Riis says Ulrich can still join team!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Keith, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

  2. Mackintosh

    Mackintosh Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]s1.news.adelphia.net...

    > "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=11181 Talk about being forgiving!
    >

    > I don't read French, but I'll assume the thread title is correct.
    >
    > There really is no substitute for talent at the very top level is there?
    >
    > Imagine where J. Ullrich and F. Vandenbroucke would be if they had average talent. Driving a
    > tractor? Washing cars?

    wasting their time on RBR?

  3. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Translation as follows--

    The Ullrich affair isn't over yet: with Coast being censured by the UCI for its financial problems,
    CSC would be ready to enter into new talks with the former tour winner.

    CSC's Directeur Sportif, Bjarne Riis, said in an interview with the Danish newspaper BT that he
    would still be interested in Ullrich and would be willing to welcome back into his old team if Coast
    can't find a way out of its financial problems.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. "Mackintosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=11181 Talk about being forgiving!
    > >

    > > I don't read French, but I'll assume the thread title is correct.
    > >
    > > There really is no substitute for talent at the very top level is there?
    > >
    > > Imagine where J. Ullrich and F. Vandenbroucke would be if they had
    average
    > > talent. Driving a tractor? Washing cars?
    > >

    > wasting their time on RBR?

    Maybe in the case of VdB. Ullrich doesn't like bike racing enough to read rbr.

  5. Jx

    Jx Guest

    "Mackintosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > wasting their time on RBR?

    I've lurked RBR for a long time and that's about as low as it gets.

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > I don't read French, but I'll assume the thread title is correct.
    >
    > There really is no substitute for talent at the very top level is there?
    >
    > Imagine where J. Ullrich and F. Vandenbroucke would be if they had average talent. Driving a
    > tractor? Washing cars?

    President of The United States? Dave

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I don't read French, but I'll assume the thread title is correct.
    > >
    > > There really is no substitute for talent at the very top level is there?
    > >
    > > Imagine where J. Ullrich and F. Vandenbroucke would be if they had average talent. Driving a
    > > tractor? Washing cars?
    >

    > President of The United States? Dave

    Sec of defense?

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
    wrote in
    > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I don't read French, but I'll assume the thread title is
    correct.

    > > > There really is no substitute for talent at the very top level
    is there?

    > > > Imagine where J. Ullrich and F. Vandenbroucke would be if they
    had average
    > > > talent. Driving a tractor? Washing cars?
    > >

    > > President of The United States? Dave
    >
    > Sec of defense?

    Or worst of all Secretary of State?

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 23:35:12 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, "Dave" <[email protected]ocal.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
    >wrote in
    >> message
    >> > news:[email protected]...

    >correct.

    >is there?

    >had average
    >> >

    >> > President of The United States? Dave
    >>
    >> Sec of defense?
    >
    >Or worst of all Secretary of State?

    ballot stuffer in Florida?

  10. Jay Tegeder

    Jay Tegeder Guest

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > correct.

    > is there?

    > had average
    > > >

    > > > President of The United States? Dave
    > >
    > > Sec of defense?
    >
    > Or worst of all Secretary of State?

    Senate Democratic Minority Leader?

    Left Wing Radio answer to Rush?

    Debate Moderator between Al Sharpton, Dick Gephardt, John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Carol Moseley Brown,
    Gov Dean, John Edwards?

    Ambulance Chaser like John Edwards?

    North Korea Appeaser like Clinton?

    Drive into a swamp, leave your girlfriend in the car and run home to your wife like Ted Kennedy?

  11. "Jay Tegeder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected].earthlink.net>...
    > > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > correct.

    > > is there?

    > > had average

    > > > Sec of defense?
    > >
    > > Or worst of all Secretary of State?
    >
    > Senate Democratic Minority Leader?
    >
    > Left Wing Radio answer to Rush?
    >
    > Debate Moderator between Al Sharpton, Dick Gephardt, John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Carol Moseley
    > Brown, Gov Dean, John Edwards?
    >
    > Ambulance Chaser like John Edwards?
    >
    > North Korea Appeaser like Clinton?

