Rim and Tire question

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Hello,

I have a 2008, Trek 1.2.
The bike came with Bontrager 700 x 25 tires. My question is, if I buy new 700 x 23 tires, would those fit on the rim? The rim brand is Alexrims AT450.

I am already using 700 x 23 tubes inside the 700 x 25 tires with no problem. Instead of inflate them to the recommended 100 psi, I just put a little more.

thanks

sopas said:
I am already using 700 x 23 tubes inside the 700 x 25 tires with no problem. Instead of inflate them to the recommended 100 psi, I just put a little more.
Why?

Your tire choice dictates the maximum psi, not your tube. I would not exceed 100 psi. Depending on your weight and terrain, I might even go lower.

Scotty_Dog said:
Why?

Your tire choice dictates the maximum psi, not your tube. I would not exceed 100 psi. Depending on your weight and terrain, I might even go lower.
Oh, I see. So, the inner tube has nothing to do with the recommended pressure at all, is that right?

I weight 75 kg, and I use 32-spoke wheels.

Yep, the tube is supported by the tyre, if you try to inflate a tube ouside a tyre it will go bang way before 100psi (never tried it mind).

Going down to 23's will be fine, are you sure you want to though? Usually people go up a bit in winter to soften the harsher roads and then put the skinnies on in summer for racing. Or mayby thats just me... I feel a bit safer with more rubber on the road in winter.

AngryPenguin said:
Yep, the tube is supported by the tyre, if you try to inflate a tube ouside a tyre it will go bang way before 100psi (never tried it mind).

Going down to 23's will be fine, are you sure you want to though? Usually people go up a bit in winter to soften the harsher roads and then put the skinnies on in summer for racing. Or mayby thats just me... I feel a bit safer with more rubber on the road in winter.
I dont plan to get 23's yet, since my bike is only 3 months old. So I will use the 25's until they are spent and then I will see if I get a new pair, 23's maybe. I don't participate in races, I just practice cycling for fun and to get in shape, so I guess I am doing OK with the 25's.

thanks