you--hope you get the chance to encourage him further (by choice...).

Good job, MBB! LEO's do a lot of sitting and many get way out of shape. It's always good to help them back onto the road to fitness.

65° here in Ohio on Saturday and 67° yesterday! A nice January thaw! Back to 32° today.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif At least there's no major snow forecasr for the next 5-7 days.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

We had a January thaw here in Detroit, it was hazy sun and 58 degrees. My Specialized and I got out there and did an awesome 20.

So, cycling through one of my favorite, enormous subdivisions, and I stopped for water and to take off a layer. This vehicle pulls up along side ... can I ask you a few questions ....

The guy is a cop who lives in the sub, he said he has noticed me riding all the time, and that I've lost a lot of weight (45 lbs) and look good.

He had a lot of questions, he was pretty heavy and said it was imperative he lose a lot of weight, because it is a problem on the job.

So, I told him what I've done, cycling, nutrition, joined a gym and working with personal trainer, i told him he could get a free weeks pass to my gym, and who to talk to if he was interested in joining and/or one of the organized fitness groups or in personal training.

Best traffic stop I ever had.
-2 Celsius today with ice packed roads here, so you're lucky to be able to be able to get out.

When you meet him in your local gym, suggest to him to stay out of the Doughnut shop!

Cold here in Detroit again, winter is back. I got home last night with the intent of riding, but fell asleep reading my mail. Better luck tonight, I'd like to get a few more rides in before ice and snow return.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Cold here in Detroit again, winter is back. I got home last night with the intent of riding, but fell asleep reading my mail. Better luck tonight, I'd like to get a few more rides in before ice and snow return.
yeah, we didn't have that kind of distractions in the past, emails. One more thing to worry about for the time constraint cyclist, i refuse to buy a smartphone for this reason but the good news is that the new bike computer generation has the capability and potential to integrate a smartphone with the computer, garmin is going already in that direction. For the ones using indoor trainers at night for example, there might be internet + TV integration in order to bike and see those emails at the same time,

Hi,
I don`t know what happend there in Detroit. I never be there in USA so far.
But I think if you have problems with cops in Detroit, you must call Axel Foley /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Best Wishes
John

His diet might be a problem. Donuts are high in sugar and sugar makes people fat. He should also try cycling as being in a gym is boring for some but cycling still gets you out and about. Only thing is he must NEVER try to bite his tyres thinking they are a type of donut.

You know, funny about cycling vs cycling on a stationary bike at the gym. LOVE getting out there, obviously. Shoot me dead before I spend another 30 minutes on a stationary bike. I guess I should do it, to keep the cycling muscle set in shape, but talk about boring as Hell. I guess that explains why the Kurt Kinetic I bought in October is still in the box. I'll run, I'll do cardio on the treadmill or an elliptical, and I'll do strength training at the gym, I'll ski and snowshoe and ride the Surly before I'll plunk my ass down on the seat of a stationary bike again. Argh!