    Speaking of North Korea appeasing - Clinton had a deal negotiated with NK where they would shut down
    the plutonium processing reactor and we would ship them heavy fuel oil.

    W. Bush stopped the shipments some months ago. No problem with that except that he can't do
    anything about NK starting up the plutonium processing again because the military is tied up in
    The Middle East.

    So North Korea is making plutonium and we can't do anything. Nice job W. Whoever was advising him on
    that move should be axed. Stopping the shipments and playing hardball with NK should have waited
    until we had something to pl ay with (war in Iraq being over).

  12. Jay Tegeder

    Jay Tegeder Guest

    So let me get this straight... Caving in to blackmail from North Korea is a good thing? Your totally
    wrong the assumption that "we" can't do anything about North Korea's plutonium. We just moved some
    long range bombers into the area. You have to realize that Bush isn't that concerned with North
    Korea at this time. They've told us what they have and that they have restarted thier nuclear
    program. It's countries like Iraq that hide their missles and stockpiles of chemical weapons that W
    has a problem with. Anyway, the U.S. could take out NK in about 1 day. WE don't need to do that
    though because China can take out NK in 1 day too. NK is more of a threat to China than to the U.S.
    Unlike Clinton, Bush will tell NK to stop the nuc program. If they want economic aid, they can start
    dismantling their totalitarian regime.

    "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<

    > Speaking of North Korea appeasing - Clinton had a deal negotiated with NK where they would shut
    > down the plutonium processing reactor and we would ship them heavy fuel oil.
    >
    > W. Bush stopped the shipments some months ago. No problem with that except that he can't do
    > anything about NK starting up the plutonium processing again because the military is tied up in
    > The Middle East.
    >
    > So North Korea is making plutonium and we can't do anything. Nice job W. Whoever was advising him
    > on that move should be axed. Stopping the shipments and playing hardball with NK should have
    > waited until we had something to pl ay with (war in Iraq being over).

  13. Le Gopheur

    Le Gopheur Guest

    On 10 Mar 2003 16:45:29 -0800, [email protected] (Jay Tegeder) wrote:

    >So let me get this straight... Caving in to blackmail from North Korea is a good thing? Your
    >totally wrong the assumption that "we" can't do anything about North Korea's plutonium. We just
    >moved some long range bombers into the area. You have to realize that Bush isn't that concerned
    >with North Korea at this time. They've told us what they have and that they have restarted thier
    >nuclear program. It's countries like Iraq that hide their missles and stockpiles of chemical
    >weapons that W has a problem with. Anyway, the U.S. could take out NK in about 1 day. WE don't need
    >to do that though because China can take out NK in 1 day too. NK is more of a threat to China than
    >to the U.S. Unlike Clinton, Bush will tell NK to stop the nuc program. If they want economic aid,
    >they can start dismantling their totalitarian regime.

    < not really a direct response to jay's post above, it triggered my thoughts on the whole
    ra-ra-go-USA-blow'em-up mentality >

    ah yes. The good ole USA. The world's biggest neighborhood bully. We have more weapons and firepower
    than 80% of the nations combined......

    ...so anytime someone else would like to acquire equal military fire power, or at least have SOME
    weapons in their arsenal to make it a fair fight, it's our job to crush and stop them immediately,
    right? after all, we are the defenders of freedom, and only use military force when we have
    exhausted all other peaceful means first, right?

    We're like the 16 year old high school dropout bully and 5 of his pals, all with handguns and
    knives, who pick a fight with a lone 5th grader holding a stick in his hand. anyone ever think that
    maybe the 5th grader would like to have a weapon to defend himself?

    let me pose this hypothetical question:

    If Iraq and NK had the same military firepower as USA currently has, with the possibility to kill
    american civilians here in this country while they "smart bomb" us, do you think our current
    military buildup for a war in other regions of the world would be a good idea?

    probably not, right? diplomacy would be a MUCH smarter choice, in that case, right?

    so why not use that same policy of diplomacy, right now? or does our foreign policy change depending
    on how easy it is to kick a country's ass? i.e. how helpless they are.

    gopher <-- slipping into his flameproof red, white & blue lycra skinsuit to blend in with all the
    ra-ra patriots.

