Right of way

Arpit

Guest
Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main road,
someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on
the bike path?

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:01:16 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:

>Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main road,
>someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on
>the bike path?

If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to give way rather than who has
the right of way. In fact, I understand that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone
has any right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to the vehicle coming out
of a side street while I was riding on a bike path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person
driving/riding the vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.

Regards, Richard.

Richard Sherratt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:01:16 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main
> >road, someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the
> >road, not on the bike path?
>
> If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to give way rather than who has
> the right of way. In fact, I understand that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone
> has any right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to the vehicle coming
> out of a side street while I was riding on a bike path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person
> driving/riding the vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.
>
> Regards, Richard.

Any vehicle that faces a give way sign has to give way to all traffic before proceeding into the
intersection. That includes cyclists riding across the side streets. Many bike paths actually have
give way signs at road crossings, and I think it is safe to assume that the cyclist should give way
when there is no sign present.

Ritch