Right hand controls front brakes now on RANS Rocket.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alpha Beta, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    The front brake on my Rocket provides the best braking force and never skids. The rear brake uses
    causes a skids quite easily. This is probably because of my weight distribution due to my size.
    Sometime if I am braking the rear only on a turn and the wheel skids, I feel the bike slipping from
    underneath me.

    I swapped the brake levers so that the right hand brakes the front wheels and the left hand brakes
    the rear wheel. Now I am free to brake with a lot of force and signal with my left hand with out
    fear of skidding. I rarely have to use the rear brake.

    Tags:

  2. Morgan Jones

    Morgan Jones Guest

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The front brake on my Rocket provides the best braking force and never skids. The rear brake uses
    > causes a skids quite easily. This is probably because of my weight distribution due to my size.
    > Sometime if I am braking the rear only on a turn and the wheel skids, I feel the bike slipping
    > from underneath me.
    >
    > I swapped the brake levers so that the right hand brakes the front wheels and the left hand brakes
    > the rear wheel. Now I am free to brake with a lot of force and signal with my left hand with out
    > fear of skidding. I rarely have to use the rear brake.

    That brings up an interesting point. Upright bikes are (arguably wrongly) designed with the front
    brake on the left (supposedly weaker) hand so that you don't slam on the brake and go over the front
    wheel. That, of course, doesn't make sense on a recumbent where you couldn't go over the front wheel
    it you tried.

    Perhaps we should all be re-routing our brakes.

    OTOH, it is nice to fiddle with a map or water bottle knowing that my left hand is on the
    front brake.

    Morgan.

  3. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Never had a problem with the brake setup the usual way (left/front and right/rear) on my DFs or
    recumbent. I can signal with my left and still use my right to slow the bike down for the turn/stop.
    If I need to jam the barkes on forget signaling, both hands are on the brakes. I also think that at
    some point the amount of pressure you apply doesn't matter. Once the pads have made the appropriate
    contact the pressure shouldn't matter. The argument I always heard for switching was that it
    followed motorcycle setups for those who drive motorcycles.

  4. Morgan Jones wrote:

    > That brings up an interesting point. Upright bikes are (arguably wrongly) designed with the front
    > brake on the left (supposedly weaker) hand so that you don't slam on the brake and go over the
    > front wheel.

    Not here they're not. In fact, it is technically illegal for a British bike shop to sell, or even
    display, a bike set up thus, a fact which apparently has escaped certain US-based manufacturers,
    especially the one beginning with "S" and ending in "d". The theory which I have heard is that you
    want to be able to signal a turn which takes you across the oncoming traffic while braking the
    *rear* wheel, as if the rear wheel locks, the bike is still controllable, whereas a mishap to the
    front wheel is more likely to land you on your head in the middle of the road and get run over by an
    oncoming bus. Ergo in the UK, the left hand operates the rear brake while in continental Europe and
    the US, it's the right hand.

    Oddly enough, Japanese[1] component manufacturers have the cable entering the *right* side of their
    front linear pull brakes, requiring a much more torturous cable route from a right-side lever...

    1 - where they also drive on the left

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/