Rim damaged by hanging bike on a hook?

Ken Lehner

Guest
A representative of a wheel manufacturer made the following public
comment regarding hanging their boutique wheel by a hook (with
attached bike):

"I have been thinking about this one for a while. Our
<brand_name_deleted> rim is designed to be very strong and
durable. The caveat being, the loads were anticipated coming
from the outside in on the rim. Hanging your bike will apply
a load from the inside out. I want to say it will be fine
but there are other variables. How much does the bike weigh,
how small is the surface area of the hook etc. You are
talking about carbon fiber so any kind of nick or crack
could become more serious. A guy who was just here told me
he hung his bike by the rim with Cosmic Carbones and the
hooks dug right into the rim? Those are fairings so it isnt
the same but bottom line I would advise against it. Try
hanging your bike by the sddle and handlebars instead."

Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a hook could
damage a rim. What say ye?

Ken Lehner

> Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a hook could
> damage a rim. What say ye?

"Cover your ass" is probably what his boss told him.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Originally posted by Ken Lehner

Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a hook could
damage a rim. What say ye?

Ken Lehner

Yet another covert attempt at an 'April Fools Day' spoof?!? :D

On 1 Apr 2004 07:35:03 -0800, [email protected] (Ken Lehner) wrote:
>Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a hook could
>damage a rim. What say ye?

I'd believe it for ultra-high-zoot low spoke count
carbon wheels.

Even though I know better for more common wheels, I feel
compelled to avoid hanging anything other than a beater on a
hook at the rim.

My favorite road bike hangs from two hooks at the top tube,
as described at groups.google.com/groups?&selm=oprtumuvb8w8-
gzvw%40news.east.cox.net
--
Rick Onanian

Ken Lehner wrote:

> A representative of a wheel manufacturer made the
> following public comment regarding hanging their boutique
> wheel by a hook (with attached bike):
>
> "I have been thinking about this one for a while. Our
> <brand_name_deleted> rim is designed to be very strong and
> durable. The caveat being, the loads were anticipated
> coming from the outside in on the rim. Hanging your bike
> will apply a load from the inside out. I want to say it
> will be fine but there are other variables. How much does
> the bike weigh, how small is the surface area of the hook
> etc. You are talking about carbon fiber so any kind of
> nick or crack could become more serious. A guy who was
> just here told me he hung his bike by the rim with Cosmic
> Carbones and the hooks dug right into the rim? Those are
> fairings so it isnt the same but bottom line I would
> advise against it. Try hanging your bike by the sddle and
> handlebars instead."
>
> Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a hook could
> damage a rim. What say ye?

Calshot velodrome hang *all* their bikes by the front wheel
(bikes hung by the back wheel are damaged and it means "do
not use this bike").

Personally I use the stem and the saddle nose, because
that's how far apart the joists in my garage happen to be.

It will only damage the rim if the bike is hung by the front
wheel, handlebars facing east, and where sunlight can fall
on it for more than three hours a day in a climate of 76=BA
avarage temperature with 40% humidity.

Has something to do with the geomagnetic resonance
interfering with the solar/cosmic radiation coming through
the silica glass panes.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (Ken Lehner) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The caveat being, the loads were anticipated coming from
> the outside in on the rim. Hanging your bike will apply a
> load from the inside out.

I cannot believe that *ANY* wheel could not withstand the
force of the weight of the bike, even applied "inside
out." I do believe that a bike could be handled roughly
enough so that hanging it on hook would apply localized
forces signicant enough to do damage to the rim,
especially on a surface intended to be only a "fairing,"
hence being non- structural. But then that's USCF/UCI
illegal anyhow, isn't it?

DR

klehner-<< Hard to believe hanging a bike by a wheel on a
hook could damage a rim. What say ye? >><BR><BR>

A rim designed to support a rider will not have a problem
supporting a bicycle when it is hanging.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> the loads were anticipated coming from the outside in on
> the rim. Hanging your bike will apply a load from the
> inside out.

True enough, but the hanging bike applies a small static
load to the rim that is insignificant compared to the
dynamic load of even a small rider hitting a small pothole
in the road at a moderate speed.

> how small is the surface area of the hook etc. You are
> talking about carbon fiber so any kind of nick or crack
> could become more serious. A guy who was just here told me
> he hung his bike by the rim with Cosmic Carbones and the
> hooks dug right into the rim

It is not rocket science to avoid that sort of mechanical
damage to one's pricey, delicate aero rims.

> the loads were anticipated coming from the outside in on
> the rim. Hanging your bike will apply a load from the
> inside out.

True enough, but the hanging bike applies a small static
load to the rim that is insignificant compared to the
dynamic load of even a small rider hitting a small pothole
in the road at a moderate speed.

> how small is the surface area of the hook etc. You are
> talking about carbon fiber so any kind of nick or crack
> could become more serious. A guy who was just here told
> me he hung his bike by the rim with Cosmic Carbones and
> the hooks dug right into the rim

It is not rocket science to avoid that sort of mechanical
damage to one's pricey, delicate aero rims.

> APRIL FOOL!

Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31 on
a triathlon forum, as was the response from a
representative of the wheel manufacturer. I posted here to
get some opinions from those who might be helpful. Your
reply was not.

Ken Lehner

Ken Lehner writes:

>> APRIL FOOL!

> Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31
> on a triathlon forum, as was the response from a
> representative of the wheel manufacturer. I posted here to
> get some opinions from those who might be helpful. Your
> reply was not.

