right bike for levee run?

• Thread starter Dilbert Firesto
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dilbert Firesto

just wondering about this.

I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the westbank.

however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the ferry terminal) and the
other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or shell which ever material it got filled with.
there is a project in the works that is supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail. part of
it is completed, the rest is in planning stages by the COE.

I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an appropriate bike to use becauses
of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be better for this type of ride?

would appreciate any comments on this.

In article <[email protected]>, scanb31@*no_spam*I- 55*no_spam*.com says...
> just wondering about this.
>
> I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the westbank.
>
> however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the ferry terminal) and the
> other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or shell which ever material it got filled
> with. there is a project in the works that is supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail.
> part of it is completed, the rest is in planning stages by the COE.
>
> I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an appropriate bike to use
> becauses of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be better for this type of ride?

With bigger tires, gravel is no problem on a road bike.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

A road bike with larger tires is OK on gravel, but a MTB may be better is the gravel is
large or deep.

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, scanb31@*no_spam*I- 55*no_spam*.com says...
> > just wondering about this.
> >
> > I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the
westbank.
> >
> > however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the
ferry
> > terminal) and the other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or
shell
> > which ever material it got filled with. there is a project in the works
that is
> > supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail. part of it is
completed,
> > the rest is in planning stages by the COE.
> >
> > I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an
appropriate
> > bike to use becauses of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be
better for
> > this type of ride?
>
> With bigger tires, gravel is no problem on a road bike.
>
>
> --
> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
> morning".
>
> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:12:09 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> from
Datasync wrote:

>just wondering about this.
>
>I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the westbank.
>
>however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the ferry terminal) and the
>other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or shell which ever material it got filled
>with. there is a project in the works that is supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail.
>part of it is completed, the rest is in planning stages by the COE.
>
>I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an appropriate bike to use
>becauses of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be better for this type of ride?
>
>would appreciate any comments on this.

First off, as a fellow Louisianan, I have to tell you that riding on the levee in many places is
technically trespassing on state property and you can be caught and arrested. I have been caught
doing that before, but just let off with a warning. I'd imagine the levee cops would frown on repeat
offenders, though.

However, getting caught is fairly rare, and I still ride on the levees here occasionally. I ride
either the road bike I've set up with bomber rims and big tires or my ATB. It's fun. I think the
thing you want is wider tires than on a regular road bike. Maybe instead of another bike, you could
just get another set of rims and tires.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Is it clean in other dimensions?
6:12:39 PM 4 June 2003

um, not sure tho, gravel size isn't very uniform. I think they are somewhere between large & small.

not sure how deep tho, maybe 2-3"

Raymo853 wrote:
> A road bike with larger tires is OK on gravel, but a MTB may be better is the gravel is large
> or deep.
>
> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, scanb31@*no_spam*I- 55*no_spam*.com says...
>>
>>> just wondering about this.
>>>
>>> I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the
>
> westbank.
>
>>> however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the
>
> ferry
>
>>> terminal) and the other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or
>
> shell
>
>>> which ever material it got filled with. there is a project in the works
>
> that is
>
>>> supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail. part of it is
>
> completed,
>
>>> the rest is in planning stages by the COE.
>>>
>>> I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an
>
> appropriate
>
>>> bike to use becauses of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be
>
> better for
>
>>> this type of ride?
>>
>> With bigger tires, gravel is no problem on a road bike.
>>
>>
>> -- David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
>> morning".
>>
>> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.
>

Kevan Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:12:09 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> from
> Datasync wrote:
>
>
>>just wondering about this.
>>
>>I'm planning on riding the bike on the levee in the N.O. area in the westbank.
>>
>>however, part of the levee system is paved with concrete (this is by the ferry terminal) and the
>>other part of the levee system is paved with gravel or shell which ever material it got filled
>>with. there is a project in the works that is supposed to turn the levee system into a bike trail.
>>part of it is completed, the rest is in planning stages by the COE.
>>
>>I have a 10 speed street bike, but somehow I don't think this is an appropriate bike to use
>>becauses of the gravel issue. Would a mountain bike be better for this type of ride?
>>
>>would appreciate any comments on this.
>
>
> First off, as a fellow Louisianan, I have to tell you that riding on the levee in many places is
> technically trespassing on state property and you can be caught and arrested. I have been caught
> doing that before, but just let off with a warning. I'd imagine the levee cops would frown on
> repeat offenders, though.
>
> However, getting caught is fairly rare, and I still ride on the levees here occasionally. I ride
> either the road bike I've set up with bomber rims and big tires or my ATB. It's fun. I think the
> thing you want is wider tires than on a regular road bike. Maybe instead of another bike, you
> could just get another set of rims and tires.

Yeah, you're right about the technicality. :) I see people running on the levee all the time.

Err.. Changing wheels of a different type doesn't exactly appeal to me.. :(

what's ATB?

where are you from? and are you familiar with the westbank levee bike trail project I mentioned?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:46:38 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> from
Datasync wrote:

>what's ATB?

All Terrain Bike -- basically an MTB set up for paved riding but still off-road capable.

>where are you from? and are you familiar with the westbank levee bike trail project I mentioned?

I'm from Shreveport. Different levee system on a different river. I haven't ridden down south except
around the Vieux Carre and the Garden District.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Yow! I want my nose in lights!
11:47:42 PM 4 June 2003

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:13:06 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>First off, as a fellow Louisianan, I have to tell you that riding on the levee in many places is
>technically trespassing on state property and you can be caught and arrested.

That sux. The perimeter dykes for the city of Richmond, BC are bike trails, actually, FMUPs. Eighty
kilometers of trails.
--
zk

Kevan Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:46:38 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> from
> Datasync wrote:
>
>
>>what's ATB?
>
>
> All Terrain Bike -- basically an MTB set up for paved riding but still off-road capable.
>
>
>>where are you from? and are you familiar with the westbank levee bike trail project I mentioned?
>
>
> I'm from Shreveport. Different levee system on a different river. I haven't ridden down south
> except around the Vieux Carre and the Garden District.

must be nice out there in Shreveport! eh.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:13:06 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
> <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>
>>First off, as a fellow Louisianan, I have to tell you that riding on the levee in many places is
>>technically trespassing on state property and you can be caught and arrested.
>
>
> That sux.

not necessarily in that order... :) its only a technicallity. it is also public land in some
respects. perhaps it is different with certain levees. I do understand that there are parts of
levees that are privately owned .

> The perimeter dykes for the city of Richmond, BC are bike trails, actually, FMUPs. Eighty
> kilometers of trails.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:00:54 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>That sux. The perimeter dykes for the city of Richmond, BC are bike trails, actually, FMUPs. Eighty
>kilometers of trails.

The whole levee system here isn't closed to the public, just most of it. For the most part it's to
prevent damage by hunters and anglers. And even though it's technically against the law to trespass
on the levee, it's a rarely enforced law, so everyone does it anyway. I think you'll only get
stopped if you are doing damage or something else illegal like dumping trash or growing pot. When I
was stopped, it was because the levee was behind a neighborhood that was having a spate of
burglaries and the cops thought I might be the burglar.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace hubub, hubub, HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub,
HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub.
12:59:48 PM 5 June 2003

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:11:35 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> from
Datasync wrote:

>must be nice out there in Shreveport! eh.

Nice roads. Nice trails. Terrible cagers and fundamentalist rednecks.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have accepted Provolone into my life!
1:01:48 PM 5 June 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.