rigging a replacement lens for silca superpista pressure gauge?

w.a. manning

Guest
one of my idiot riding buddies borrowed my silca super-pista and
promptly lost the plastic lens that covers the gauge. i've been lucky
thus far and havent damage the gauge...yet.

i've called around and the closest anyone will come is supplying me
with a completely new gauge. that's overkill, as the thing works fine.
anyone know where i might be able to locate a replacement or somethign
that will work (i dont have the diameter of the gauge handy). i
suppose i can just cut a circular disc out of clear plastic, but i'd
prefer a neater setup if possible.

suggestions?

Walter Manning writes:

> I lost the plastic lens that covers the gauge. i've been lucky
> thus far and havent damage the gauge...yet.

> I suppose i can just cut a circular disc out of clear plastic, but
> i'd prefer a neater setup if possible.

> Any suggestions?

You're on the right track. If you really want a clear long lasting
lens, go to a glass company and have them cut you a circular window.
The main problem is getting a glass cutter to make a circle. These
things are diamond tipped scribes and if you have a round object to
trace around, you can do this yourself with any piece of suitably
thick, cheap window pane. After you scribe it, scratch some leaders
to the circle so you can brake tangential pieces off around the lens.
Glass is easier to break but it doesn't scratch or get dull with
solvents and cleaning agents and is easy to clean.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

<jobst.brandt wrote: (clip)The main problem is getting a glass cutter to
make a circle. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Scribing a small circle with a glass cutter can be very challenging, as
Jobst has indicated. Here's what I suggest (I used to own a paint store and
sold lots of window glass, which had to be cut to size.) If you go to a
paint or hardware store which sells glass, they will have a box of scrap
which they will probably be willing to give you. Take enough so you can
practice, and so, if you fail a few times, you can keep going. If you can
manage to cut a piece that's a little oversize, but rough, you can do
wonders with a belt or disk sander. The best way is to sand it wet--you
will get a very smooth result. If you sand it dry, the result will not be
as pretty. The gauge ring probably has enough of a rolled edge to cover the
not-nice part.

custom cut glass?

i went with a much less sophisticated solution. just cut a disc out
of clear plexiglass. trimmed it to size/shape w/ my dremel and
secured it in place with clear weather stripping tape.

voila!