That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in
that case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid
question as was the answer if it was not adequately
explained in that forum. It has been discussed here a few
times with inane "maybe's". If the hook isn't padded then it
can scratch the rim, but that's about it for the method.

In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the
front wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In
this part of California busses of some transit systems are
are equipped with hooks to hang several bicycle side-by-
side on the rear of the bus with the tires riding in a u-
shaped channel.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Originally posted by Jobst Brandt
Ken Lehner writes:

>> APRIL FOOL!

> Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31
> on a triathlon forum, as was the response from a
> representative of the wheel manufacturer. I posted here to
> get some opinions from those who might be helpful. Your
> reply was not.

That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but in
that case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid
question as was the answer if it was not adequately
explained in that forum. It has been discussed here a few
times with inane "maybe's". If the hook isn't padded then it
can scratch the rim, but that's about it for the method.

In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the
front wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In
this part of California busses of some transit systems are
are equipped with hooks to hang several bicycle side-by-
side on the rear of the bus with the tires riding in a u-
shaped channel.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid
questions (see Dilbert).

But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers
certainly exist.

You might ponder how long it's been since you asked
a real question, stupid or otherwise, before condemning
the original poster.

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> Sorry, not. The original question was posted on March 31
>>> on a triathlon forum, as was the response from a
>>> representative of the wheel manufacturer. I posted here
>>> to get some opinions from those who might be helpful.
>>> Your reply was not.

>> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway but
>> in that case, putting it in another way, it is a stupid
>> question as was the answer if it was not adequately
>> explained in that forum. It has been discussed here a few
>> times with inane "maybe's". If the hook isn't padded then
>> it can scratch the rim, but that's about it for the
>> method.

>> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from the
>> front wheel in baggage areas and on trains and busses. In
>> this part of California busses of some transit systems
>> are are equipped with hooks to hang several bicycle side-by-
>> side on the rear of the bus with the tires riding in a u-
>> shaped channel.

> Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid questions
> (see Dilbert).

> But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers
> certainly exist.

> You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a real
> question, stupid or otherwise, before condemning the
> original poster.

Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question
posed by an adult bicyclist. As was explained, there are
enormous forces greater than a human can exert with the hand
on and in a bicycle wheel. The rim is so strong than it
cannot be visibly deformed by hand, the hand that can lift
an entire bicycle with ease. I don't believe in the dumbing
down of civilized people who should learn to discover such
basic things on their own.

You don't have to ask about everything, especially without
first thinking about it. It's not a research problem that
requires any special scientific background, just practical
living experience.

In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that
stupidity is standard. That's why we are supposed to believe
the world is safer now that the USA is out to "punish"
terrorists worldwide... and it is widely believed as we see
by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to make sense as
long as its said by "proper authority".

[email protected] wrote:

> ... You [Carl Fogel] don't have to ask about everything,
> especially without first thinking about it. It's not a
> research problem that requires any special scientific
> background, just practical living experience.

I believe that Mr. Fogel does feel a need to ask questions
about everything. :)

> In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that
> stupidity is standard. That's why we are supposed to
> believe the world is safer now that the USA is out to
> "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is widely believed
> as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to make
> sense as long as its said by "proper authority".

Stupidity (or at least not thinking in a logical manner)
does seem to be a rather common trait - one that is
increased by watching television.

Where do we get such racks?

Matt O'Toole asked whether I could produce a reference to
these hanging bike racks on buses. Alas, I am amazed at the
lack of information on the web (ala Google) here or abroad
on such racks. All I could find was a picture of Swiss
Railway bicycle rentals SBB where you can see such storage.
The density should be obvious. Buses with such racks can
take up to 8 bicycles in the back of the bus.

http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/2004/index.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

> >> That's close enough to be an April Fools joke anyway
> >> but in that case, putting it in another way, it is a
> >> stupid question as was the answer if it was not
> >> adequately explained in that forum. It has been
> >> discussed here a few times with inane "maybe's". If the
> >> hook isn't padded then it can scratch the rim, but
> >> that's about it for the method.
>
> >> In Europe, bicycles are regularly stored hanging from
> >> the front wheel in baggage areas and on trains and
> >> busses. In this part of California busses of some
> >> transit systems are are equipped with hooks to hang
> >> several bicycle side-by- side on the rear of the bus
> >> with the tires riding in a u- shaped channel.
>
> > Opinion is divided about the existence of stupid
> > questions (see Dilbert).
>
> > But as you sometimes demonstrate, stupid answers
> > certainly exist.
>
> > You might ponder how long it's been since you asked a
> > real question, stupid or otherwise, before condemning
> > the original poster.
>
> Maybe you have a better word for such an inane question
> posed by an adult bicyclist. As was explained, there are
> enormous forces greater than a human can exert with the
> hand on and in a bicycle wheel. The rim is so strong than
> it cannot be visibly deformed by hand, the hand that can
> lift an entire bicycle with ease. I don't believe in the
> dumbing down of civilized people who should learn to
> discover such basic things on their own.
>
> You don't have to ask about everything, especially without
> first thinking about it. It's not a research problem that
> requires any special scientific background, just practical
> living experience.
>
> In contrast, Dilbert is a result of the attitude that
> stupidity is standard. That's why we are supposed to
> believe the world is safer now that the USA is out to
> "punish" terrorists worldwide... and it is widely believed
> as we see by the many flag wavers. It doesn't have to make
> sense as long as its said by "proper authority".
>
> Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Dodged as usual.

Carl Fogel