ridley tempo race,scott speedster 40 or giant defy 2?

frgly

Aug 4, 2013
Hi I am new to cycling and am int the market for a road bike . My budget is about a thousand euro and the above bikes are all in and about that. I will be doing hour and a half to two hour spins on the weekends and after I clock up enough miles I will do a triathlon.
All three bikes have a tiagra groupset. The Ridley has a carbon fork while the others don't.
Which one would you reccomend to suit my needs?
I thank you in advance.

I'd suggest test riding the bikes and buying on the one that fits best, rides best, and handles best. Otherwise, there's no reliable way to say what will be best for you.

the Scott: seat tube angle is 1 or 2 degrees larger than the other two, which means a more forward position, better for triathlon. wheels look allright, with 2mm spokes, 24 count on the rear 9 speed drivetrain Compact Crankset 50-34 Sora (New) Levers Giant: more sturdy wheels, 28 count on the rear, also good 14g spokes (2mm) 10 speed drivetrain Compact Crankset 50-34 Tiagra Levers Ridley: 10 speed cassette Compact Crankset 50-34 Wheels not good for lots of training mileage ( because of their spoke layout) Shimano 105 levers and the winner is: Scott (with the compromise of a future drivetrain and levers upgrade)

would it me worth upgrading to the speedster 30? The bike costs a hundred more but has a full 10 speed tiagra groupset.Would there be much of a difference?

If you think you want the extra gear (10 vs. 9), it will be difficult to upgrade your drivetrain for 100 Euro or less - certainly will cost you (much) more with new Shimano parts at retail. You'll need a 10 speed right shifter, a 10 speed rear cassette, chain, and installation to make the conversion.

Make a difference? Depends on the terrain you ride, but as a general statement - yes, worth it.

Will give you an extra gear on each chainring (big /small) to use without cross chaining. Also can run a tighter ratio of gears (depending on cassette), which can be more efficient on flat/rolling terrain. For hills, the extra position makes a wider gear ratio possible (again depending on the cassette chosen).

If you can avoid the temptation to covet Shimano 105, then the upgrade to Tiagra is worth the [COLOR= rgb(16, 14, 68)]€[/COLOR]100. However, if you will eventually want 105, Ultegra, or DA, then save your money to put toward the final groupset you want. There is a frameset change (hydro-formed aluminum) in the pre-configured Scott Speedster line that jumps the price for the 10 and 20 series with 105/Ultegra (and other component upgrades) to much more than [COLOR= rgb(16, 14, 68)]€[/COLOR]100.