Right or left?

HowardSteele

Mar 7, 2006
I came screaming down the gravle track yesterday,narowlly missing the guys coming up on their right hand side of the road,why because their budies were on the left,now my question is,do the countries that drive on the right hand side of the road in their cars do so,when cycling?I kinda thought the left was internationally accepted,maybe its just an exprssion of their political persuation,
Left or right?
Howard

The answer is yes. In the USA where cars are required to ride on the right side of the road, bicycles do the same. Bicycles are required to obey the same laws as motor vehicles. Like all slower vehicles they are required to stay on the extreme right side of the road except when making a left hand turn.

I find that on the roads or public accesways, cylists obey the stick to one side up and the other on the way down, its weird as soon as you get off road, (roads without motor vehicles) they just seem to disregard courtesy, I’m not saying that its possible on all off road tracks to do so sometimes the road surface is bad and you have a line of preference.

We have a new phenomena here,guys that can, (its no easy feat,) riding up the single track.As its a single track and designed for bikes to come down, it sort of spoils it for the guy that is being rewarded with a fast downhill rush after the slog of getting to the top.

HowardSteele said:
I find that on the roads or public accesways, cylists obey the stick to one side up and the other on the way down, its weird as soon as you get off road, (roads without motor vehicles) they just seem to disregard courtesy, I’m not saying that its possible on all off road tracks to do so sometimes the road surface is bad and you have a line of preference.

We have a new phenomena here,guys that can, (its no easy feat,) riding up the single track.As its a single track and designed for bikes to come down, it sort of spoils it for the guy that is being rewarded with a fast downhill rush after the slog of getting to the top.
The rider going uphill has right of way. Always. The rider going down the hill should have the control to give way to the whoever is coming up the hill. Having to stop while coming down a hill is a lot less annoying than stopping on a steep section while climbing - once you're stopped you'll be walking 'til the next flat bit.

Robert Gardner said:
The answer is yes. In the USA where cars are required to ride on the right side of the road, bicycles do the same. Bicycles are required to obey the same laws as motor vehicles. Like all slower vehicles they are required to stay on the extreme right side of the road except when making a left hand turn.
Well.................The bike laws are a state-by-state issue. Were I live bikes are NOT required to follow all automobile laws. They recently tried to pass that BS but it was voted down.

As far as right or left. yes I think common sense would tell you to stay on your side (right or left)

Robert Gardner said:
I agree, I have rode bikes in USA and Europe

I'd agree with Someguy on the hill thing, but also think that riders will also follow a basic (driving) instinct and give way on whichever side they would when driving.
Driven in UK, ridden in Spain, I'm confused.:confused: