Rids and Comps in Queensland / Brisbane Area

McTwistie

Mar 28, 2004
Hi there. I just wanted to start a thread about rides and comps in the strip from wurwillumbah up to Noosa. There seems to be a hell of a lot of rides and different comps in this area. So I will throw in my 2 cents first, then see what you guys think.

1. The gap tornadoes, sunday morning ride. 50-65km, at medium to high pace. This is a pretty relaxed ride with a good group. No stuffing around here, and everyone keeps an eye out for each other. Will stop if there are problems - no need to go home alone. I have only done the Airport ride here so far.

2. Dr Spokes ride from Mermaid beach, Gold coast down to currumbin creek road. This is a challenging 65km ride. It starts off with a relaxed 15k warmup at 33-38km, down to the currumbin turnoff, then heads uphill for another 20k's. I was pretty stuffed near the end, but they have a 5 minute break up near the top. Then it is HELL for LEATHER back down. IT kicks a lot, and if you find yourself still there at the end, then your a legend :). They will wait at the turnoff for stragglers (Up to point), then continue back at a good pace.

3. Star Cafe, Southbank, Brisbane. This ride took off for wellington point. We were a bit down on numbers, but still hit it pretty hard on what is a very hilly course. The hills aren't particularly bad, but there are a lot of them, and few flat areas. One of the hardest rides I have done, was dropped at 60km, and then flatted at 62 !!

4. Noosa - Saturday ride from the Fire Station (Rides every day except sunday). The ride took off from Noosa, and then down through coolum, and turn-around was not far short of maroochydore. The first 10 k's were very hilly, then it flattened out into a wonderfully smooth ride, with excellent company. Probably the friendliest company I have ever been in, and included Andrew Johns (The Triathlete). I loved this ride, and ended with an avg speed of 33.5. Those last 10k's of hills at the end were killers !!

Thats all the rides I have been on so far. Been on some of them a few times, but I am doing the TREK series over the next 3 sunday's. (My first races) The rides are around 70k's each, so should be a real challenge for me!. Will let you know how I go.

I would love to hear about other rides that may be going on, and email me at [email protected] if you want more info.

Cheers

Mike

Does anyone know how to change a post heading ?? After the fact?? LOL. Would much rather RIDE then RID

I tried the Southbank, Star Cafe ride again. It was a little chilly this morning, but weather looked good.

About 80 or 90 of us left at 6am. By far the biggest group I have been in. We warmed up to 40km/hr fairly quickly, and then kept that pace the entire ride (other then stopping at the lights). This was a disciplined fast ride, and I loved it.

The ride went up to Redcliffe pier and back. A total of 85km. There was a 5min Toilet/Food break at the pier, then we were off again. I was very comfortable with the group, and took my turn up front at about the 65km mark. Doing 42km/hr on the front with a slight headwind - I could only keep it up for about 2 km.s but it was a hoot.

Best Ride I have done so far... I am going back for more :)