Rim Drive Trainers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dellphinus, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Dellphinus

Dellphinus New Member

I've been toying with getting a trainer, and have been reading all the threads regarding noise, tire life, etc. Just came across a couple adds for rim drive trainers, but don't recall seeing them discussed in any of the threads.
    Can anyone offer any advice on rim drives? Noise? Effectiveness? Rim damage? Slippage?

Thanks,
    DP

Tags:

2. PixelPusher

PixelPusher New Member

Anybody? I've seen a couple from Minoura. Saving tires sounds appealing but does anyone have any problems with rim "wear"??

3. jamisbiker91

jamisbiker91 New Member

buy a regular trainer and a very cheap tire to use just on the trainer. when its shredded just go out and spend another $10 for another one.

4. afroboy

afroboy New Member

I've had a Rim trainer for bout two years. No problems noticed.

Cheers

5. PixelPusher

PixelPusher New Member

It's not really the tire replacement that worries me, it's the mess they make that I've been reading about. Rubber bits all over the place..... I would find myself in the proverbial doghouse if this new purchase spewed rubber bits all over the room!

6. PixelPusher

PixelPusher New Member

Thanks for the reply. I see you have a campag wheelset, are they "V" shaped? The reason I ask is I've read some threads where the rim drive will slip a lot if the rim doesn't have a fairly "square" shape. What model do you have?

7. con Brio

con Brio New Member

Up until last nothn, I was using a Minoura RimDrive Mag trainer for almost 5 yrs. with my mountain bike. It doesn't have enough resistance and it is loud!
    Finally, after requiring something more realistic to the road, and after getting a road bike, I upgraded to the CycleOps Fluid2... best trainer ever!