    BTW, for the price of just one AGM-130 (a so-called "smart" bomb that costs about half a million
    dollars ) we could hire and pay almost 13 elementary school teacher's salaries for an entire year.

  14. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    Anybody heard any word about Green Mtn Stage Race? Is it a go?

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  15. "Jay Tegeder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So let me get this straight... Caving in to blackmail from North Korea is a good thing?

    No, W. Bush should have waited until after he was finished w/ Iraq.

    By the time we are done there, N. Korea may have a plutonium bomb (megaton range).

    Stupid.

  16. Jay Tegeder

    Jay Tegeder Guest

    So, you're saying NK will have a megaton bomb in four days? Patience man, patience... You will
    find that things will progress rapidly... Stick to bike racing and let the professionals worry
    about international affairs. You wouldn't be free to state your opinion in Iraq. Plus, if you were
    a member of the Iraqi Olympic bike team and you didn't win a medal, Uday might have a few things
    for you...

    > "Jay Tegeder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So let me get this straight... Caving in to blackmail from North Korea is a good thing?
    >

    > No, W. Bush should have waited until after he was finished w/ Iraq.
    >
    > By the time we are done there, N. Korea may have a plutonium bomb (megaton range).
    >
    > Stupid.

  17. Jay Tegeder

    Jay Tegeder Guest

    Oh, you have such a grandiose view of how the World should work don't you. Well, the World is a
    dangerous place my friend. W's job is to protect the U.S. There is only a rah rah USA mentality in
    your mind. No one wants to go to war. We're talking about the security of the USA. Everything
    changed after 9/11. Do you want your kids to live in a World of constant threat levels? Orange one
    day, yellow the next? The fact is, W is talking about rougue nations like Iraq, North Korea and
    Iran. Intersting how Iran is fast approaching nuke bomb capability. Keep living in your little
    dreamland...

    le gopheur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 10 Mar 2003 16:45:29 -0800, [email protected] (Jay Tegeder) wrote:
    >
    > >So let me get this straight... Caving in to blackmail from North Korea is a good thing? Your
    > >totally wrong the assumption that "we" can't do anything about North Korea's plutonium. We just
    > >moved some long range bombers into the area. You have to realize that Bush isn't that concerned
    > >with North Korea at this time. They've told us what they have and that they have restarted thier
    > >nuclear program. It's countries like Iraq that hide their missles and stockpiles of chemical
    > >weapons that W has a problem with. Anyway, the U.S. could take out NK in about 1 day. WE don't
    > >need to do that though because China can take out NK in 1 day too. NK is more of a threat to
    > >China than to the U.S. Unlike Clinton, Bush will tell NK to stop the nuc program. If they want
    > >economic aid, they can start dismantling their totalitarian regime.
    >
    > < not really a direct response to jay's post above, it triggered my thoughts on the whole
    > ra-ra-go-USA-blow'em-up mentality >
    >
    > ah yes. The good ole USA. The world's biggest neighborhood bully. We have more weapons and
    > firepower than 80% of the nations combined......
    >
    > ...so anytime someone else would like to acquire equal military fire power, or at least have SOME
    > weapons in their arsenal to make it a fair fight, it's our job to crush and stop them immediately,
    > right? after all, we are the defenders of freedom, and only use military force when we have
    > exhausted all other peaceful means first, right?
    >
    > We're like the 16 year old high school dropout bully and 5 of his pals, all with handguns and
    > knives, who pick a fight with a lone 5th grader holding a stick in his hand. anyone ever think
    > that maybe the 5th grader would like to have a weapon to defend himself?
    >
    > let me pose this hypothetical question:
    >
    > If Iraq and NK had the same military firepower as USA currently has, with the possibility to kill
    > american civilians here in this country while they "smart bomb" us, do you think our current
    > military buildup for a war in other regions of the world would be a good idea?
    >
    > probably not, right? diplomacy would be a MUCH smarter choice, in that case, right?
    >
    > so why not use that same policy of diplomacy, right now? or does our foreign policy change
    > depending on how easy it is to kick a country's ass? i.e. how helpless they are.
    >

