Rim recommendation please

Originally Posted by alienator .

Really? First, have you ever used tubulars? Are you prepared to spend a day getting tires glued to rims properly, and then are you prepared to carry a spare glued tire with you?
Lol! If someone hasn't glued a tire before the learning curve is gonna be longer than a day, and definitely require a real commitment. Like anything else will require some experience on top of some good tutelage (which is now fortunately available on YT) to start getting nice, true, and secure mounts. But be prepared to mount a dozen or more tires before really getting the hang of it down.

On top of that clincher advancements have brought clincher CoRR way down, lower now than tubulars, and 23mm+ wide clincher rims have lowered RR even further - 18% to be precise compared vs. a 19mm width rim all things being equal (as measured by Continental).

And finally, if going with tubbies (I happen to love 'em), we don't even know what the rim integrity or braking is like from this brand x. If going with CF clinchers I would want to be fully sure the R&D had worked out these issues. As recently as the 2010 model year, even a reputable brand like Reynolds had their CF clinchers failing on long descents.

I must have been lucky. A friend showed me how to glue one set, and then I glued a set in front of him. That was it. I was a good tubie gluer from then on. As they say, though, YMMV (your mileage may vary or your mom's moist vagina, depending on the circumstance and how attractive your acquaintance's mom is).

Originally Posted by alienator .

A friend showed me how to glue one set, and then I glued a set in front of him. That was it. I was a good tubie gluer from then on.
That's the ticket. I would have probably gotten up to speed a lot quicker that way. My first pair arrived from one of the mail-order houses in the early 80's - no instruction from YT or a friend in the know. I was very excited to show off my new hoops at the Central Park boathouse where we congregated and mounted them up as soon as they came. I didn't know about proper mounting technique or even pre-stretching the things. Needless to say I showed up at the benches with red Vittoria glue everywhere - hands, tires, rims, you name it. My friends and I had a good laugh. It took hours to get the extra glue off everywhere that night and I was actually happy when each of those virgin tires expired as I got a chance at redemption.

In retrospect, a good mount imo very often had more to do with the tire than the skill of the installer. Vittoria CX's always mounted up pretty darn true with minimal hopping. In comparison the cheaper Mondiale's always seemed to be struggling to roll of the rim.

Vittoria's always mounted a bit nicer for me than Contis (Sprinters). Someone once gave me a set of Tufos and said, "Try 'em. You'll love 'em." I was already wary of their reputation, but I trusted my friend wouldn't steer me wrong. While mounting them, I cursed, "What the hell!" as they were right bastards to get on. Riding them I cursed, "What the hell!" as they rode like frozen garden hose. They came off the rims quickly--I mean that I pulled them off the rims quickly--and were just as quickly chucked in the garbage. Friends don't let friends ride Tufos.

Not everyone is terrible at all things mechanicial. I have glued tubular car tires on wood rims, so I think I will be allright. (spent 2 years at a tire shop before joining the Corps). These red wheels look bad ass. Yes I do know how to brake as to not overheat the wheels. Its not brain surgery. Just because its a chineese wheel don't hate. If there was only 1 company making them and they copied it, then yea be ******. but there a ton of people making them. and wether you like it or not competition is good for the wheel market.

David Gerchman said:
Not everyone is terrible at all things mechanicial. I have glued tubular car tires on wood rims, so I think I will be allright. (spent 2 years at a tire shop before joining the Corps). These red wheels look bad ass. Yes I do know how to brake as to not overheat the wheels. Its not brain surgery. Just because its a chineese wheel don't hate. If there was only 1 company making them and they copied it, then yea be ******. but there a ton of people making them. and wether you like it or not competition is good for the wheel market.
Wow. You really misread everything. First, you haven't given a reason for wanting to ride tubulars. If you just want to for the hell of it, so be it, but there's no magic performance involved. There is also a wee bit of difference in the flat potential of car tires versus bike tires. Yeah, I know you know all about that stuff. I don't think anyone has any clue what red wheels you are talking about. Of course, you're an expert on braking. Who would have thought any less. Surely it's won't be a surprise that cyclists with much more experience riding bikes and braking on bikes on descents have still had issues with braking heat and CF clincher failures. Yeah, but you're different. You'll obviously ace it. You obviously operate many levels above those simple, much more experienced cyclists especially given that you said such things aren't brain surgery. There again you misread completely what was said about generic wheels. No one expressed hate. That interpretation is the result of you either willfully or ignorantly misreading what was written. Your comment about competition is just stupid because no one said anything about competition, against competition, or anything related to that. Now, read very carefully:
  1. It was said that with the vast majority of generic carbon fiber clinchers, it is unstated and completely unclear what, if any, research said companies have invested in studying the management of braking heat in a CF clincher brake track and what, if any, technology exists in their CF clinchers to manage brake heat.
  2. It was stated there have been quite a few failures of generic CF clinchers. That's only a fact, but you seem to be the kind of guy that doesn't let those facts get in the way......or that does any research to really understand a topic. You can search that topic on the web, and you'll find quite number of such failures.
  3. You have no clue at all about the companies selling the generic CF clinchers or tubulars and what guarantee or warranty, if any, exists.
  4. You have no clue what customer service exists at those same companies.
So, it looks like this is just another instance of you putting words in other people's mouths. Yeah, I know you say you haven't done that, but what you say kind of makes it seem that you don't know what the phrase means. Obviously you're well equipped with all of your cycling experience and experience with cycling components to make your own decision without any input, input which you deride anyway. Given the heights of your bike knowledge and of your real world experience, I wonder why it is you have to stoop to asking about bike tires. After all, you did spend two years working at a tire shop, and you've not been shy about extending the knowledge gleaned from that experience to areas in which that experience is.......irrelevant in many ways. The last thing you want is to be open to new ideas and suggestions because, well, being open to new ideas and suggestions doesn't look very bad ass. You need be sure that at all times you think you look bad ass. After all, looking bad ass is really impressive.........to you.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"Its not brain surgery."

Exactly.
From Bike Forums.net...

04-05-11, 01:35 AM
So I was last week on Tenerife and I did the mandatory climb from coast to Teide caldera(about 40km, 2,2km vertical). I was using my new chinese carbon wheelset (50mm carbon clinchers, for the first time) that I had bought from Miracle trade.

The climb went well but on the way back, pretty soon, like after a few kilometers the rear brake starts to make some noise. I stopped to check the brakes and the wheel and then noticed that there is a bump on the rear rim. Green line indicates where the rim sidewall should be.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5070/110504rimfail.jpg

I don't think that my braking was excessive but I suppose that the friction heat might have softened that spot and then the tire pressure pushed that part out. Either that or then the wheel is just ****.

I'd hazard CF clincher rims fail as often as violence occurs on bike trails. Not often, but when it happens... Lucky egg roll with your order? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Edit: if there's any consolation deforming tubular rims are probably less likely to result in a catastrophic (blowout) scenario, unless of course you consider a tire possibly rolling off a wheel catastrophic.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/are-carbon-fiber-clinchers-safe-34521/

Can happen with just about any CC wheel, regardless of epoxy resin formula, CF material, pads, etc. Rider weight, descent and braking style still rule the temperature charts.

I have no doubt I could kill the November clinchers if I tried. It's not been rocket surgery keeping them in one piece either though. Common sense prevails.

I like this quote: "Like any sport, cycling can be dangerous. Choosing your equipment is important to the level of athlete that you are.” And: “We believe our carbon clinchers are good for everyone, as long as they have some experience,” Aguero said.

Some rocket surgery from November: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/2012/6/12/goin-down-slow.html