Right arm pain

Pat S

Jul 13, 2006
I had my frame custom fit for me-- a Calfee Tetra Custom, that is a 49 x 49 (yes, I am short at 5'3") and despite the custom fit and set up, I begin to suffer from unusual tightness in my right arm when riding more than 20- 25 miles. This doesn't occur at all with my left arm. The pain is right above the elbow. Sometimes the tightness is pretty painful. The pain goes away with stretching, whereI must take a break to stretch it. This usually helps.

I try to keep my shoulders and arms relaxed.

I find it strange the the tightness is on one arm, although I of course do the majority of my braking and shifting on this arm and perhaps this is contributing to the pain.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Pat S

Pat S said:
I had my frame custom fit for me-- a Calfee Tetra Custom, that is a 49 x 49 (yes, I am short at 5'3") and despite the custom fit and set up, I begin to suffer from unusual tightness in my right arm when riding more than 20- 25 miles. This doesn't occur at all with my left arm. The pain is right above the elbow. Sometimes the tightness is pretty painful. The pain goes away with stretching, whereI must take a break to stretch it. This usually helps.

I try to keep my shoulders and arms relaxed.

I find it strange the the tightness is on one arm, although I of course do the majority of my braking and shifting on this arm and perhaps this is contributing to the pain.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Pat S
You probably also keep this hand on the shifters more, and take your other hand off. I have a similar problem with my left hand...I rarely take my left hand off the hoods/drops but take my right hand off frequently. Therefore my left goes numb earlier.

One question - is the pain above the elbow on the triceps or biceps (back or front of the arm). If your triceps are getting sore then either your reach is too long or you are getting used to a longer reach.

Pat S said:
Hi

The pain is just above the elbow in the triceps--not biceps.

Pat
OK, then your reach is either too long or it is longer than before and will take some time getting used to . I had a similar problem when I got a new frameset - I had been using one that was too small and when I switched to a proper fit my triceps would get a bit sore as they were being 'stretched'. All was fine within a couple of weeks and enjoy the better fit.