Right Angle ( Barrel Adjusters?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going into
the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going
> > into the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom
>
> No, but pulleys and 90-degree metal cable guides do exist.

The Travel Agent pulley can be set up so the cable pull does not change (it's normally used to
adapt standard brake levers to "V" brakes). There's a version of the Travel Agent that includes a
barrel adjuster.

Jeff

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going into
> the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom

i always have problems with this bend. im sure youve seen the following options before, but in case
someone hasnt-

first, you can buy (they come with some headset cable hangers) a curved tube which takes the place
of the barrel adjuster in the cable hanger. this allows the housing to make a sharp bend without
actually kinking the housing. unfoprtunately, you lose the barrel adjusting properties. I get
around this with a fourth hand tool and an allen key, but those arent things you lug around the
road with you.

second, i found (and have seen elsewhere, its fairly intuitive) that if your cable hanger is very
close to the stem and would result in a sharp bend, you can often ease the angle the housign has to
make by routing the housing *over* the stem and down to the cable hanger on the other side. i
discovered this when i put a cross lever on my front brake a year back. in that case it was pretty
much imposible to do otherwise. but it has also mitigated the housing angle on a normal bar setup.

this latter solution looks much nicer than the former. it would seem that the two could be
combined. a curved tube could easily be made to accept a barrel adjuster. maybe its the next
problem solvers product?

just a coupla' thoguhts.

cheers, anthony

No, I think what he's referring to is a cable hanger, for use with cantilever brakes, that accepts
the brake housing at some angle other than verticle. It is often difficult with hangers that sit
rather close to the bars, to achieve a graceful bend in the brake housing such that it ends up in
alignment with the hanger. A 45 degree hanger/barrel adjuster is more realistic, and would IMHO be
very useful.

news:[email protected]...