    > gopher <-- slipping into his flameproof red, white & blue lycra skinsuit to blend in with all the
    > ra-ra patriots.
    >
    > BTW, for the price of just one AGM-130 (a so-called "smart" bomb that costs about half a million
    > dollars ) we could hire and pay almost 13 elementary school teacher's salaries for an entire year.

  18. "Jay Tegeder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So, you're saying NK will have a megaton bomb in four days? Patience man, patience... You will
    > find that things will progress rapidly...

    It is stupid.

    Why not wait until the forces tied up in the Middle East are freed up before stopping heavy fuel oil
    shipments (provoking N. Korea to start up the reactor)?

    > Stick to bike racing and let the professionals worry about international affairs.

    Professionals such as yourself?

    That type of sentiment would be more at home in the type of totalitarian regime we seek to depose
    (Saddam Hussein).

    >You wouldn't be free to state your opinion in Iraq. Plus, if you were a member of the Iraqi Olympic
    >bike team and you didn't win a medal, Uday might have a few things for you...

    Not even Bush Sr. is comfortable with the way his son is handling things.

  19. Le Gopheur

    Le Gopheur Guest

    On 11 Mar 2003 04:45:46 -0800, [email protected] (Jay Tegeder) wrote:

    thanks jay, you have confirmed everything that i said in my last post....

    >W's job is to protect the U.S.
    funny that the UN Security Council (i.e. the REST of the world) doesn't agree with his methods for
    doing so. just the rah-rah crowd actually thinks what he is doing is helping us in the long run.

    >No one wants to go to war.
    then why the military build up in the mid east and now another small "token" one near NK? we just
    doing that to "scare" them into backing down? smells like war preparations to me. ( granted the
    build up near NK, isn't that big yet)

    > Do you want your kids to live in a World of constant threat levels? Orange one day, yellow the
    > next? The fact is, W is talking about rogue nations like Iraq, North Korea and Iran.

    the USA's "might-makes-right-we-are-the-world's-bully" policies are THE reason for those orange and
    yellow alerts you mentioned. why in the hell do you think those "rogue" nations hate us so much and
    want to cause us harm? because our olympic basketball team beats them?

    >Interesting how Iran is fast approaching nuke bomb capability.

    yep, as covered in my last post and snipped by you in this one. i'll repost it again for you to
    ponder ---

    "...so anytime someone else would like to acquire equal military fire power, or at least have SOME
    weapons in their arsenal to make it a fair fight, it's our job to crush and stop them immediately,
    right? after all, we are the defenders of freedom, and only use military force when we have
    exhausted all other peaceful means first, right?"

    >Keep living in your little dreamland...
    not so sure who's living in a dreamland here. the majority of the world seems to think this war is
    not needed, except for the rah-rahs.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - the problem is that the
    "rah-rah" USA crowd is much too busy worrying about the symptoms
    (current situation) to step back and see the cause of why those
    countries hate the USA in the first place, and "the cause" was the
    point of my original post. (re-read it if you missed
    it)

    simple cause and effect. USA bullies. rouge nations hate. USA bullies some more to keep them in
    line. rogue nations hate us some more. it's a never ending spiral.

    and the only way to end such a spiral is when the bully swallows his pride, and attempts to
    compromise with the little guy. I can assure you that the little guy getting his ass kicked sure as
    hell isn't EVER going initiate this process.

    to sum it up. It's time for the USA to stop the bullying and posturing and military build up B.S.,
    and start finding a mature way, that the rest of the world agrees with, to solve these problems.

    gopher