Right Angle ( Barrel Adjusters?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Nakashima, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going into
    the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going into
    > the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom

    No, but pulleys and 90-degree metal cable guides do exist.

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going
    > > into the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom
    >
    > No, but pulleys and 90-degree metal cable guides do exist.

    The Travel Agent pulley can be set up so the cable pull does not change (it's normally used to
    adapt standard brake levers to "V" brakes). There's a version of the Travel Agent that includes a
    barrel adjuster.

    Jeff

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Do right angle barrel adjusters exist? I would use them for making the sharp cable bend going into
    > the headset cable housing hanger for cantilever front brakes on a road/touring bike. -tom

    i always have problems with this bend. im sure youve seen the following options before, but in case
    someone hasnt-

    first, you can buy (they come with some headset cable hangers) a curved tube which takes the place
    of the barrel adjuster in the cable hanger. this allows the housing to make a sharp bend without
    actually kinking the housing. unfoprtunately, you lose the barrel adjusting properties. I get
    around this with a fourth hand tool and an allen key, but those arent things you lug around the
    road with you.

    second, i found (and have seen elsewhere, its fairly intuitive) that if your cable hanger is very
    close to the stem and would result in a sharp bend, you can often ease the angle the housign has to
    make by routing the housing *over* the stem and down to the cable hanger on the other side. i
    discovered this when i put a cross lever on my front brake a year back. in that case it was pretty
    much imposible to do otherwise. but it has also mitigated the housing angle on a normal bar setup.

    this latter solution looks much nicer than the former. it would seem that the two could be
    combined. a curved tube could easily be made to accept a barrel adjuster. maybe its the next
    problem solvers product?

    just a coupla' thoguhts.

    cheers, anthony

  6. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    No, I think what he's referring to is a cable hanger, for use with cantilever brakes, that accepts
    the brake housing at some angle other than verticle. It is often difficult with hangers that sit
    rather close to the bars, to achieve a graceful bend in the brake housing such that it ends up in
    alignment with the hanger. A 45 degree hanger/barrel adjuster is more realistic, and would IMHO be
    very useful.

    news:[email protected]...