Right hand Shimano shifter sometimes will not shift

flea77

Jun 5, 2003
2003 Shimano Ultegra STI, 9 speed, low use, about 4,000 miles total

Did not ride the bike for several years but it was kept inside in the air conditioning at all times.

Sometimes when I try to downshift the rear gears the right shifter acts like it does not "catch". You swing it to the left and it moves with no resistance and does nothing. Releasing it and letting it snap back to the right then trying again will almost always work.

When it does shift, it shifts well. It just acts like something in the hood is sticking.

I am not much at bike repairs so I thought I would ask before I tore into something that was over my head. Is this something I should attempt or take into a real mechanic? Is there any documentation to these things that I can use to get into them and try to clean/lube/whatever them?

Thanks in advance.

Allan

First, check your derailleur shift cable to make certain it's sliding freely. Lubricate it. While the cable is loose and disconnected from the rear derailleur, lube the derailleur and check to see that it moves freely over its range of travel.

It's possible the grease has dried up or gummed up inside the shift lever and causing one of the thirty throw-away components inside to stick, instead of sliding, rotating or ratcheting as it should.

Pull up or remove the rubber hood carefully so as not to tear it...it will be dried out also. Working silicone into it may restore some flexibility to the hood.

Once the index mechanism is somewhat exposed, shoot some WD-40 or light aerosol spray oil into the mechanism while someone turns the pedals and you work the shifter up and down the cassette range. If that frees up anything that might have been sticking...buy a lottery ticket pronto! Then, after wiping off any dripping oil still running out of the shifter...shoot some aerosol lithium grease back into the shifter or use a Q-Tip stick to dab some onto anything that looks like grease would do it good.

You didn't say how long the bike has been sitting, but it's going to be good idea to inspect and service all the bearings on the bike, as the grease and oil in they is likely in need of replacement.

Worst case scenario, you're cleared for takeoff to that new 11-speed Dura-Ace group upgrade!

Good luck.

THE BAD NEWS: Looks like I will not be getting the new Dura Ace 11 speed group...

THE GOOD NEWS: Everything went well and this morning's ride produced no problems at all. Shifts were back to where they should be, quick and smooth. I still have a little adjusting to do to the front derailleur but that is very minor.

To answer your other question, the bike had been sitting for around six years or so. It was cleaned and lubed before sitting however. Everything now works as expected and the bike rides great. The hoods were in good shape and still pliable however I went ahead and rubbed them down with silicone just to be on the safe side. Pulling the rubber hoods up really didn't do much as far as gaining access to anything. Most of what I could shoot up in there came from the side of the hoods as I worked them.

Thanks for the assist! Now to start putting some serious miles on it.

Allan