rim/nipple corrosion

I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
my nipples are made of aluminium?

On Aug 11, 1:24 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
> my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
> of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
> my nipples are made of aluminium?

yes...

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:25:59 -0000, "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Aug 11, 1:24 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
>> my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
>> of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
>> my nipples are made of aluminium?

>yes...

I have just about the same problem, on a fairly recent wheel - the LBS
guy who built the wheel for me told me he had used "extra light"
niples, which is something never heard about before, and I now know I
don't want them ever again in a wheel I pay for: the other day I was
trueing this wheel, and the nipples came apart, some literally into
dust...

I had never seen this before, on several other wheels I've trued now
and then. I was shocked.

This problem is hapening on my rear wheel - nice ;-( My front was
built at another LBS, and while they did not use "extra light" niples
- these have the usual lenght - they asked if wanted the nipples made
of aluminum or of any other material ....

Therefore my question, especially since I Iive by the seaside: what
should nipples be made of, instead of aluminum??

Thanks,
bbb

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:49:04 GMT, [email protected] (BigBenBiker) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:25:59 -0000, "Qui si parla
>Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 11, 1:24 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>> I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
>>> my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
>>> of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
>>> my nipples are made of aluminium?

>>yes...

>I have just about the same problem, on a fairly recent wheel - the LBS
>guy who built the wheel for me told me he had used "extra light"
>niples, which is something never heard about before, and I now know I
>don't want them ever again in a wheel I pay for: the other day I was
>trueing this wheel, and the nipples came apart, some literally into
>dust...
>
>I had never seen this before, on several other wheels I've trued now
>and then. I was shocked.
>
>This problem is hapening on my rear wheel - nice ;-( My front was
>built at another LBS, and while they did not use "extra light" niples
>- these have the usual lenght - they asked if wanted the nipples made
>of aluminum or of any other material ....
>
>Therefore my question, especially since I Iive by the seaside: what
>should nipples be made of, instead of aluminum??

Standard brass nipples seem to hold up fine. I don't see any reason to look for
anything else. I'd change your aluminum ones now before they corrode into place
or just start crumbling and falling off the bike.

Ron

BigBenBiker wrote:
> I have just about the same problem, on a fairly recent wheel - the LBS
> guy who built the wheel for me told me he had used "extra light"
> niples, which is something never heard about before, and I now know I
> don't want them ever again in a wheel I pay for: the other day I was
> trueing this wheel, and the nipples came apart, some literally into
> dust...
>
> I had never seen this before, on several other wheels I've trued now
> and then. I was shocked.
>
> This problem is hapening on my rear wheel - nice ;-( My front was
> built at another LBS, and while they did not use "extra light" niples
> - these have the usual lenght - they asked if wanted the nipples made
> of aluminum or of any other material ....
>
> Therefore my question, especially since I Iive by the seaside: what
> should nipples be made of, instead of aluminum??

Plated brass. And lubricated during build, too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org