rim liners

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Vieselmeye, May 29, 2003.

  1. Is anyone aware of any problems with plastic rim liners? I have a set of wheels with cloth tape
    liners that's frayed and bunched up, exposing some of the spoke holes, and I wanted to replace them
    with plastic liners (which I have on several other wheels with no problems). The guy at my LBS says
    they no longer carry the plastic liners because with double wall rims they get blowouts in the spoke
    holes. He also mentioned that Specialized (their main supplier) stopped making them, so maybe it's
    just that brand that had problems?

    - mark

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Mark Vieselmeyer writes:

    > Is anyone aware of any problems with plastic rim liners? I have a set of wheels with cloth tape
    > liners that's frayed and bunched up, exposing some of the spoke holes, and I wanted to replace
    > them with plastic liners (which I have on several other wheels with no problems). The guy at my
    > LBS says they no longer carry the plastic liners because with double wall rims they get blowouts
    > in the spoke holes. He also mentioned that Specialized (their main supplier) stopped making them,
    > so maybe it's just that brand that had problems?

    I suppose there is some truth to those claims but not all plastic liners are alike. Michelin made a
    good one (hard and yellow) that had all the right attributes of stiffness and snug fit but with age
    it slit lengthwise. I've always used Kool-Stop strips on my Mavic MA-2 rims and had no problem. They
    last longer than the rims.

  3. Rob Cohen

    Rob Cohen Guest

    I just swapped the tire on a rim with a yellow Michelin liner. The liner had distended (herniated)
    into the spoke holes, though not enough to completely rupture. I've not had that problem (or any
    other) with Velox (cloth) liners. I'll be using Velox in the future.

    Rob

  4. On Thu, 29 May 2003 12:46:17 +0000, Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

    > Is anyone aware of any problems with plastic rim liners? I have a set of wheels with cloth tape
    > liners that's frayed and bunched up, exposing some of the spoke holes, and I wanted to replace
    > them with plastic liners (which I have on several other wheels with no problems). The guy at my
    > LBS says they no longer carry the plastic liners because with double wall rims they get blowouts
    > in the spoke holes. He also mentioned that Specialized (their main supplier) stopped making them,
    > so maybe it's just that brand that had problems?

    There are some plastic rim strips that are OK, but most are not so good. The better ones are
    fiber-reinforced; the biggest problem with them is that they will, in time, crack over the spoke
    hole. This produces flats.

    I really prefer cloth. I have some that are several years old, and have been used on a number of
    rims, without fraying or bunching up. I wonder how old yours are? Maybe replacing them once a
    decade, at $3 per, is not such a bad idea.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  5. Snortley

    Snortley Guest

    I've been using Schwalbe plastic Super HP Rim Tapes (http://www.schwalbetires.com/accessories.htm)
    with no problem for about 10,000 miles, which isn't really long enough to judge by, but they seem
    very sturdy. Unfortunately they're hard to get in the states any way but mail-order, so shipping
    adds to the cost unless you're buying other stuff in the same shipment. You got to be very careful
    if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

    - Yogi Berra

  6. Mike Demicco

    Mike Demicco Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 12:46:17 -0700, Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

    > The guy at my LBS says they no longer carry the plastic liners because with double wall rims they
    > get blowouts in the spoke holes. He also mentioned that Specialized (their main supplier) stopped
    > making them, so maybe it's just that brand that had problems?

    I had the Specialized ones on both a road and mountain bike. On both bikes, the rimstrip melted from
    the heat of braking and extruded into a spoke hole causing a flat. Prior to that, I tried Michelins
    and they split at the spoke holes. I also tried the Kool Stops and were not overly impressed with
    them either, as, over time, they had severe dimpling at the spoke holes. I switched back to Velox
    cloth tape.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]

  7. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    Why not use Velox cloth tape? It isn't a synthetic that will not decompose. If your going to ride
    you might as well use something that will not hurt the environment. If you are that terribly
    concerned about spoke-through punctures You might as well have the wheel rebuilt if you think it's
    that bad... Velox worx!!!

    NS

  8. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >Why not use Velox cloth tape? It isn't a synthetic that will not decompose. If your going to ride
    >you might as well use something that will not hurt the environment. If you are that terribly
    >concerned about
    >
    >spoke-through punctures You might as well have the wheel rebuilt if you
    >
    >think it's that bad... Velox worx!!!

    Huh? I've used Velox tapes for years and they don't decompose. What are you smoking today?
    Phil Brown

  9. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    I'm talking in a compost pile. After you replace the old Velox tape after many years of riding... If
    you throw the old Velox cloth tape away it will decompose in a compost pile fast, whereas the
    plastic could last uncomposted for a thousand years or more. It's just more ecologically friendly
    than plastics or Rubber-like products.

    NS

  10. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    With some plastic rim strips you risk the strip melting. This happens on tandems. The plastic
    softens and you get the implosion of the tube.

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:05:42 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are some plastic rim strips that are OK, but most are not so good. The better ones are
    >fiber-reinforced; the biggest problem with them is that they will, in time, crack over the spoke
    >hole. This produces flats.

  11. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Paul Kopit writes:

    >> There are some plastic rim strips that are OK, but most are not so good. The better ones are
    >> fiber-reinforced; the biggest problem with them is that they will, in time, crack over the spoke
    >> hole. This produces flats.

    I don't know that there are plastic strips with grains in them, only that Kool-Stop strips do not
    penetrate even with an exposed spoke tip protruding to make a bump in the strip.

    > With some plastic rim strips you risk the strip melting. This happens on tandems. The plastic
    > softens and you get the implosion of the tube.

    Kool-Stop strips can take the heat, although it may cause them to conform to the things they cover.
    Since failing spokes are less of a concern these days, they once were, and lifting a plastic strip
    undamaged is an advantage over adhesive tapes that easily break. It's still good to know the plastic
    Kool-Stop will work if a spoke fails.

  12. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Paul Kopit writes:

    >> There are some plastic rim strips that are OK, but most are not so good. The better ones are
    >> fiber-reinforced; the biggest problem with them is that they will, in time, crack over the spoke
    >> hole. This produces flats.

    I don't know that there are plastic strips with fibers in them, only that Kool-Stop strips do not

  13. David L. Johnson wrote:

    : There are some plastic rim strips that are OK, but most are not so good. The better ones are
    : fiber-reinforced; the biggest problem with them is that they will, in time, crack over the spoke
    : hole. This produces flats.

    : I really prefer cloth. I have some that are several years old, and have been used on a number of
    : rims, without fraying or bunching up. I wonder how old yours are? Maybe replacing them once a
    : decade, at $3 per, is not such a bad idea.

    The wheels are only a few years old. The rim strips are a thin nylon fabric tape, not like the velox
    stuff. After taking a closer look, it seems the tape was too wide. The rim has a cross-section
    something like:

    | |
    |o_o|
    \_/

    The tape was getting pushed off the "o" beads. I think I'll try some narrow Velox tape that fits
    between the beads.

    As for the plastic strips, the couple places I've checked locally don't carry them. I've found a
    couple places on the web that have the Michelin ones, but I can't find any mention of the Kool
    Stop ones.

    - mark