Rim Break area

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Pace, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

So yesterday I was in my first crash. I went over the handlebars and now i have a fractured Humerus right at the shoulder joint. But the bike remained unscathed short of the brand new rear rim. It got some scars (not cracks) on the rim break area. I have been told use fine sand paper or to use a granite stone to re-surface the rim break area. What is the best way to do this? has anyone else done this?

Thanks ahead of time.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That sucks. Why did you decide to go over the bars?

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

'IF' the braking track scratches are shallow they can be carefully filed out by draw filing with a small mill file. Keep the file flat on the rim face! Remove as little material as possible. a 4" or 6" file is what I reach for.

After lightly filing, finish by removing file marks with a fine grit hone stone, moving the stone in the same circular path the brake pads would follow. I use 1/2" half-round (the flat face, of course) and the 1" sliver/taper stones from Norton.

If the scratches are very light, skip the file and got straight to work with the stone.

Clean the rim to remove any grit embedded in the aluminum.

I'm sorry to hear about your crash. Heal fast and get back on the bike ASAP! And go to the Harley shop and get yourself a Broken Wing patch to sew on your jersey...centered low on the middle pocket!

[​IMG]

4. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Was not my choice trust me. I rot into a rut due to the city decided to do road work and well something just stopped the front tireand i got to play superman for a sec

5. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Heh i already have the bike on the trainner and road it that way today

6. ambal

ambal Active Member

Heal fast bro!!! I've used fine sandpaper and a fine file (not sure if thats the right wording) to repair a rim surface before. It worked for me, but I have no idea if it's the recommended way to fix them. My wheels were just cheap training wheels, wouldn't do it on my racing wheels.