Rim Brake Pads + Wet Weather

athoma00

May 14, 2004
I commute to work on my Hybrid and am trying to find some brake pads which don't disintegrate too much when they get wet. The ones I have are just standard black colour no brand. When wet the wear is greatly accelerated, but the main problem is the way the residue from this wear distributes itself all over the rim and tyres. This makes changing a flat tyre into a very grubby experience, with dirty black marks completely all over my hands and where ever else i.e. clothes etc. I counteract this by regularly removing each wheel and washing it in a parts washer and then steam cleaning it, but if I could find some better quality brake pads which didn't do this so much, I could get longer between washes.
I'm aware that you can buy different grades of brake pads specifically for wet conditions, but for all I know they may be worse or better from this point of view, as most people only consider the bottom line, i.e. does it stop the bike. The bike stops OK now, it's just messy.
So what I'm asking is :
Has anyone else solved this particular problem and how?
Can anyone tell me if special Wet Condition Brake Pads are better or worse in this regard?

Cheers ;)

athoma00 said:
I commute to work on my Hybrid and am trying to find some brake pads which don't disintegrate too much when they get wet. The ones I have are just standard black colour no brand. When wet the wear is greatly accelerated, but the main problem is the way the residue from this wear distributes itself all over the rim and tyres. This makes changing a flat tyre into a very grubby experience, with dirty black marks completely all over my hands and where ever else i.e. clothes etc. I counteract this by regularly removing each wheel and washing it in a parts washer and then steam cleaning it, but if I could find some better quality brake pads which didn't do this so much, I could get longer between washes.
I'm aware that you can buy different grades of brake pads specifically for wet conditions, but for all I know they may be worse or better from this point of view, as most people only consider the bottom line, i.e. does it stop the bike. The bike stops OK now, it's just messy.
So what I'm asking is :
Has anyone else solved this particular problem and how?
Can anyone tell me if special Wet Condition Brake Pads are better or worse in this regard?

Cheers ;)
Harder compound brake pads that don't wear as much are available, but you'll still get the black goo and your braking power will be reduced. Unfortunately, the black slime is unavoidable in life and you gotta live with it.

riding in the rain often can also chew the **** out of your rims, so I'd rather stick with what you have (the pads wearing rather than the rims), and not get sturdier pads.

just my 1.67 cents