Right of way

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Arpit, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main road,
    someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on
    the bike path?

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:01:16 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main road,
    >someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on
    >the bike path?

    If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to give way rather than who has
    the right of way. In fact, I understand that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone
    has any right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to the vehicle coming out
    of a side street while I was riding on a bike path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person
    driving/riding the vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.

    Regards, Richard.

  3. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    Richard Sherratt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:01:16 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path (not lane) along a main
    > >road, someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming off a sidde street to the main road, but on the
    > >road, not on the bike path?
    >
    > If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to give way rather than who has
    > the right of way. In fact, I understand that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone
    > has any right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to the vehicle coming
    > out of a side street while I was riding on a bike path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person
    > driving/riding the vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.
    >
    > Regards, Richard.

    Any vehicle that faces a give way sign has to give way to all traffic before proceeding into the
    intersection. That includes cyclists riding across the side streets. Many bike paths actually have
    give way signs at road crossings, and I think it is safe to assume that the cyclist should give way
    when there is no sign present.

    Ritch