Rim choices. . .is it possible to build high end wheels anymore

salsa_usa

Aug 2, 2009
Specifically, I'm wanting to build nice aero wheels. Zipps are way to expensive. About the only other thing I've found it DT rims which are about 30 mm. Any other ideas. I know there are lots of nice wheelsets out there, but they cost to much for my tastes.

salsa_usa said:
Specifically, I'm wanting to build nice aero wheels. Zipps are way to expensive. About the only other thing I've found it DT rims which are about 30 mm. Any other ideas. I know there are lots of nice wheelsets out there, but they cost to much for my tastes.

If you want very aero/deep and light, they are going to have to be carbon and probably tubular(big money). You can find aero(about 30mm) aluminum in Velocity Deep V and using a lower spoke count rim/hub and using bladed or oval spokes, you can make an aero wheelset. Like a 16 spoke, radial front and 24 or 28 2 cross rear.

Velocity - Content Template

Peter@vecchios said:
If you want very aero/deep and light, they are going to have to be carbon and probably tubular(big money). You can find aero(about 30mm) aluminum in Velocity Deep V and using a lower spoke count rim/hub and using bladed or oval spokes, you can make an aero wheelset. Like a 16 spoke, radial front and 24 or 28 2 cross rear.

Velocity - Content Template

IRD Cadence Aero rims are a good option to consider.

UN-laced carbon fiber rims are available ... the indvidual price per rim is in the $400US range if my recollection is correct.

DTcat said:
IRD Cadence Aero rims are a good option to consider.

20 hole is the minimum drilling. I know 4 spokes don't mean that much but....

As for unlaced carbon rims. Yes, they are out there but for a decent one, more than $400 per rim but yeegads, $400 for a rim?? Yep, it will be lighter by about 200 grams but not sure those 400 grams per wheelset is worth the extra $650 or so.